A.J Thelen

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
actually, I'd like to get some takes on the kid. Over at wild.com there is a raging battle over whether or not he is a bust because everyone else in his draft class is nhl ready-

steblick, turnbuckle, x-sharkie, anyone?

it would be much appreciated.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
With the Giants of the WHL

actually, I'd like to get some takes on the kid. Over at wild.com there is a raging battle over whether or not he is a bust because everyone else in his draft class is nhl ready-

steblick, turnbuckle, x-sharkie, anyone?

it would be much appreciated.

I'm puzzled as to why he is on the WHL's Vancouver Giants? He was a 2004 first round draft pick, so being 18 in 2004, shouldn't he be playing for Houston of the AHL instead of as an overager in Junior? The other 2004 draft picks from Junior are in the Minors this season.

I know he left college sometime after he was drafted, but I always figured he'd go to the Wild's farm team.

He

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm puzzled as to why he is on the WHL's Vancouver Giants? He was a 2004 first round draft pick, so being 18 in 2004, shouldn't he be playing for Houston of the AHL instead of as an overager in Junior? The other 2004 draft picks from Junior are in the Minors this season.

I know he left college sometime after he was drafted, but I always figured he'd go to the Wild's farm team.

He

I doubt that with all of the questions surrounding him, the Wild wanted to pay him 1st round draft pick money at this point.

MNWild1096

Oct 16, 2006
Thelen could have played in the AHL with houston this year, but he from what ive read he asked to go back to juniors where he could get a lot more playing time. In all honesty it was probably better for him anyway seeing as though he probably wans't going to get nearly as many mins. a game in the AHL. I still have faith in this kid, he's just got a bad wrap i think ever since he was released by Michigan State.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I saw him on TV for the Giants in the Sportsnet games a couple weeks ago and was quite interested to catch a glimpse too, given that I've also heard some of the raging debates, and wondered at the stats I'd seen. Limited viewing, to be sure, but I would have come away from that a bit worried. I certainly didn't see a 1st round-worthy pick there. At best he's #4 on Vancouver's depth chart, which might in itself not be a huge knock, given that they're a strong team and the 3 guys ahead of him could arguably be rated as 1st-round-calibre talents (Blum, Franson, and Mikkelson). Then again, Thelen is the oldest of them all. He looked... "adequate", say... not too much of a presence in any facet, a bit plodding at times, but not terrible or anything. As an overager and a top-15 pick, of course, one wants an awful lot more than that from him.

I guess the bottom line is that I didn't have any of the fears inspired by his detractors and those saying he'd be a bust dispelled by that viewing opportunity. But since it's only a limited viewing, and since defensemen often have a good long time to get things sorted out, I wouldn't completely give up hope or anything. I don't know much about his situation. Playing in the Memorial Cup should give him ample opportunity to break loose at this level, if he's going to. I guess if I didn't already have him signed in my organization, however, I'd have to be weighing the risks and rewards of letting him re-enter and taking the 2nd round pick instead. He might be looking more like that level of prospect than the level he was drafted at. :dunno:
:GWC:

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
he basically lost a year of development after being released from michigan state. he has all the tools, asked to go back to junior as he felt it was best for him. he adjusted to the dub slowly, and made great strides last year. and has adjusted to a more pro style grind. watch for him to play 2 years in the ahl then step into the show

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I've seen him in a couple of Giants games and he has not looked good. Offense is the best part of his game, and even that is not that developed. His defensive awareness is just miles behind the other players on his own team (I would put him behind Festerling, Blum, Franson, and Regner). He's an alright skater but there is absolutely nothing in his game that positively stands out as elite or even excellent. He might turn into a 5-6 defenseman in the NHL, but I honestly don't see any more upside in him than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->