A hockey rule everyone should know

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Um, the post you were replying to was suggesting trading 7th rounders instead of 2nd and 3rd rounders.

The post I was responding to said not to use your seventh- or even sixth-round picks, rather than trading higher picks for drek.

Sweeney didn't make that deal to clear roster space (obviously, as he gained a player in return), he did so in an attempt to improve his team. That it didn't work out that way doesn't mean that was not his intent. Not using your seventh-round pick does nothing to improve your team. The very idea is a head-scratcher.

member 96824

The post I was responding to said not to use your seventh- or even sixth-round picks, rather than trading higher picks for drek.

Sweeney didn't make that deal to clear roster space (obviously, as he gained a player in return), he did so in an attempt to improve his team. That it didn't work out that way doesn't mean that was not his intent. Not using your seventh-round pick does nothing to improve your team. The very idea is a head-scratcher.

I'm not sure if you're in the right thread here...

The whole premise of this conversation is roster space and managing a potential crunch if the Bruins were to end up around 90 on the reserve list.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Can't believe people are still defending Rinaldo. Whatever your views on management's success, Rinaldo was an utter failure that most predicted from the outset.

Anyways... thanks Dom for the post. Very helpful/informative as usual.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Good rule to know. That said let's agree that any pick that can be used to pad a trade or move up a draft spot is a valuable one. We're not going to start letting people waste assets in the name of the 90 contract rule. There's always a better way, and every GM manages to abide by it. A lot of them don't need to waste their picks.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm not sure if you're in the right thread here...

The whole premise of this conversation is roster space and managing a potential crunch if the Bruins were to end up around 90 on the reserve list.

Yes, I know.

Again, I was responding with incredulity at the notion that to conserve roster space, the Bruins should forego drafting in the sixth or seventh rounds.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Yes, I know.

Again, I was responding with incredulity at the notion that to conserve roster space, the Bruins should forego drafting in the sixth or seventh rounds.

But, again, it was just presented as a better alternative to trading picks for Rinaldo/Stempniak/Liles. You and I both agree that those trades weren't about the 90 player limit, but this thread suggests the rule helps justify those trades, when really it doesn't.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
EHM taught me this:)

While true, doesn't really excuse much of anything though IMO. B's will clear spots as the Brandon DeFazio's of the world walk and rights to low upside picks expire.

If the Bruins put themselves in a pickle, they can release the right to unsigned players if they so choose as well. (I'll find the CBA section for this when I get to a computer), that way they are not losing a first round pick so they can hang onto the right to sign Jack Becker.

Definitely something to factor in, but I don't know if it's something to steer your ship by. Either way, thanks for sharing Dom! Always so informative

Edit: Struggling to confirm the release info but will keep searching.

Edit Edit: Confirmed http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1448935&page=10 Example is with the Daniels twins, (Justin and Drew)

My edit your edit: Brad, you know better than this :laugh:

The Daniels were drafted in 2008 and therefore the 2005 CBA applies - no matter, it's not much different.

The Twins were not drafted out of the NCAA but the USHL, however, because they became "bona-fide" college students prior to June 1 2009, the Sharks would retain their rights until August 15 2013 (holding their rights for five years instead of four).

Both Twins attended the Sharks development camps in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

During the spring of the 2011/2012 season, the Twins decided they were going to drop out of school (Northeastern University) to pursue a pro career. Under the 2005 CBA, the sharks had 30 days to sign the Twins or they would become unrestricted free agents.

The Sharks announced that they would not be offering them a contract. That is not "releasing" as they had to wait until the 30 days expired before another team could offer him a contract and they both remained on the Sharks reserve list until that 30 days expired and they became UFA.

It's not quite the same, but Jimmy Vesey is an example. We already know that Vesey is not signing in Nashville. But he continues to be on the Preds reserve list until August the 15th.

*Note to Brad: You've read the CBA, you know it quite well. So instead of asking fans about it, find for me in the CBA where it says unsigned drafted players can be released. I'm not sure that you can, but I'm not going to do the leg work for you ;):D.

In closing Bradly, a team saying they "are not going to offer a contract" is not releasing a player.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
But, again, it was just presented as a better alternative to trading picks for Rinaldo/Stempniak/Liles. You and I both agree that those trades weren't about the 90 player limit, but this thread suggests the rule helps justify those trades, when really it doesn't.

I apologies if this came across to you as "justifying" those trades. That was not the intention.

The intention of it was that teams can not always use all of their picks. They have to judge the quality of the draft, the players in their system and whether letting a player walk now instead of two years down the road, or moving a draft pick now instead of two years down the road is the way to go.

My Koko example is a clear indication that this was not about those trades and that decisions need to be based upon the rule

member 96824

My edit your edit: Brad, you know better than this :laugh:

The Daniels were drafted in 2008 and therefore the 2005 CBA applies - no matter, it's not much different.

The Twins were not drafted out of the NCAA but the USHL, however, because they became "bona-fide" college students prior to June 1 2009, the Sharks would retain their rights until August 15 2013 (holding their rights for five years instead of four).

Both Twins attended the Sharks development camps in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

During the spring of the 2011/2012 season, the Twins decided they were going to drop out of school (Northeastern University) to pursue a pro career. Under the 2005 CBA, the sharks had 30 days to sign the Twins or they would become unrestricted free agents.

The Sharks announced that they would not be offering them a contract. That is not "releasing" as they had to wait until the 30 days expired before another team could offer him a contract and they both remained on the Sharks reserve list until that 30 days expired and they became UFA.

It's not quite the same, but Jimmy Vesey is an example. We already know that Vesey is not signing in Nashville. But he continues to be on the Preds reserve list until August the 15th.

*Note to Brad: You've read the CBA, you know it quite well. So instead of asking fans about it, find for me in the CBA where it says unsigned drafted players can be released. I'm not sure that you can, but I'm not going to do the leg work for you ;):D.

In closing Bradly, a team saying they "are not going to offer a contract" is not releasing a player.

DAMNIT DOM, I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME.

I'm thinking I am probably wrong, not sure where I picked this up cause skimming through the CBA at work last night I could not find it. Maybe it was from the old CBA and taken out or maybe I've just lost my mind completely.:laugh:

EHM is... soooo... goddamn addicting. I have a problem.

Same. It's bad. The newish release is like crack for hockey junkies

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
The problem was not that they traded away picks. It's what they got in return...

They could have used all these picks (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) they traded for Rinaldo-Liles-Stempniak to move up or make some trades this off-season. Or to move up at the draft.

All these picks where wasted. 90 players rule or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad