A Look Ahead with the Florida Panthers

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Florida Panthers currently find themselves second in the division and fourth in the Eastern Conference, a year after posting similar results. Yet, General Manager Brock Otten is extremely happy with this year's results. "When we found out that we would be without Nikita Kucherov for the year, we were pretty disappointed," quipped Otten. "Obviously we were committed to trying to be competitive and we did so by trying to be one of the best defensive teams in the league, knowing that without Kuch, the offense wouldn't be as dynamic."

So I'm sure it probably caused a few head scratches when Florida dealt reigning NHL Vezina winner Marc Andre Fleury to Winnipeg at the deadline. In return the Panthers got Winnipeg's first round selection in 2022 and veteran Anton Khudobin to back up Alex Nedeljkovic. Otten was asked about the motivation. "Look, we weren't going to re-sign Fleury. And we felt comfortable with Ned as our starter the rest of the year. Look at the stats, he has been one of the best, if not the best goalie in the HFNHL this year. So I think that his move has to be considered good asset management. I don't believe our team is any worse now, and moving Fleury allowed us to strengthen ourselves down the middle, re-allocating cap space."

The secondary move that Otten references is, of course, the addition of Phillip Danault from New Jersey. He gives the team a terrific trio at center in Kuznetsov, Danault, and Tyler Bozak to close out the year, and he is also signed for next year too.

So what is the goal this year? "To win the HFNHL Stanley Cup, of course," says Otten. "I believe our team competes well with any team in the East, including the first place Sens. And if we don't? Well, we have positioned ourselves well for next year, while also adding more young talent to our organization."

Here is how the Panthers will line-up to close out the year:

Blake Coleman - Evgeny Kuznetsov - Tom Wilson
Jake Guentzel - Tyler Bozak - Jeff Carter
Egor Sharangovich - Philip Danault - Kyle Okposo
Michael Bunting - Trevor Zegras - Carter Rowney

Cale Makar - Ryan Suter
Ryan Ellis - Nick Jensen
K'Andre Miller - Jason Demers

Alex Nedeljkovic
Anton Khudobin

Here is the early projection for Florida's lineup next year:

Jake Guentzel - Evgeny Kutnsetsov - Nikita Kucherov
Michael Bunting - Trevor Zegras - Tom Wilson
Blake Coleman - Philip Danault - Mason Marchment
Egor Sharangovich - Jesper Weatherby - Wade Allison

Cale Makar - Moritz Seider
Ryan Suter/Ryan Ellis - Nick Jensen
K'Andre Miller - Martin Fehervary

Alex Nedeljkovic
Pavel Francouz

Here is the current top prospect list for the Panthers:
1. Nick Robertson
2. Olen Zellweger
3. Lukas Reichel
4. JJ Peterka
5. Jack Rathbone
6. Brock Faber
7. Devon Levi
8. Cayden Primeau
9. Jack McBain
10. Tristen Robins

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
That lineup has a pretty neat depth, Brock! Way to go, and I wish you the best of luck with that lineup!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Nice balance of talent throughout the lines, and lots of up-and-coming youth to help manage the cap. Biggest addition to the 2022-23 lineup, of course, is getting Kuch back (unfortunately for the rest of us!).

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I find this interesting. Are there only 30 gms in this league? I'd like to observe. Good look on the roster

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
My opinion : Senor Otten he's the best gm.......still Hurt by my Makar deal with the sharks Otten....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad