A look at the folks behind the Vegas Golden Knights social media

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Good stuff. Honesty, common sense, totally unpretentious, amusingly self deprecating... just what you need to endear yourself to the market (and to fans everywhere). Vegas thus far is showing up the rest of the league, leading the way with respect to marketing, communications, promotions & advertising/branding and none of it really what I'd consider cutting edge or innovative per se' (in fact they could have done better, "more" however the League did handcuff them somewhat & Foley stuck on that Knights nomme de guerre... which they are clearly having fun with so ok).... but it does speak to just how backassward so many other teams & the NHL itself is in those departments.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lden-knights-sexism-ted-tweets-nhl/766964001/

But they don't always have the best taste, and sometimes are downright offensive, as seen from some sexist tweets.
attachment.php

I give it three months before it wears thin.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nothing wrong with that tweet
I take it you are male and fully respectful of women at all times?

Example: How would it be if a team tweeted out male <insert derrogatorry stereotype> names instead? Redneck? Gang? Male stripper? Horrendous fanboy nicknames? "In humor", but if you are in some of those groups it's not pleasant.

Politically correctness only gets you so far.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I take it you are male and fully respectful of women at all times?

Example: How would it be if a team tweeted out male <insert derrogatorry stereotype> names instead? Redneck? Gang? Male stripper? Horrendous fanboy nicknames? "In humor", but if you are in some of those groups it's not pleasant.

Politically correctness only gets you so far.
I'm a male but I'm just struggling to understand how a joke from a movie offends so many people.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
It's a just a movie reference, dont see the sexism there. [Prepares to be showered with accusations of being a sexist because I'm not OUTRAGED at everything]

Seriously now, I think that's the best way to run a social media page for an entertainment product.

Instead of being ''corporate and boring''; it needs to have personality, be ''edgy'', embrace ''memes'' and be irreverent.

The exemple to follow (and I'm quite sure it seriously influenced many modern corporate Twitter accounts like the Golden Knights Twitter) is the ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' Twitter. Look it up, the actual information and marketing is surrounded by memes, weirdness, irreverent comments, and entertaining wacky jokes. That's how you attract twitter followers!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's a just a movie reference, dont see the sexism there.

Just because you can't "see" it does not mean it's not happening and is a problem.

Have you never been discriminated against? Run up against a glass wall/ceiling? Denied promotion/raise due to gender, dress code, nepotism? Picked last in sports team? Never had siblings who know what to say to get you to react (to get in trouble for those actions)?

So, if your name is Joe (male) and I call you Pippy Longstockings (female) as you have kinky red hair, that's not a good book/movie reference?

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Just because you can't "see" it does not mean it's not happening and is a problem.

Have you never been discriminated against? Run up against a glass wall/ceiling? Denied promotion/raise due to gender, dress code, nepotism? Picked last in sports team? Never had siblings who know what to say to get you to react (to get in trouble for those actions)?

So, if your name is Joe (male) and I call you Pippy Longstockings (female) as you have kinky red hair, that's not a good book/movie reference?

Look, you are absolutely correct.

However, teasing is a different thing then insults and harassement and discrimination. And is benign (in the way it was used there).

The Knights Twitter could have compared the Bruins to.... say little baby Cubs. (Meaning they aren't ''Big Bad Bruins'' and are weaker. And that's fine. That's a joke, that's bravado. It's sports teasing. When people say ''Aaron Judge is the worst player of all time'', after he strikes out a lot, they dont mean it. It's teasing, it's fun.

Of course you'll say, teasing mustn't cross the line into harassement and real insults. And you are right if you say it can easily do so.

But it wasn't the case in my opinion here.

It boils down to this. When you use "you're a woman" as an insult to a man, you're saying that being a woman is worse than being a man. That's sexism.

Where was it said that a woman is straight up worst then a man? The implication of the joke was that a bunch of random women are physically weaker then some of the strongest male athletes on earth (a fact). And that's not the same as saying women are all around worst then men.

I mean, the Twitter could have easily compared the Bruins to a Garage League Hockey team!

Would that have been discrimination against Garage Hockey Players? NO!

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It boils down to this. When you use "you're a woman" as an insult to a man, you're saying that being a woman is worse than being a man. That's sexism.
Genuinely curious.

Does the same apply in regards to sports?

Female athletes are worse than their male counterparts. That's just fact.

I see this as more sports related than life related but I could be wrong.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

This just seems a little over the top in the "being offended" category. I really think these days people are just out looking for reasons to be offended for the sake of attention.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com

Discrimination and sexual harassment are real issues as we have seen with the Fox News and Harvey Weinsteinn scandals but to take a stupid joke made on twitter and to compare it to real abuse or harassment is going a bit overboard. It actually hurts the cause of those who want equality when everything is sexist, it just diminishes what the definition of what sexual discrimination or harassment really is.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

I think the greater issue is people are focusing their energy on something like this tweet. In this situation most people are going to look at the "offended" and say "What a crybaby". It takes away from actual issues that face females such as sexual assault which is also in the public scope at the moment. Choosing your battles is important, as you don't want to discredit causes that really do need attention.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

There is nothing evil about that tweet though. Again, we currently have a film producer accused of sexual harassment and assault and a former doctor for Team USA gymnastics awaiting sentencing for assaulting girls of various ages, using his power and influence to keep it quiet. That's where the attention needs to be. Not one tweet, that wasn't even funny to begin with on a team's social media account. The more time that's spent on this tweet, the less time is spent on Weinstein, Nassir and guys of that ilk, who actually assaulted women/girls.

I'm not going to say women are hurting their cause talking about the Golden Knights tweet but in regards to the actual issue, it's a grain of sand on an entire beach compared to other stories going around right now and I think it'd be better to focus on most of the beach (Weinstein, Nassir, etc.) than staying in one small, isolated area (VGK tweet.)

And that picture is pretty ridiculous because some aren't totally offended by VGK's tweet that we somehow don't have an idea about some of the things women go through whether in the workplace or walking down the street and that we aren't doing anything about it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad