The leafs should _____ offseason thread

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Washington re-structured a lot of their core and had draft picks pull through in Carlson, Kuznetsov, Holtby and Wilson.

Ovechkin and Backstrom were the only ones to really ride out the whole thing. What you're suggesting would have been riding out Green and Semin.

Well thats the point. If they didnt overreact and turnover the regular season juggernaut team that was very scary when they were hot, maybe they had their day with the cup earlier. Maybe they had more than one.

Maybe not.

But Carlson and Kuznetsov and Holtby were in their ways there anyways. Its not like they specifically restructrured by those guys, its more about they were able to get it done despite restructuring a good team because they were good/fortunate to draft them from late 1sts (and a 4th round) while they were regular season juggeenauts. Those guys coming through Hershey and become what they were, and then Caps being patient and ride it out with ”the second Ovechkin core” instead of ”restructuring it again” after 2017 (the year that was their ”last chance”) eventually saved them from having 0 cups, not Caps restructuring that way.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's so similar to the Red Sox before 2004. The Boston market for baseball was brutal then. So much pressure. You think 1967 was bad... imagine 1918.
Will the Leafs catch the Red Sox drought?

2004 - 1918 = 86 years
2024 - 1967 = 57 years and counting
Well thats the point. If they didnt overreact and turnover the regular season juggernaut team that was very scary when they were hot, maybe they had their day with the cup earlier. Maybe they had more than one.

Maybe not.

But Carlson and Kuznetsov and Holtby were in their ways there anyways. Its not like they specifically restructrured by those guys, its more about they were able to get it done despite restructuring because they were good/fortunate to draft them from late 1sts (and a 4th round). Those guys coming through Hershey and become what they were saved them from having 0 cups, not Caps restructuring that way.
Difference is Dubas traded every draft pick to go all in on the “core 4” group and it didn’t work.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Find me another fan base where the entire media apparatus protects the team and the players with endless softball questions. Sure you'll have the odd journalist go off script every so often but overall its comprised of a large volume of shill reporters who are employed by the same owners of the team.
I can't.

I just assume it's a hell of a hard place to coach.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The roster isn't constructed to win Championships. If they don't make a change with the core 4 this offseason we'll be having the exact same conversation this time next year. They overpaid 4 forwards that don't perform well in the playoffs. It squeezes their ability to add quality depth and defense, relying on bargain bin patchwaork fixes that get them nowhere. 95% of these boards have been saying this since Tavares was signed.

I think the core 4 really are ok with losing in the playoffs and cashing their checks, they're accustomed to losing and going through the motions. It's clear as day they don't hate to lose and they're not chasing a Cup above all else like MacKinnon does. A lot of coaches whine about calls, which I cannot stand at all (looking at you Jon Cooper), but all things considered in Toronto I think they would've been better served not having Keefe bringing it up so much in the media. He needed to toughen them up and push them through adversity instead of allowing excuses to set in.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
So let me get this straight... Rob Brind'Amour, who has lived in NC for 25 years... captained the team to it's only Stanley Cup, and is universally loved and respected by the fanbase, as well as the players and organization... is going to move to the most chaotic and dysfunctional hockey market which 99% of the time ends up killing a coach's career... also while uprooting (or leaving behind) his young family who is closely connected to UNC Asheville basketball coaching legend, Eddie Beiderbach (Rod's now father-in-law), who has been in NC since 1978.

FWIW I don't think any of the rumors say Rod wants to leave Carolina.

All of the insiders say he is facing enormous pressure from other coaches, but around the league and on his staff, to push for a higher salary as it bolsters their numbers too.

Ie if Rod signs for 2M, his assistants probably get like 300-400K. If he signs for 5M they might be able to ask for 1M etc

Sounds like the same kind of pressure superstar guys face from the PA for taking "home town discounts"

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
What about the other 24 teams that are eliminated?
Pathetic loser excuse by the biggest Leaf homer of them all. The loser mentality has seeped down into some fans’ minds I see.

Deep down inside you, you know why the Leafs failure is different than the other teams’. Youve just buried the answer to cope. If you need help digging out the demon, let me know, and Ill gladly pull it out to the surface for you. Forewarning, your “Divine”” 4 will have to be blasphemed against

Reactions: Samhockey3

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
FWIW I don't think any of the rumors say Rod wants to leave Carolina.

All of the insiders say he is facing enormous pressure from other coaches, but around the league and on his staff, to push for a higher salary as it bolsters their numbers too.

Ie if Rod signs for 2M, his assistants probably get like 300-400K. If he signs for 5M they might be able to ask for 1M etc

Sounds like the same kind of pressure superstar guys face from the PA for taking "home town discounts"
Sure, but you also have to respect the process and hierarchy of things too. Carolina operates their team very differently than other organizations around the league. We jokingly call them the 'borg' on here for a reason. GM, assistant GM, stat nerds, coaching staff... all of their roles are somewhat structured differently than elsewhere. Dundon has put together people who are very good at certain specific things and they are in charge of doing that, and kind of only that. But then when big decisions are made it's a collaboration between the parties and 'best idea wins' is kind of the process.

To some degree people are paid less than what they may get in another organization but also, they don't have to do as much. They do the stuff they are really good at, and don't have to focus on other stuff that they might have to take on elsewhere.

So, for Rod's coaching staff they have to understand that the way they work and get to operate in Carolina isn't necessarily going to be the same in other locations. For some people only money matters. For some people making 'enough money' while being able to do things the way you want to do them is important and that's kind of the idea behind how the Hurricanes operate. If you want absolute top dollar then you probably aren't going to get it here but you might if you can prove that you're worth it.

Dundon is a big proponent in defining market value. He will pay people but they have to make a case that they are worth that much or if he really values you then you have to see what you can get elsewhere. That's what happened with negotiations with Waddell.

It would be shocking for Rod to leave but it obviously could happen. Dundon has shown that if you make a tangible positive difference towards the team winning then he will play ball to keep you in the organization. We lost Forslund because unfortunately, being the best pbp guy doesn't help your team win. It's sad but true, but we move on and we understand it. Losing a top tier coach is going to have a huge negative effect on the team so I don't think Rod leaves unless he asks for something ludicrous, which he hasn't shown any indication that he will.

Reactions: DaveG

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So let me get this straight... Rob Brind'Amour, who has lived in NC for 25 years... captained the team to it's only Stanley Cup, and is universally loved and respected by the fanbase, as well as the players and organization... is going to move to the most chaotic and dysfunctional hockey market which 99% of the time ends up killing a coach's career... also while uprooting (or leaving behind) his young family who is closely connected to UNC Asheville basketball coaching legend, Eddie Beiderbach (Rod's now father-in-law), who has been in NC since 1978.

So.......your saying there's a chance he will? :)

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
What about the other 24 teams that are eliminated?
They aren't quoted saying "we were right there". Because they were nowhere close to anywhere of significance.

At the end of the day, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The team isn't built for playoffs. Then results speak for themselves.

They aren't almost there. They aren't even close. They're just a regular season team at this point.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I heard they're gonna use a cyborg coach that has it's thoughts created based on HF posts. Leafs winning the cup for sure if that's the case.
I got you bro. Built by HFBoards and DALL-E

file-aXrHk1thaJ0wsWtBy5NImp7Z

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'll be surprised if Tavares, Marner and Keefe are with the Leafs come October.
Marner they could probably get a good value for if a team is able to work out an extension with him at reasonable terms before pulling the trigger. Obviously that's a big if.

Their best bet for getting value on Tavares would be to wait until they pay him the 7 million signing bonus he's due this year and then offload him to a team that either is struggling to get to the floor or has a ton of cap space but no money since it would be an 11 million cap hit for only 900k actual cash.

Marner has a similar contract structure, but I doubt a team that would be interested in trading for him really cares about pinching pennies. They'd be doing it because they think they might be able to slot him in a sheltered role surrounded with high quality playoff vets and make it work.

Biggest issue might be that both have full NMCs so you can just ship them out.

Edit: As for Keefe. Yea if he's behind the bench next year you might as well just fold the franchise.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Marner they could probably get a good value for if a team is able to work out an extension with him at reasonable terms before pulling the trigger. Obviously that's a big if.

Their best bet for getting value on Tavares would be to wait until they pay him the 7 million signing bonus he's due this year and then offload him to a team that either is struggling to get to the floor or has a ton of cap space but no money since it would be an 11 million cap hit for only 900k actual cash.

Marner has a similar contract structure, but I doubt a team that would be interested in trading for him really cares about pinching pennies. They'd be doing it because they think they might be able to slot him in a sheltered role surrounded with high quality playoff vets and make it work.

Biggest issue might be that both have full NMCs so you can just ship them out.

Edit: As for Keefe. Yea if he's behind the bench next year you might as well just fold the franchise.
Pretty sure Vegas would take both of them somehow.

Give you a 1st, Theodore, Hill, and a bunch of those muckers and grinders you guys seem to be so keen on - Kolesar, Roy, and or Barbashev?

Then they would let Marchessault, Martinez, Mantha, and Stephenson walk to pretend like they're semi cap compliant.

Last edited:

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

yes

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If they fail to even get a win in the 3rd round again would they want to extend him though?
Yes. Who is going to come in and do a better job?

The team plays as well as it does because Rod is the coach. It's not overflowing with superstar talent that underachieves. It's quite the opposite.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes. Who is going to come in and do a better job?

The team plays as well as it does because Rod is the coach. It's not overflowing with superstar talent that underachieves. It's quite the opposite.
Coaches usually have a shelf life when they’ve stalled.

Sure there’s no real superstars, although I’d argue Aho is, but it’s very deep.

Cassidy was let go despite arguably a better result and similar roster makeup

Bot saying it will happen, but it wouldn’t be the first time a team decides to go in another direction when they’re not improving

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Coaches usually have a shelf life when they’ve stalled.

Sure there’s no real superstars, although I’d argue Aho is, but it’s very deep.

Cassidy was let go despite arguably a better result and similar roster makeup

Bot saying it will happen, but it wouldn’t be the first time a team decides to go in another direction when they’re not improving
Well, as many Canes fans will tell you, barring some sort of incident where RBA and the org have some sort of atomic blowup at each other he's a Canes lifer and not going anywhere. They don't really subscribe to the norm of what other NHL teams do... making changes for change sake. If they think there's a better coach out there than Rod or he asks for an absolutely unreasonable amount of money then they could look to move on. Otherwise, they aren't going to make change for change sake.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The Leafs are like the rich version of the Sabres. We’re tied together by ineptitude, hoorah.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Loser mentality is something people have made up in an attempt to crack some non-existent code.

It’s not that complicated.

The Leafs keep losing playoff series because they haven’t had enough luck to compensate for the fact they haven’t been the better team

Reactions: Jyrki
Dec 15, 2002
No, once Carolina is out and he doesn't get a contract offer he'll go back to St. Louis, the team that drafted him and where he got his NHL start, and he'll take over much like what he had in Carolina: a young-ish team with talent, trying to work through transition, and he'll make his mark there molding the team into one that navigates the transition successfully, adds in more young talent, and ....

[taps earpiece]

Oh, wait, the Blues have their permanent head coach. Never mind.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Okay. It's just amusing to see a "Bruins" fan feeling the need to defend the Leafs in a Habs/Leafs feud.
That's why I love these boards.
No different then Habs fans 'defending' the Bruins in Bruins/Leafs threads, which obviously happened the last few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad