A Crosby "what if?"......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
BMWM3owner said:
Dont lump the rest of the 99.9% of capitals' fans in with your opinion b/c I dont see to many of us running at the mouth like you do

We would be lucky to see 2 or 3 of our prospects become impact players

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1137

2005 Opening Day Roster (with ages as of October 1st, 2000)

Matt Pettinger (19) ? Kris Beech (19) ? Michal Sivek (19)

Richard Zednik (24) ? Jan Bulis (22) ? Charlie Stephens (19)

Steve Konowalchuk (27) ? Jeff Halpern (24) ? Chris Corrinet (21)

Roman Tvrdon (19) ? Brian Sutherby (18) ? Stephen Peat (20)

Sergei Gonchar (26) ? Alexei Tezikov (22)
Rastislav Stana (20)

Ross Lupaschuk (19) ? Brendan Witt (25)
Sebastien Charpentier (23)

J.F. Fortin (21) ? Jakub Cutta (18)

How many of those players are still with washington? Thats the perfect example of how that even though we have alot of promising talent, most of those players wont be a part of the capitals future...so to think we'll be tops in the league just by drafting is a joke

:handclap:

Nice to see a down to Earth Caps fan here.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
BMWM3owner said:
Dont lump the rest of the 99.9% of capitals' fans in with your opinion b/c I dont see to many of us running at the mouth like you do

Matt Pettinger (19) – Kris Beech (19) – Michal Sivek (19)

Richard Zednik (24) – Jan Bulis (22) – Charlie Stephens (19)

Steve Konowalchuk (27) – Jeff Halpern (24) – Chris Corrinet (21)

Roman Tvrdon (19) – Brian Sutherby (18) – Stephen Peat (20)

Sergei Gonchar (26) – Alexei Tezikov (22)
Rastislav Stana (20)

Ross Lupaschuk (19) – Brendan Witt (25)

J.F. Fortin (21) – Jakub Cutta (18)

How many of those players are still with washington? Thats the perfect example of how that even though we have alot of promising talent, most of those players wont be a part of the capitals future...so to think we'll be tops in the league just by drafting is a joke

Well said!!! From the rest of us realistic hockey fans...WE THANK YOU!!!

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
BMWM3owner said:

Matt Pettinger (19) – Kris Beech (19) – Michal Sivek (19)

Richard Zednik (24) – Jan Bulis (22) – Charlie Stephens (19)

Steve Konowalchuk (27) – Jeff Halpern (24) – Chris Corrinet (21)

Roman Tvrdon (19) – Brian Sutherby (18) – Stephen Peat (20)

Sergei Gonchar (26) – Alexei Tezikov (22)
Rastislav Stana (20)

Ross Lupaschuk (19) – Brendan Witt (25)

J.F. Fortin (21) – Jakub Cutta (18)

Just to let people know, other Caps fans feel the same way.....though I think the talent level is quite a bit higher now than it was back then (AO is a VAST improvement over Beech/Sivek and Ouellet is better than Stana/Charpy...etc, etc), but the point is very valid....though the top 20 prospects in the Caps org. look damn good for a top 20 we should all be doin backflips if 40% of them come close to reaching their full potential.

capman29

Til the End of Time said:
Not saying this jokingly at all, but how old are you?

Old enough to know better young enough not to care . My question why do you care ?

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
I say they assign each team a number 1 through 30. Then pick from a lottery thingy and that is the order. That means that potentially Det, or Tampa might get it, byt that would be the ultimately pure way to do it. No team should get a shot at Malkin and Crosby or Ovechiken and crosby. However :) i do think that a Kovy, Heater, Crosby trio would be quite fair. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
EJG123 said:
:dunno: This may be a little off-base (as I have no stats to back it up), but it is my perception that scoring in the league in the pre-Gretzky era was not all that much higher than it is today and that it was the emergence of the Great One that actually changed the game. That being said...it is not impossible to think that the emergence of a player like Gretzky (...and it could be Crosby according to Wayne), combined with the league's attempts to increase scoring could swing the pendulum back. I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it but it is not an impossible thought that someone may come close to some of those records. Just a thought. :dunno:

O.K. you have peaked my curiousity, which records could be broken...?

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
CoupeStanley said:
I though Gretzky records were untouchable until I saw a 37 old, 3 years retired, with cancer scored 2ppg in the worst of the trap era.

Since then, I would say that a phenom may touch it someday.

Is it Crosby ? Hum.. Maybe

Is it Futurcrovshky ? Time will tell.

That is Mario Lemieux you are talking about! Not just anyone, who battled thru those barriers to prove how good he was. He has a number of revords himself, and had he stayed healthy would have broken many of Gretz's records. But now we will never know.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
Puckhead said:
O.K. you have peaked my curiousity, which records could be broken...?
I didn't say it....I saw an interview that Wayne Gretzky did.....he said that. If I had to guess I'd say that his goal scoring records are the only ones.....points totals will be a lot more difficult.

capman29

EJG123 said:
I didn't say it....I saw an interview that Wayne Gretzky did.....he said that. If I had to guess I'd say that his goal scoring records are the only ones.....points totals will be a lot more difficult.

Wayne's record for goals scored will not ever be broken since a player would have to average 50 goals a year for at lest 18 years.His total ponts will also never be broken because they would have to average over 120 + points a year for 20 years .

Wayne is the greast player this game has or wil ever see ( special players loke that come only rarely ) .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It would seem that some fans want a free for all 2005 Entry Draft lottery (this would imply NOT JUST FOR CROSBY ,but a whole re-jigging of the draft(all spots and rounds) via a new lotto with every team jockeyng for position (in other words =ignore the 2003/04 finishes) IF the entuire 2004/05 season is locked out.

Logically this has problems:

Supposedly a 30 team lotto to determine position would be "fair" --but in fact it penalizes the worst finishing teams of the last season played --how ridiculous if by luck TB gets the #1 --or say 5 of the 6 best teams of last season all ended up with top 8-10 picks,while 5 or 6 of the worst teams of last season all ended up picking from 20 or 22 up in the round...it is unfair to the suffering fans of those poorer talented teams.....but even worse--a lot of draft deals (traded picks) of the past year (or some even 2 years ago) were made predicated on a reasonable assumption of where those received extra picks might be slotted....therefore the lotto luck spread over 30 teams puts some of these slots inworse positions (albeit other extra picks would go to better positions) --but the point is it might really DEVALUE someof the trades made for extra picks if bad luck hit some teams...to limit the lotto ONLY to the Crosby pick then revert back to the finishes of 2003/04 for the rest of the slots would solve the unfairness involving the second isuue of picks received via trades--however I see no logical reason of "fairness" in favour of Crosby's pick vs. "fairness" to run the draft strictly by luck of the draw for all slots and rounds...therefore the "fairness" argument should have a consistent universal basis vs. only a "special" (Crosby) rationale.......either you create lots of "unfairness" in pracitical terms by going 100% with luck while rationalizing that is the "fairest" way to distribute all picks since no games were played in 2004/05
(philosophically it may seem "fair",but practiaclly it creates too much "unfairness")
OR you revert back to the 2004/05 finishes and therefore determine the lotto positions of the worst 14--giving rise to the same bottom 5 only getting a shot at drafting Crosby if they win it (this provides the best practical solution,though philosophically it might seem "unfair" as no games were played in the draft year
to determine positions as normally would happen).

What I really am saying is that as a Hawks fan I would be devasted more by getting shoved back to say 30th than merely to lose Crosby among the same group
as last year that had the chance for Ovechkin (I really don't expect us to be lucky enough to get Crosby anyway--but I do still want the chance for the #2 or#3 overall ==because we STUNK SO BADLY last year we "deserve" some reward--we certainly do not deserve to be shoved back to the final slots in each round due to severe bad luck in a free for all 30 lotto). Suppose Nashville also got shoved back to 20th or 30th --that would DEVALUE that 2nd rounder we got for 2005 in the Sullivan deal ........What a disaster this would be if bad luck in a 30 lotto moved both us and NASH back to ends of each round...while TB or DET or PHI get shoved upto the front by "good luck" --no thank you! If they do not revert back to the 2003/04 finish es in the event of no season--the $Bill Wirtz should just pull the Hawks out of the NHL ......If it comes down to some owners like the Pizza King in DET clamouring for his "fair" chance at Crosby while stomping the Hawks into the dust with double whammies from '"bad luck" (remember we got whammied last draft by losing in Ovechkin+Malkin sweepstakes) --I say who is running the League? You
want "fairness" ? Well I can live with WASH or PIT or CBJ or PHX getting him with the luck of the lotto --but get me the barf bag if somehow a "contender/elite" team
ends up with him while also shoving us down to the late picks of each of the rounds---especially not the team in "hockeytown USA" --if he ended up in DET,i might as well just give up watching hockey.......30 team lotto/ FORGET ABOUT IT!

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
capman29 said:
Wayne's record for goals scored will not ever be broken since a player would have to average 50 goals a year for at lest 18 years.His total ponts will also never be broken because they would have to average over 120 + points a year for 20 years .

I don't think what you've said proves that the record will not ever be broken, or even supports such a claim. All you've done is highlight the difficulty of it.

Unless you can prove to me that it is absolutely impossible for a player with wayne's skill to come along again, his records, no matter how difficult, can be broken. 30 years ago, I'm sure people would have said that what Wayne accomplished was impossible.

It is entirely possible for the game to open up, and for another phenom to come along, and after a long, consistent and illustrius carreer, smash all of the records.

Not a certainty, not even likely maybe, but it is possible.

I like the point above, that Wayne's play forced the game open, hence if another phenom came along, he may also revolutionize the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->