A Larry Brooks Source Outed!

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Great analysis Fission. And parity is not going to come to MLB until they put in some sort of hard cap. The salary situation is just so absurd. It is ridiculous.

Fugu

MLB parity is a farce. Instead of focusing on who is winning, focus on the number of playoff appearance by franchise. Suddenly the HAVE vs. HAVE NOT gap looms rather large. Teams like the White Sox can put it all together for a magical season, but they don't have the consistent staying power of the huge-payroll behemoths like the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc.

FF, not everyone here follows baseball [me], so I have a hard time making the connections between dollars spent and playoff appearances. Furthermore, what is the draft and development cycle like in MLB? Do teams have lean years as they are rebuilding, and then when ownership feels they have a shot, they open the purse strings a bit more? I don't know. I do know Leonsis of the Caps has said that's the model he wants to use-- build up the young talent and then spend money on the parts needed when his youngsters are ready. Finally, aren't there examples in the NHL of teams that spent more than virtually all other teams with very few playoff appearances to show for it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad