A Crosby "what if?"......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Suppose the 2005 Draft does go as scheduled because a new CBA gets done--but only after the entire 2004/05 season is locked out or it is too late by next Feb or March to play even a partial season...this should mean that the same 5 (PIT,CHI,WASH CBJ and PHX get a lotto shot at getting him....Now let us suppose
PIT once again misses out at #1 as one of the other 4 win it.......IF you are PIT
would you make an offer to the winning GM of MALKIN +the PIT 2005 pick (#2 overall) for Crosby? IF you are the GM on the recieving end of this offer do you take it and pass on Crosby,given that any of the next 4 in the draft are going to be very good picks?

For example --would MALKIN + BRULE or MALKIN +ANIKEENKO or MALKIN + anyone else you might want at #2 be worth giving up on the "NEXTKY"?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
hawksfan50 said:
Suppose the 2005 Draft does go as scheduled because a new CBA gets done--but only after the entire 2004/05 season is locked out or it is too late by next Feb or March to play even a partial season...this should mean that the same 5 (PIT,CHI,WASH CBJ and PHX get a lotto shot at getting him....Now let us suppose
PIT once again misses out at #1 as one of the other 4 win it.......IF you are PIT
would you make an offer to the winning GM of MALKIN +the PIT 2005 pick (#2 overall) for Crosby? IF you are the GM on the recieving end of this offer do you take it and pass on Crosby,given that any of the next 4 in the draft are going to be very good picks?

For example --would MALKIN + BRULE or ALKIN +ANIKEENKO or MALKIN + anyone else you might want at #2 be worth giving up on the "NEXTKY"?

Only if the GM wants a new job, out of hockey altogether. Unless it's a Lindros type deal it is career suicide.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Yeah I would not make this trade unless for example it was Washington had first again.

To PIT (assuming we have 2nd in 05')
Steve Eminger
Boyd Gordon
Maxime Oulette
2nd Overall pick 05' (Gilbert Brule for argument sake)

TO WSH:
Sidney Crosby
Rico Fata

If I were Washington I'd do that trade for sure... even though he could be the best player of all time... then you might be out of a job haha :joker:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
hawksfan50 said:

For example --would MALKIN + BRULE or MALKIN +ANIKEENKO or MALKIN + anyone else you might want at #2 be worth giving up on the "NEXTKY"?

as big of a Crosby fan as I am, I would not do that trade. Though I think Crosby has the talent to be the marquee talent in the NHL like Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Howe, were I still would not fool with depth. If you give up a Brule or Malkin trio you are giving up two potential superstars for one special player, but even so it is worth having two superstars such as Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg on your team, having Crosby is one thing and he can make players so mcuh better around him...ala Dany Roussin but to have depth such as Malkin and Brule well I just wouldn't do that no matter how special a player was.

But don't get me wrong Crosby IMO is the best prospect I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some good ones come up such as Nash, Zherdev, Kariya, Lecavalier, Richards, Lindros, Daigle, Ovechkin, Ruutu, Forsberg...etc etc, and I would have to say Crosby has been the best of them yet.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
moosefan said:
as big of a Crosby fan as I am, I would not do that trade. Though I think Crosby has the talent to be the marquee talent in the NHL like Gretzky, Mario, Orr, Howe, were I still would not fool with depth. If you give up a Brule or Malkin trio you are giving up two potential superstars for one special player, but even so it is worth having two superstars such as Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg on your team, having Crosby is one thing and he can make players so mcuh better around him...ala Dany Roussin but to have depth such as Malkin and Brule well I just wouldn't do that no matter how special a player was.

But don't get me wrong Crosby IMO is the best prospect I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some good ones come up such as Nash, Zherdev, Kariya, Lecavalier, Richards, Lindros, Daigle, Ovechkin, Ruutu, Forsberg...etc etc, and I would have to say Crosby has been the best of them yet.

I completely agree, I am a pens fan and I would love to have Malkin and Brule, if that situation arises.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ktownhockey said:
Yeah I would not make this trade unless for example it was Washington had first again.

Steve Eminger
Boyd Gordon
Maxime Oulette

TO WSH:
Sidney Crosby
Rico Fata

If I were Washington I'd do that trade for sure... even though he could be the best player of all time... then you might be out of a job haha :joker:

Thats an ok Package. But they would want MORE than Corsby is worth if any team will be dealing him.

X0ssbar

Being a CBJ fan, if the season were cancelled I sure as hell wouldn't be upset if the lottery order stayed the same but from an overall league perspective, I just don't see how that scenario is fair.

Hopefully we'll see some kind of season and the Crosby sweepstakes will shake itself out.

capman29

ktownhockey said:

Steve Eminger
Boyd Gordon
Maxime Oulette

TO WSH:
Sidney Crosby
Rico Fata

Thats why I am glad you are not the person doing the trades for the caps . Ovechkin is a beter player than crosby with agreater upside and this board wanted washington to trade him for junk . How times have changed . Would not trade maxme for that offer . Try again and this time come up with something better for the washington side of the deal .

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
ktownhockey said:

Steve Eminger
Boyd Gordon
Maxime Oulette

TO WSH:
Sidney Crosby
Rico Fata

Why would PIT want to trade for Oullet when they have Fleury? Matter of fact why would WAS want to trade their future #1 goaltender?

Our blueline is a joke and you expect the Caps to deal a dmen thats shown he's capable of playing the NHL and has a good chance at becoming a top 3 guy?...the Caps wont deal him unless they get a defensemen in return, it doesnt make sense any other way for WAS

I think McPhee would be happy taking Brule at 2nd overall if PIT would want a package like that...your trade idea creates more holes in the Caps future then it plugs

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
capman29 said:
Thats why I am glad you are not the person doing the trades for the caps . Ovechkin is a beter player than crosby with agreater upside and this board wanted washington to trade him for junk . How times have changed . Would not trade maxme for that offer . Try again and this time come up with something better for the washington side of the deal .

I recall you were the one that laughed at a Pronger for Ovechkin deal, calling Pronger "junk," and you were ripped to shreds then.

And now you say that Ovechkin has a greater upside than Crosby? Please don't be a blatant homer.

And you wouldn't trade maxme ( I am guessing you mean Oulette) for Crosby and Fata? How ridiculous is that?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
capman29 said:

hard to take someone serious isn't it when you say you wouldn't even trade Maxime Ouellett for Sidney Crosby, that just shows me and others that you don't know what you are really talking about. Trust me after seeing both Ovechkin and Crosby play live, Crosby has alot for upside than Ovechkin and IMO is a better player now and I don't care what anyone says because MOST people go by what they hear and watch on TV but when you see both live and you can make a comparisson you would know.

So for you to really call Crosby garbage shows me just how intelegent you are with hockey prospects. :teach:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
hawksfan50 said:

These scenarios are fun to play around with, but there is no chance in Hell-sinki that a team would trade away the chance to get Crosby. It would have to such a one sided deal ( a la LIndros ), and we know how that turned out...

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
ktownhockey said:

Steve Eminger
Boyd Gordon
Maxime Oulette

TO WSH:
Sidney Crosby
Rico Fata

Whether or not you would do this trade is not really a problem for me, but to say that Crosby could be the best player of all time, when he just finished his first season in Junior is more than a stretch...it's lunacy. I know even Gretzky said that he feels Crosby has a shot at his records, but take a look at his records and read what he was able to do. NOBODY will EVER come close to those feats. We barely get guys scoring 40 goals a year, let alone 92. We barely have guys getting 100 points, let alone 215. No 50 goal scorers last year, let alone 50 in 39 games. And the list goes on and on. It is simply ridiculous to think that Crosby or anyone else will even come close. With the clutching and grabbing, huge bodies all over the ice, two referees, the instigator penalty, and fantastic goaltenders with even better equipment, the game is bogged down and unless there are radical changes, which do not appear forthcoming, or a very skilled player can play for oh.....30 years at the height of his career, it is impossible. I apologize if I got a little carried away but I feel I made my point. Lemieux had a good shot and if healthy probably could have, but alas, it never came to pass.

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Puckhead said:
Whether or not you would do this trade is not really a problem for me, but to say that Crosby could be the best player of all time, when he just finished his first season in Junior is more than a stretch...it's lunacy. I know even Gretzky said that he feels Crosby has a shot at his records, but take a look at his records and read what he was able to do. NOBODY will EVER come close to those feats. We barely get guys scoring 40 goals a year, let alone 92. We barely have guys getting 100 points, let alone 215. No 50 goal scorers last year, let alone 50 in 39 games. And the list goes on and on. It is simply ridiculous to think that Crosby or anyone else will even come close. With the clutching and grabbing, huge bodies all over the ice, two referees, the instigator penalty, and fantastic goaltenders with even better equipment, the game is bogged down and unless there are radical changes, which do not appear forthcoming, or a very skilled player can play for oh.....30 years at the height of his career, it is impossible. I apologize if I got a little carried away but I feel I made my point. Lemieux had a good shot and if healthy probably could have, but alas, it never came to pass.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Finally somebody that knows what their talking about!

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Puckhead said:

I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but just to play devil's advocate, to say that no one will ever come to matching Gretzky's, Mario's or Orr's type of numbers is not set in stone...the game is always evolving and it might not happen till "X" number of years down the road, but there will probably be a hockey player just as dominate...I'm not saying you're wrong in what you said, I just think you cannot completely rule out a player coming along that will be better then anything we've seen

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
BMWM3owner said:
I agree with the vast majority of what you said, but just to play devil's advocate, to say that no one will ever come to matching Gretzky's, Mario's or Orr's type of numbers is not set in stone...the game is always evolving and it might not happen till "X" number of years down the road, but there will probably be a hockey player just as dominate...I'm not saying you're wrong in what you said, I just think you cannot completely rule out a player coming along that will be better then anything we've seen

That is a fair comment, but by the same token you would have to admit that not only was Gretzky a very special player, but he came in at a time that had no way to defend against his arsenal of passing, scoring, on ice vision, and absolute dominance. He was simply way ahead of the rest of the league. I guess it is fair to say that should the league undergo a massive overhaul of the way it is played, I would have to concede the possibility. However, I am in my late 20's and I have no doubt that I will not see it in my lifetime. The game is slow, despite being fast in nature, the skill level is so watered down that the skilled players have no room to showcase their talents, and we are living in a time where winning would be nice, but not at the risk of my wallet. The pride the game was once played in no longer exists for the most part. When the thought of getting rid of some teams to have less players in the league, which would increase the skill level comes up, the NHLPA says no way, we have to stand up for members, and yet the stick incidents and hits from behind keep rising year after year. Somethings got to give...for the sake of the game.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
:dunno: This may be a little off-base (as I have no stats to back it up), but it is my perception that scoring in the league in the pre-Gretzky era was not all that much higher than it is today and that it was the emergence of the Great One that actually changed the game. That being said...it is not impossible to think that the emergence of a player like Gretzky (...and it could be Crosby according to Wayne), combined with the league's attempts to increase scoring could swing the pendulum back. I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it but it is not an impossible thought that someone may come close to some of those records. Just a thought. :dunno:

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
I though Gretzky records were untouchable until I saw a 37 old, 3 years retired, with cancer scored 2ppg in the worst of the trap era.

Since then, I would say that a phenom may touch it someday.

Is it Crosby ? Hum.. Maybe

Is it Futurcrovshky ? Time will tell.

capman29

moosefan said:
hard to take someone serious isn't it when you say you wouldn't even trade Maxime Ouellett for Sidney Crosby, that just shows me and others that you don't know what you are really talking about. Trust me after seeing both Ovechkin and Crosby play live, Crosby has alot for upside than Ovechkin and IMO is a better player now and I don't care what anyone says because MOST people go by what they hear and watch on TV but when you see both live and you can make a comparisson you would know.

So for you to really call Crosby garbage shows me just how intelegent you are with hockey prospects. :teach:

You people have very short memories. Ovechkin was not worth Spezza So how could Crosby be worth all that. Number one we do not need fatta and to give up those players for crosby would not be in washington interests what so ever . What sticks in your craws is that washington got the best player in the draft in Ovechkin and you all just cannot stand it because he will be the games biggest star in the future and is playing there not your team . Further you smog a** people show you know knowing about hockey with every post you make in evauluating talent or propossing trades. You cannot admit that now the caps are going to be one of the two or three best teams over the next 10-15 years with all their young talent . But when it happens we caps fans will laught at your poor team and bash you players . So have fun for now because our time is coming and I for one will take great glee it giving this all back to you .

Also it will really piss you off if we get that #1 pick and choose Crosby . Then we will hear that he it not as good as promised and you wll trash talk him.

You people are so easy to read and that is why the joke is on you because smallmnded people are to be pittied and i pitty you all .

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Crosby does not need to exceed or even challenge Gretzky's records to be an all-time great. Since we know that scoring is down, shouldn't it be an amazing achievement for someone to score say 50 goals, and 130 points in a season now? I am not saying that Crosby will do this. I don't even know if he can, but it sounds like it's possible. Situations and standards change. 55 or 60 goals in 2004-05 would be equivalent to how many in the 1984-85? 75 or 80? Gretzky himself only bettered 70 goals 4 times. There is no reason why Crosby (or Ovechkin, or someone else, for that matter) could not be nearly as dominant in a different era. Not greater than Gretz, Lemieux, Orr, etc., but someone who could be mentioned in the same breath.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
If the Penguins come out of this with Brule I'll be very happy.

So would I. If this was the case, I'd rather see the Pens keep #2 overall and take Brule, than sell the farm to get Crosby. I prefer Brule/Malkin up front to Crosby alone.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
capman29 said:
You people have very short memories. Ovechkin was not worth Spezza So how could Crosby be worth all that. Number one we do not need fatta and to give up those players for crosby would not be in washington interests what so ever . What sticks in your craws is that washington got the best player in the draft in Ovechkin and you all just cannot stand it because he will be the games biggest star in the future and is playing there not your team . Further you smog a** people show you know knowing about hockey with every post you make in evauluating talent or propossing trades. You cannot admit that now the caps are going to be one of the two or three best teams over the next 10-15 years with all their young talent . But when it happens we caps fans will laught at your poor team and bash you players . So have fun for now because our time is coming and I for one will take great glee it giving this all back to you .

Also it will really piss you off if we get that #1 pick and choose Crosby . Then we will hear that he it not as good as promised and you wll trash talk him.

You people are so easy to read and that is why the joke is on you because smallmnded people are to be pittied and i pitty you all .

Not saying this jokingly at all, but how old are you?

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
okay you would trade the guy who might be the next one... if you do then i guess 10 years later you will cry seiing Crosby lift the cup for a 5th time with a season of 58 goals 71 assists and 129 points... ahh.. and also 35 points in 18 playoff games

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
capman29 said:

Dont lump the rest of the 99.9% of capitals' fans in with your opinion b/c I dont see to many of us running at the mouth like you do

We would be lucky to see 2 or 3 of our prospects become impact players

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1137

2005 Opening Day Roster (with ages as of October 1st, 2000)

Matt Pettinger (19) – Kris Beech (19) – Michal Sivek (19)

Richard Zednik (24) – Jan Bulis (22) – Charlie Stephens (19)

Steve Konowalchuk (27) – Jeff Halpern (24) – Chris Corrinet (21)

Roman Tvrdon (19) – Brian Sutherby (18) – Stephen Peat (20)

Sergei Gonchar (26) – Alexei Tezikov (22)
Rastislav Stana (20)

Ross Lupaschuk (19) – Brendan Witt (25)
Sebastien Charpentier (23)

J.F. Fortin (21) – Jakub Cutta (18)

How many of those players are still with washington? Thats the perfect example of how that even though we have alot of promising talent, most of those players wont be a part of the capitals future...so to think we'll be tops in the league just by drafting is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->