A little love from Alabama

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
My 2 cents on Fall vs Spring -- Spring really is nice here, late April and May are my favorite times of the year. BUT -- if you want to guarantee yourself of seeing a Sens game, then you would have to come in early April, and at that time of year the chances of a winter storm are pretty high. (We almost always get a snowstorm in the first week of April, and people are almost always surprised... despite the fact that it happens every year).

So, if I was you I'd come in early October, just after the start of the regular season. Weather will still be nice, the fall colors will be out, and you'll be able to get tickets.

As for stuff to do, spend as much time in and around the dontown core as possible -- the canal, the Chateau Laurier, the Parliament buildings, the locks ... these are the things that are unique to Ottawa. If you're in to biking, there are lots of great pathways that take you by these things and the views are beautiful.

For museums: the National Gallery is nice for art and it's got this fantastic giant spider statue outside it, but the one reason to make sure to go to it is the great hall right inside the entranceway that provides a spectacular view of the parliament buildings.

If you're at all interested in airplanes then the Aviation Museum is definitely worth doing as they have alot of great WWI and WWII military planes. You can also do helicopter tours of the city from there.

For pizza, most of the places in the link you sent I have tried and they are good ... but there is a newer one that isn't on that list "Roberto's Pizza" on Preston St. I think it's now the best of the wood oven pizza options in the city.

Fantastic info! The aviation museum sounds amazing.

Roberto's... oh man. I'm ready.

Fall is the winner for every reason you mentioned. Hopefully we can find a deal on the flights.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Got to watch the game tonight. Was wearing my new Bayern Munich t-shirt... I think this might be the real deal.

Also, something to think about ... Colin White plays. Sens win.

===
Song 2 is so played. Sens need a new goal tune.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Got to watch a couple of Sens games the past couple of weeks. EK looks much better. Chabot is impressing me.

So between Svechnikov and Zadina - who do you take?

Still hoping to make the trip in the fall - will keep building up Hilton Honors points till then :)

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
I'm still hanging around.

Well looks like the trip may be off for this fall, going to see what happens the next few months to see if we can make it work. Need to keep my eyes on Westjet prices.

But, if the team gets sold, that would be fantastic. Would be nice to see if the new money can bring in a proper front office. Also, I'd get my Karlsson jersey as he would be much more likely to stay.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Too bad that the trip hit a snag. Hopefully you'll be able to make it work and find some good seat sales for plane tickets.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Too bad that the trip hit a snag. Hopefully you'll be able to make it work and find some good seat sales for plane tickets.

Trying to see if the wife will be okay will a shorter trip - land in Toronto - dry or train (?) to Ottawa - see a game, then hustle to Montreal to see the sites (train or drive).

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Trying to see if the wife will be okay will a shorter trip - land in Toronto - dry or train (?) to Ottawa - see a game, then hustle to Montreal to see the sites (train or drive).

If your stay in Toronto overlaps with a Senators game let me know, there's a big group of us expat Ottawans in Toronto who get together at a bar pretty frequently to watch/cheer on the Sens.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I miss the food, but lucky for me, we have some places in Huntsville (Hockey Capital of the South) with New Orleans food. Crazy enough - one of my big misses is snoballs. Not a snocone - this is much finer ice with better flavors. Placed opened up down here last summer, but it was just a food truck. I need them to find a new place soon.

I don't miss the heat, the traffic, the crime.
My SIL and family live in Huntsville. We were down there 2 weeks ago.
Didn't do anything Cajun but of course BBQ and some soul food.

My niece got into hockey a few years back. She goes to about 4 or 5 Preds games a year. Probably less right now since she's at 'Bama. Her parents seem to be picking it up. They've been watching the playoffs even when she's at school now.

Glad to see things are catching on down yonder. (as my late MIL would say)

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
My SIL and family live in Huntsville. We were down there 2 weeks ago.
Didn't do anything Cajun but of course BBQ and some soul food.

My niece got into hockey a few years back. She goes to about 4 or 5 Preds games a year. Probably less right now since she's at 'Bama. Her parents seem to be picking it up. They've been watching the playoffs even when she's at school now.

Glad to see things are catching on down yonder. (as my late MIL would say)

Cajun - not a lot of options in the area, but the BBQ is crazy awesome down here.

I didn't get to a Preds game last year, schedule didn't work out, but hopefully we can go to a couple next year. Very cool about your niece.

They do call us Hockey Town of the South.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Cajun - not a lot of options in the area, but the BBQ is crazy awesome down here.

I didn't get to a Preds game last year, schedule didn't work out, but hopefully we can go to a couple next year. Very cool about your niece.

They do call us Hockey Town of the South.
One little thing I find funny in an excruciating way is; I live 25 miles from the ACC here in TO. My SIL's place is about 100 miles from Bridgestone. Yet I can get door to door down there faster than up i can up here.
Ya, traffic is crazy bad here.

Love the ribs at Dreamland. Though they haven't been as good lately. Favourite true BBQ is probably New Market BBQ. We had Jim n Nick's last trip and it was good.

Having never been to NO, my taste bud won't be as in tune as yours but we've liked Tim's Cajun Kitchen and Po' Boy Factory.

I used to do a bit of food blogging. Here are some takes on places I've visited in NA.

Davwud's Food Court: Alabama

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
One little thing I find funny in an excruciating way is; I live 25 miles from the ACC here in TO. My SIL's place is about 100 miles from Bridgestone. Yet I can get door to door down there faster than up i can up here.
Ya, traffic is crazy bad here.

Love the ribs at Dreamland. Though they haven't been as good lately. Favourite true BBQ is probably New Market BBQ. We had Jim n Nick's last trip and it was good.

Having never been to NO, my taste bud won't be as in tune as yours but we've liked Tim's Cajun Kitchen and Po' Boy Factory.

I used to do a bit of food blogging. Here are some takes on places I've visited in NA.

Davwud's Food Court: Alabama

Loved the blog!!
You captured Chuck and Bob's just perfect. Crazy thing about Chuck - I've been there once. The place was jammed pack and although the food was terrific, I didn't like the crowded scene.
Bob's - that's my all time favorite and I feel as if I'm glowing after eating there.

I live in Athens, so I can be in Nashville in about 85-90 depending on time of day.
Tim's - solid.

Po-Boy very close to home. If you catch the bread when it is fresh, then it is spot on, but smaller.
We have a saying in NOLA - our gas stations make better food than your restaurants. :)

===
I'm thinking of taking the train from YYZ (should play some Rush now) to Ottawa, and then again to Montreal, and then back Toronto to see some sites.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Still here in Bama, and still hoping for the Sens to do well.

Sad day for Ottawa. Was in the car on the way back from Knoxville when the news broke on NHL Radio. I knew it was going to happen, we all knew.

But one thing that stood out from the EK65 presser - he really loves the city of Ottawa. Hopefully he can return and new ownership will step forward soon. Very soon.

So looks like 2020 for my trip. Look forward to meeting y'all.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Just checking in.
Went to grab some post vball grub wearing my Sens "O" t-shirt. Kid behind the counter was all fired up "Ottawa Senators! " Haven't seen one of those in Huntsville. We chatted hockey, was not pleased about the Sharks getting EK65.

Anyway, been listening to a lot of Sens Call Ups podcasts. These guys make me laugh. Anyway, new marketing person Aimee Deziel (?), listened ot some of her comments with the guys and she seems to have a clue.

One thing I noticed the other day - I was checking out the site and this page still has EK65.
Mobile App

Come on now - need to fix that and soon.
==
Trying to get to Nashville for the December 11th game. I have another meeting that night, but may see if I can move it.

--
What is Brian 5 or 6 all about and his merch line?

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Just checking in.
Went to grab some post vball grub wearing my Sens "O" t-shirt. Kid behind the counter was all fired up "Ottawa Senators! " Haven't seen one of those in Huntsville. We chatted hockey, was not pleased about the Sharks getting EK65.

Anyway, been listening to a lot of Sens Call Ups podcasts. These guys make me laugh. Anyway, new marketing person Aimee Deziel (?), listened ot some of her comments with the guys and she seems to have a clue.

One thing I noticed the other day - I was checking out the site and this page still has EK65.
Mobile App

Come on now - need to fix that and soon.
==
Trying to get to Nashville for the December 11th game. I have another meeting that night, but may see if I can move it.

--

Glad to hear you're still reppin Sens in Alabama, I lived in Birmingham for a summer and loved it there.

Outside of Hfboards - it seems like a lot of hardcore fans in the city, whether they agreed or not at the time, have finally accepted the EK trade, myself included. I work the home games at the CTC and it's nice to see locals still excited for sens games despite the laughable offseason we had.

Brian 5 or 6 - an excellent example of a local blogger/entertainment creator who stuck with it long enough to generate a following and make something out of nothing. He has a great attitude and love for everything Sens. He deserves all the recognition he's received.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Just checking in.

He started out as a blogger writing, uh, "surreal" Sens fan fiction and graduated to Twitter vids where one in particular - an epic rant against trading Karlsson at the deadline in February - went viral with fans, media and the players themselves, including EK who started interacting with him via Twitter once in a while. Has a line of hats, shirts, coffee mugs etc. featuring a bizarre interpetation of the Senators logo supposedly created by his alcoholic granny (a frequent character in his blog posts and vids), all proceeds go to charity. Also came up with the Hotsam Batcho nickname for Thomas Chabot which the Sens broadcasters won't stop using now.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
He started out as a blogger writing, uh, "surreal" Sens fan fiction and graduated to Twitter vids where one in particular - an epic rant against trading Karlsson at the deadline in February - went viral with fans, media and the players themselves, including EK who started interacting with him via Twitter once in a while. Has a line of hats, shirts, coffee mugs etc. featuring a bizarre interpetation of the Senators logo supposedly created by his alcoholic granny (a frequent character in his blog posts and vids), all proceeds go to charity. Also came up with the Hotsam Batcho nickname for Thomas Chabot which the Sens broadcasters won't stop using now.
And now he's a sellout

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama

I was wondering why the 72 t-shirts were Hotsam Batcho. Kind of funny.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Glad to hear you're still reppin Sens in Alabama, I lived in Birmingham for a summer and loved it there.

Outside of Hfboards - it seems like a lot of hardcore fans in the city, whether they agreed or not at the time, have finally accepted the EK trade, myself included. I work the home games at the CTC and it's nice to see locals still excited for sens games despite the laughable offseason we had.

Brian 5 or 6 - an excellent example of a local blogger/entertainment creator who stuck with it long enough to generate a following and make something out of nothing. He has a great attitude and love for everything Sens. He deserves all the recognition he's received.

B'ham - its not booming like Huntsville is, but they do have an SPHL team.

Brian 5 or 6 - I just heard about him on Sens Call ups.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama

This is hilarious. Going to have to find some of these tweets.

Love the logo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->