Prospect Info: A look at how the Knights did and some questions for fellow fans out there!

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
Hey, everyone!

looks like GMGM wrapped up a very solid in my honest opinion draft today. I am just wondering what you guys think of the draft class that we brought in the last couple days?

Who are you most excited to see on the ice? Are you going to prospect camps? Do you think there are any picks we took that will end up being complete busts?

Well let me know what you think, and here is our review of the top half of the selections by GMGM right here!

I think that they made some really solid picks and I am looking forward to seeing them out on the ice and at prospect camp next week!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think I am in love with just about every pick they made.

Glass - Turris type fringe 1C but with more potential to put on muscle, could be even better than Turris if he does. Upside is a Scheifele type 70 point all situations C. Very safe pick too as at worst I see a nice 3C if he gets a little more physical / meaner.

Suzuki - I will admit I don't know much about him, but the speed, skills, IQ, and grittiness from the smaller guy is the type of player I love. I do think he most likely doesn't reach his peak potential, but as a 2nd / 3rd line tweener who can play in all situations, you at least got an NHL player imo and the type you win with i.e. 200 foot game, gritty, and a big game player.

Bannstrom - Player I am most excited for. It will take some time, but I see a Jared Spurgeon (maybe better offensively but not as solid defensively) player in him if he rounds out his two way game and grows another inch or two and adds muscle. The offensive skills are already there, just needs to fill into that body and see how he transitions to the NA game.

He definitely was the boom / bust pick pick in the first round, and I'm happy they took that route with at least one of the firsts.

Hague - Huge potential here. Can he have an impact in a year or two like Carlo has? I see very similar players, and I think at worst, he will be a bottom pairing shut down guy. Its rare that a guy that big can skate that well, and also pass / shoot the puck pretty well. Not necessarily a boom bust pick since I think the floor is at least a 6/7 guy, but if he could put together a career like Methot, it would be an awesome, awesome pick.

Family is coming in town at an unfortunate time, but I will do everything in my power to see Glass / Suzuki / Brannstrom (if he comes) in the prospect camp.

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
I feel that it's easy to say they had a great draft but part of that is they had so many picks in the first 2 rounds.
I am super high on Glass. He was the reason I did not want us to trade up at all. I think he is closer to Hischier and Patrick than any of the other forwards in this draft and may pass one or both soon.
The next 2 1sts they swung for the fences which they should with multiple top 60 picks.
Hague and Leschyshyn are a bit safer picks at their spots but I think have decent floors 3C,4/5D.
I like that they went for 2 big boom/bust goalies (aren't they all) later. I honestly didn't know anything about Patera but sound promising and I really like Zhukov.
The trade for Kolesar may turn out to be the big move of this draft for them. A skilled 225-235lb power forward with a mean streak is hard to find. He probably never be as good as prime Lucic but if he could have a few 15g/20a/100pim seasons than it will look like a great trade.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Really like the upside potential of all of our picks (specifically the first 4). I liked your assessment of the players but I don't expect any of them to play in the NHL this season, though I think Glass will be in position to maybe make the roster next season.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I always get behind the picks, since we never really know who's going to pan out. That said, I absolutely loved the Glass pick in round 1, and Hague in round 2.

Hard part now is figuring out which jersey to buy eh?

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Really like the upside potential of all of our picks (specifically the first 4). I liked your assessment of the players but I don't expect any of them to play in the NHL this season, though I think Glass will be in position to maybe make the roster next season.

Cool, thanks for your thoughts. They could all probably use time in the AHL I will give you that, I just would not be surprised if at least glass and maybe suzuki are up at least for a few games to get a look at (the 10 game rule) and if either or both look like they can keep up I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay just because of the expansion team and looking to get some excitement and stuff into the lineup.

You are probably right about them most likely spending a year or 2 in the AHL or minors though. Thank you for your thoughts.

if this was not a new expansion team I would probably say none would stick this year other then possibly glass as I do feel he is one of the most complete players skill wise and the way he makes his decisions and choices so fast gives me some thought he might be able to pull it off and be able to see things coming fast enough to avoid the big hits etc.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
I think I am in love with just about every pick they made.

Glass - Turris type fringe 1C but with more potential to put on muscle, could be even better than Turris if he does. Upside is a Scheifele type 70 point all situations C. Very safe pick too as at worst I see a nice 3C if he gets a little more physical / meaner.

Suzuki - I will admit I don't know much about him, but the speed, skills, IQ, and grittiness from the smaller guy is the type of player I love. I do think he most likely doesn't reach his peak potential, but as a 2nd / 3rd line tweener who can play in all situations, you at least got an NHL player imo and the type you win with i.e. 200 foot game, gritty, and a big game player.

Bannstrom - Player I am most excited for. It will take some time, but I see a Jared Spurgeon (maybe better offensively but not as solid defensively) player in him if he rounds out his two way game and grows another inch or two and adds muscle. The offensive skills are already there, just needs to fill into that body and see how he transitions to the NA game.

He definitely was the boom / bust pick pick in the first round, and I'm happy they took that route with at least one of the firsts.

Hague - Huge potential here. Can he have an impact in a year or two like Carlo has? I see very similar players, and I think at worst, he will be a bottom pairing shut down guy. Its rare that a guy that big can skate that well, and also pass / shoot the puck pretty well. Not necessarily a boom bust pick since I think the floor is at least a 6/7 guy, but if he could put together a career like Methot, it would be an awesome, awesome pick.

Family is coming in town at an unfortunate time, but I will do everything in my power to see Glass / Suzuki / Brannstrom (if he comes) in the prospect camp.

cool, thanks for your thoughts I like your breakdown of the players here as well. If you see a person or 2 in teal polo's with "Puck Planet" logo on it be sure to come over and say hi! That would be me and possibly someone who comes with me to attend the events (will probably have someone come with me to help with camera footage interviews etc. ) would love to say hi and chat some hockey though if you see us and want to come say hi

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Cool, thanks for your thoughts. They could all probably use time in the AHL I will give you that, I just would not be surprised if at least glass and maybe suzuki are up at least for a few games to get a look at (the 10 game rule) and if either or both look like they can keep up I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay just because of the expansion team and looking to get some excitement and stuff into the lineup.

You are probably right about them most likely spending a year or 2 in the AHL or minors though. Thank you for your thoughts.

if this was not a new expansion team I would probably say none would stick this year other then possibly glass as I do feel he is one of the most complete players skill wise and the way he makes his decisions and choices so fast gives me some thought he might be able to pull it off and be able to see things coming fast enough to avoid the big hits etc.

Agreed wouldn't shock me to see Glass this season, I think being optimistic he wins the 3C job in the 18-19 season (good place for a young center to start) then work his way into the top 6.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Agreed wouldn't shock me to see Glass this season, I think being optimistic he wins the 3C job in the 18-19 season (good place for a young center to start) then work his way into the top 6.

that is a good thought. I agree, I think if he does make it this year (still doubtful but if he does it would be best to start him on the 3rd line as i mentioned i believe in the article, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him upped to the top 6 role consistently by the end of the season based on just his development and learning of the nhl speed etc.)

I wouldn't start either him or suzuki on the top 6 from day one though, I would look at him at the 3rd line center for a few games maybe before sending him down just to get a comparison of tape to watch when we get to next season as well and see the development etc.

You seem to know the game well. I like how you think the game and players etc. Definatly goes with how i feel and look at it etc.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Glass I could see getting 9 games since his two way game is already very good, but I don't think Suzuki makes it past the main camp.

The team is weak at center, but stronger on wing. If anyone gets an extended look on the season to start, I would probably say someone like Tuch / Carrier / Pulkinnen over Suzuki.

Of course I'm assuming Suzuki at least starts at wing due to his size, but we do have a ton of fringe guys with more pro experience that will probably get shots over Suzuki.

Tuch / Pulkinnen might get a top 6 tryout, and Carrier probably gets a shot at 4th line wing.

That's a lot of guys vying for spots, and I think it would hurt Suzuki's development if he is rushed. Put him through a pro training camp so he can soak in how the vets prepare, and then send him down.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad