A GOOD show on ESPN about the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye8

Aug 2, 2002
San Pablo, CA
champben2002 said:
I define sport as having to be a zero-sum game. There is one winner and one looser, no 2nd, 3rds, etc in each event. Otherwise its just a competition.

So Cross Country isn't a sport? Marathon races aren't a sport? Look at how many events in the Olympics have several people competing against each other. They have a winner and people finishing behind, so you have a 2nd, 3rd, etc.

From the dictionary:

Sport: (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

Athlete: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Driving at those speed and controlling the car takes strength and stamina. Drivers work out and train.

Hawkeye8

Aug 2, 2002
San Pablo, CA
rocky hockey said:
I have to say i live in phoenix 100* degrees does not scare me 125* maybe but 100* degrees, we've seen that on Thanksgiving. And i've driven many times over 100 mph in 110* with my alternator light on and and my temperature gauge in the red, I pulled off into the AAMCO station and the pit boss threw some water in my radiator and rotated my tires all before the temperture dropped a single degree. did that make him an athlete or was he just doing his job? and am i an athlete because i can drive real fast ( maybe so, because i have to make 3 right hand turns on my home )

I was going easy with the temperature. They have measured the temperatures in the cars around 120 or so. They have no air conditioning; all they have is what blows into the car and the hose that leads to the helmets. Drives have to wear a special shoe to protect their feet from how hot the pedals get, it'll burn their feet and it has. During pit stops they've had to put ice behind the driver to try and help. Drivers have had to drive with out power steering that will tire you out. They do also have some road races and they have to concentrate and shirt, no automatics for them. You miss a shift and could be in trouble. Have you ever watched a race and seen some of these guys fighting the steering while having it jerk left and right in a turn? Remember during this entire time they are in a competitive race. A race is usually around 500 miles. I've seen some amazing things out of some of these drivers. Racing is also risky, as safe as these cars are people still die.

You may not enjoy it, so what. That doesn't mean we need to bash it. People bash hockey all the time but it doesn't change what it is.

I’ve grown up watching this sport and for a long time I didn’t consider them athletes but then after really thinking about it and seeing what they have to go threw during a race, some of the conditions at the races. I changed my mind. Driving around the streets like us is nothing; you can’t even touch what they feel.

Transported Upstater

Spydey629 said:
Umm... Driving a car is not a sport. Period.

Non
Athletic
'Sport'
Centered
Around
Rednecks

I hate NASCAR. I don't believe it's a sport.

But that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Ruhollah Khomeini said:
It takes a lot of people to put all those stickers on, you know.

Laugh it up all you want chuckles, but the NHL could learn a lot from NASCAR. Who cares if people think it is a sport, it draws in a lot more money and viewers than the NHL.

Transported Upstater

medmed said:
is it me or the words "good", "hockey", "show, and "ESPN" don't match? :D

It's not you. If you were American you'd hate that network even more.

Diamond Dan 5150

Feb 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Wait you mean to tell me that ESPN spent time on hockey, just like they did before the lockout. You mean all those people who love the OLN deal b/c it shunned ESPN, might actually have been wrong??????

Thats unpossible :biglaugh:

Avant-Gardien

May 6, 2005
Cambridge, MA
MR. X said:
Who cares if people think it is a sport, it draws in a lot more money and viewers than the NHL.

Clearly. This is why the NHL should begin emulating professional wrestling, as well. Perhaps allow enforcers to bring chairs along and have the rink announcer yell "SUPER SLAM!" after a hit. After all, if it's popular, it's good.

Anyhow, if NASCAR is a team sport, then a hockey team's equipment manager is, for all intents and purposes, a hockey player. After all, the players couldn't play hockey without a fresh supply of sticks.

Maybe the NHL should also institute a rule stating that hockey players can only turn left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad