a look back at the 05 draft

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
then i guess you didn't see him in the wjc,

I guess you didn't either.

Downie has all of the offensive wizardry of Ken Daneyko with a blindfold on. Watching him on the PP was frustrating in the least because it never seemed like he knew what he was doing: he was reactionary vs. pro-actionary.

This isn't to say that he wasn't a solid pick where he was picked because he certainly was, but I think that even a Darcy Tucker comparison might be too far off.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Nothing to do with his stats. Everything to do with his play. You don't have to ask me, ask some Sudbury fans.
You are right, he has some high upside if he can put everything together including his attitude. Unfortunately his downside is just as great and considering his drafting position there is a good chance of him being a big bust.

There were times last year when I was questioning the whole team and not just Pouliot.

Even the mighty Marc Staal had his bone-headed games.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
a habs fan who doesn't love price and admits all the prospects you have is not going to be stars. thats nice to see.:D

that's not the problem, Carey Price is a real nice propspect, atleast from the 3 games i saw last november, but that pick was way too much a BPA before need pick, we were in need of a scoring center or a D with alot of potential, and we had a top5 pick to do it!Price has the potential to be picked where he is, he has all the tools to be a franchise goalie, but.... we could still of drafted a center or defensmen witch we're mostly still in need today...

redwingsfan said:
here is what i would have wanted the first round to look like.

1. sidney crosby
2. jack johnson
3. gilbert brule
4. bobby ryan
5. benoit puoliot
6. jack skille
7. tuukka rask
8. anze kopitar
9. carey price
10. marc staal
11. luc bourdon
12. devin setoguchi
13. marek zagrapan
14. brian lee
15. niklas bergors
16. alex bourret
17. ryan o'marra
18. kendall mcardle
19. ryan parent
20. t.j. oshie
21. jakub kindl
22. martin hanzal
23. steve downie
24. matt lashoff
25. ryan stoa
26. peter kalus
27. andrew cogliano
28. matt niskanen
29. brendan mikkelson
30. ondrej pavelec

not considering wich team that selected or what the team needed.
what no Latendresse??? he only had 43 goals in 51 game last year and would of probably played in the NHL with atleast half of all nhl teams last year.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
what no Latendresse??? he only had 43 goals in 51 game last year and would of probably played in the NHL with atleast half of all nhl teams last year.[/QUOTE]

sorry. just a mistake. change mikkelson with latendresse and it's complete.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
:dunno:

ok mr. now it all. zagrapan is allready a star. why didn't he get picked #2 if there is no risk at all.

He was the BPA by far for me so it makes it a no-brainer. I'm just questioning the fact that you think his pick at #13 was a risk when it certainly wasn't.

If the Ducks had picked him at #2, yes it would have been a risk.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He was the BPA by far for me so it makes it a no-brainer. I'm just questioning the fact that you think his pick at #13 was a risk when it certainly wasn't.

If the Ducks had picked him at #2, yes it would have been a risk.

BPA at # 13. no way. bergors, rask, bourret and oshie are better IMO. and just bacause you have a different opinion then me. doesn't make your opinion a fact. and zagrapan has not develop that much from last year btw.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
a habs fan who doesn't love price and admits all the prospects you have is not going to be stars. thats nice to see.:D

What a dumb comment:shakehead

First of all what is wrong with liking Price? What, it makes Habs fans all homers if they like the Price pick?

I was surprised by the Price pick too, I won't lie, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right pick to make. Price is a great prospect, and seeing how the Habs have traded Theodore last year, it shows good clairvoyance from their staff.

I would of loved Brule too, I won't lie about that either. However, given what i've seen of Price and what is our goaltending situation for the next 3 to 4 years, I really like the pick. If both players pan out to their full potential, you've got...

1. a franchise center to build around for the next 10-12 years (given he's healthy)
2. a franchise goalie to build around for the next 10-12 years.

Gilbert Brule is an elite prospect, but let's not hold that against Price just because he was picked ahead of him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
What a dumb comment:shakehead

First of all what is wrong with liking Price? What, it makes Habs fans all homers if they like the Price pick?

I was surprised by the Price pick too, I won't lie, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right pick to make. Price is a great prospect, and seeing how the Habs have traded Theodore last year, it shows good clairvoyance from their staff.

I would of loved Brule too, I won't lie about that either. However, given what i've seen of Price and what is our goaltending situation for the next 3 to 4 years, I really like the pick. If both players pan out to their full potential, you've got...

1. a franchise center to build around for the next 10-12 years (given he's healthy)
2. a franchise goalie to build around for the next 10-12 years.

Gilbert Brule is an elite prospect, but let's not hold that against Price just because he was picked ahead of him.

is price ALL your prospects. i wasn't only talking about him. i was talking about all the other habs prospects thats overrated on these boards. like the kostitsyns, latendresse, chipchura, carle,maxwell, even halak has been talked about as a future #1 goalie. take a look at your roster how many off those players have you developed yourself to be stars. the only on that comes to mind is koivu right. the fact is the habs cant be doing a very good job with their prospects. and the reason i use the word stars is because all off the mentioned players aboce have been talked about as future stars.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
oh and there is nothing wrong with just liking price, but he has been called a franchise goalie allready. i'm not saying that he cant be one, but he is only 19. give him a feaw years let him develop and we will see in a feaw years what he will turn out to be.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
is price ALL your prospects. i wasn't only talking about him. i was talking about all the other habs prospects thats overrated on these boards. like the kostitsyns, latendresse, chipchura, carle,maxwell, even halak has been talked about as a future #1 goalie. take a look at your roster how many off those players have you developed yourself to be stars. the only on that comes to mind is koivu right. the fact is the habs cant be doing a very good job with their prospects. and the reason i use the word stars is because all off the mentioned players aboce have been talked about as future stars.

Another ridiculous comment...

So according to you (apparently someone made you some type of prospect God)

all of :Price, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Chipchura, Carle, Maxwell and Halak are overrated?

What do you base this on? The fact that 'some' Habs fans are high on these prospects? Because i'll assure you 120 % Habs fans aren't the only one's who think highly of any and all of those players.

And of the players we've developped you mention only Koivu as noteworthy, well just so you know the Habs also developped guys like Mike Ribeiro, Andrei Markov, Micheal Ryder, Jose Theodore, Mathieu Garon and have others like Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, Alexander Perezhogin coming along as well.

Given the fact that the Habs haven't drafted in the top 5 (aside from when they drafted Price) since I can remember, maybe that's the reason they haven't developped that 'star' player, however, they've still done pretty well.

I don't know where you got the idea that Habs fans think guys like Chipchura, Maxwell, Carle and Halak are going to be stars?

You're probably doing like alot of people here at HF and taking the opinion of one Habs fan and assuming that we all think that way:shakehead

Get a hold of yourself man

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
oh and there is nothing wrong with just liking price, but he has been called a franchise goalie allready. i'm not saying that he cant be one, but he is only 19. give him a feaw years let him develop and we will see in a feaw years what he will turn out to be.

Hasn't brule been called a franchise center, isn't he only 18-19?

So let me get your theory straight...it's ok to lable other players as franchise players, as long as they're not property of the Habs:dunno:

Is it so ridiculous to assume that a guy drafted 5th overall has the potential to be a franchise goalie? Hell, if you pick him that high, isn't that what you're hoping for?:dunno:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island

Oh yes, I'm sorry all our prospects didn't make the NHL straight out of high school, they're definitely overrated. :sarcasm:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i know he has the potential of becoming a franchise goalie, but to be called a franchise goalie allready is wrong. same thing goes for brule. for the habs prospects i mentioned i have heard that all of them is going to be stars in different places. and kostitsyn. all habs fans are apperantly very high on him. i dont see why. he hasn't proven anything yet exept a mediocre season in the AHL. i believe that most habs fans had higher expectations for komisarek higgins ribeiro plecanek perezhogin markov and every one else you have drafted. you seem to think just a little to much of your prospects. give them a feaw years and see how they turn out before calling them franchise guys. i know you haven't done that but there are a lot of others that have. calling chipchura a first line potential guy is just crasy.:biglaugh:
and i dont think i'm a prospect god i just have my own opininon.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i'm not saying your prospects won't be any good. just dont label them stars before even setting their foot on nhl ice. there is still a long way to go to make it to the nhl after you get drafted. and even longer to become a star. right now the only star player you have is koivu. i dont understand why habs fans are so touchy when it comes to your prospects. if someone told me that jakub kindl will never make it to the nhl i would say maybe or maybe not. we have to wait and see. i dont go around and call him a future franchise defenceman. and you guys won't admit kostitsyn hasn't been the player you hoped and believed he would yet.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Nobody on the Habs board is saying that Price IS a franchise goaltender...many of us are saying that he might become a franchise goaltender, or he is a franchise goaltender in the making. That's all base on his skills...that being said, there's still chances that he will never reach his full potential or he might even bust.

Almost every single prospects aren't sure things...I agree that many Habs fan overate their prospects, but many poster on HF underate them...

And to say that Kostitsyn as a mediocre season is the AHL is just plain stupid...I will not start all over again with his case but damn, the guy has some crazy potential and you just CAN'T deny it. He might never reach his full potential, and at this point, he's more of a question mark than ever, but when he was playing in Montreal, we saw that he will most likely become a good player in the NHL.

And BTW, who was saying that Chichura will ever be a first line player? We are all saying that he will most likely be a great 3rd line player, and if he's improving enough, a decent second line player with captain potential...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Nobody on the Habs board is saying that Price IS a franchise goaltender...many of us are saying that he might become a franchise goaltender, or he is a franchise goaltender in the making. That's all base on his skills...that being said, there's still chances that he will never reach his full potential or he might even bust.

Almost every single prospects aren't sure things...I agree that many Habs fan overate their prospects, but many poster on HF underate them...

And to say that Kostitsyn as a mediocre season is the AHL is just plain stupid...I will not start all over again with his case but damn, the guy has some crazy potential and you just CAN'T deny it. He might never reach his full potential, and at this point, he's more of a question mark than ever, but when he was playing in Montreal, we saw that he will most likely become a good player in the NHL.

And BTW, who was saying that Chichura will ever be a first line player? We are all saying that he will most likely be a great 3rd line player, and if he's improving enough, a decent second line player with captain potential...
Man we hear it every day from Habs fans who love to hear people talk about their prospects. Stick to the thread instead of giving detailed reports why your players will make it and what sort of talents they have.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i know he has the potential of becoming a franchise goalie, but to be called a franchise goalie allready is wrong. same thing goes for brule. for the habs prospects i mentioned i have heard that all of them is going to be stars in different places. and kostitsyn. all habs fans are apperantly very high on him. i dont see why. he hasn't proven anything yet exept a mediocre season in the AHL. i believe that most habs fans had higher expectations for komisarek higgins ribeiro plecanek perezhogin markov and every one else you have drafted. you seem to think just a little to much of your prospects. give them a feaw years and see how they turn out before calling them franchise guys. i know you haven't done that but there are a lot of others that have. calling chipchura a first line potential guy is just crasy.:biglaugh:
and i dont think i'm a prospect god i just have my own opininon.

So if I get this straight, because a few overzealous Habs fans (i'll agree with you there are quite a few, but then again, there are quite a few habs fans on this forum) calling prospect 'x' a franchise player. You felt the need to come on here and call them out:dunno:

Thanks, I just hope you do the same for everyother team's fanbase, cause I hear that franchise tag being thrown around on alot more prospects than just Habs prospects.

As for the rest of your post...How can you say Habs fans are disapointed in any of Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin and Markov???? That's an odd statement to make considering you're not a habs fan.

Higgins was one of the top rookie goal scorers, Komisarek had a strong second half after the family tragedy, Plekanec was solid all year, Perezhogin was amongst our best players in the playoffs and Markov had an all star caliber season and had a career high in pts:dunno:

So what the hell are you talking about? Find me where a Habs fan has said that Chipchura has 1st line potential?

You're pleading with Habs fans to not rate their prospects as stars before they hit the NHL ice right?....Fair enough. I've got a request of my own.

How about not rating our prospects as busts before they hit the NHL ice as well:dunno:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Surprised Staal went as low as he did. Didnt like Price, Pouiliot, or Ryan at #2 instead of JJ. Minny shouldve traded down and taken one of Bourdon, Lee or Staal. Montreal shouldve traded down and taken Kopitar.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i'm not calling anyone a bust.i'm just saying give them some time. a wile ago some habs fan said chipchura will be a first line guy thats all. and that will never happen. and all of your guys komisarek and the others. i'm just saying you probably had higher expectations off them. but it's not all of you just some.:)

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
BPA at # 13. no way. bergors, rask, bourret and oshie are better IMO. and just bacause you have a different opinion then me. doesn't make your opinion a fact. and zagrapan has not develop that much from last year btw.

At the time Rask was an extreme boom/bust pick and still is to a certain extent. And, as it is looking so far, Atlanta made the better goalie pick with Pavelec.

Alex Bourret is all about risks as well. Picking him means you have to think that: (a) his offense will translate to the NHL and (b) his physical style will both translate to the NHL and not injure him repeatedly.

Oshie was a selection so far off the board that no one saw it coming. He was ranked 111 by ISS and 43 by CSB in the NA skaters category, and drafting a HS product in the 1st round is never a sure thing.

Bergfors is one of those guys that doesn't have a particularly high ceiling outside of Devils thinking circles. He's certainly a hard worker and will get the job done but Zags is much more dynamic offensively and has much better hands IMO.

And I'm not saying that my opinion is fact, but I think that it's ridiculous, nay riCOCKulous that you would suggest Zagrapan more a more of a risk than any others drafted around the position he was drafted in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad