A couple of ?s. 1 Piece->2 Piece Stick, Heatley's Visor, and more!

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
Let me start off by introducing myself, I'm GruntyCanuck! I'm a Sabres/Canucks fan, born and raised in Buffalo. The Class of 1970 have always been my teams.

So I have a couple of questions. I currently own a wooden, 1 piece Montreal stick. Its blade is running out of life sadly. I was curious, as a friend told me he did it with one of his old wood sticks, if it was possible to make my wood stick into a shaft for a new blade. I rather like my current stick/shaft and would rather not basically toss it out.

So how can I convert this into a shaft for a new blade? The blade would be a Nike Bauer One60 with a Naslund curve I believe (I've tried the Naslund curve and really like it).

Now my second question, what visor does Heatley use? Its a rather large visor, covers most of his face and has the two teeth kind of things in front (you'll know what I mean when you see it). And where can I purchase it?

Last question. I've been hearing a lot about these things that go onto your stick blades instead of tape. Like this Are these any good and a smart alternative to tape?

Thanks a lot guys and I'll be sure to make plenty of posts in the future :)

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
To answer your 3 questions:
1-Pretty sure unless you are planning to make it a street hockey stick, your woodie is shot. A one piece composite has a hollow shaft that the blade fits into. There's no way to attach a replacement blade to a wooden stick.

2-I believe Heatley's visor is a pro model, check out a retail site like hockeymonkey.com to see if there is one similar to that.

3-I'd stay away from just using that blade covering. It does not cover the bottom where an awful lot of wear occurs. Putting that on and covering it with tape would improve puck feel, though.

Hope I answered all your questions

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
Alright thanks. I didn't see Heatley's visor on there but I did see plenty of similar ones. I bet he just uses a custom made one.

Too bad about the wooden stick. Guess I'll just buy a composite. Is the Nike Bauer One50 any good?

I'm not gonna bother with the blade covering I don't think, but I might just do what I usually do and tape the bottom of my stick and use tape where I usually put it (I do a funny tape job). Or I could tape the bottom of my stick and use those neat things. I'll try out a few things and give my report.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
1- You can try to make it a blade for a shaft, your idea is just a little backwards. But don't recommend it.

2- Heatley's visor is available sort of...they got a model just like it but a tad smaller and it has vents on top. Just Dremel the vents off if you want the look.

3- They're called Tacki-mac pads so if your interested you can look 'em up. It's personal preference, I just use my normal tape.

4- stay away from cheap OPS composite sticks. Get a nicer shaft or closeout OPS from last year instead. Or if you don't know what you really want just get a nice wood stick like a one60.

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
Well I was actually looking at the one60, but I couldn't find a site with the Naslund curve. I went to a couple of stores around here and can only find one90s.

I'm gonna keep looking though!

edit: Alright, I found a one60 with Naslund curve (the stick I was originally looking for) For reference I found it on this site: http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/z/hockey_sticks_adult.htm

The Naslund curve is P92 btw.

Last edited:

2x4*

Let me start off by introducing myself, I'm GruntyCanuck! I'm a Sabres/Canucks fan, born and raised in Buffalo. The Class of 1970 have always been my teams.

So I have a couple of questions. I currently own a wooden, 1 piece Montreal stick. Its blade is running out of life sadly. I was curious, as a friend told me he did it with one of his old wood sticks, if it was possible to make my wood stick into a shaft for a new blade. I rather like my current stick/shaft and would rather not basically toss it out.

So how can I convert this into a shaft for a new blade? The blade would be a Nike Bauer One60 with a Naslund curve I believe (I've tried the Naslund curve and really like it).

Now my second question, what visor does Heatley use? Its a rather large visor, covers most of his face and has the two teeth kind of things in front (you'll know what I mean when you see it). And where can I purchase it?

Last question. I've been hearing a lot about these things that go onto your stick blades instead of tape. Like this Are these any good and a smart alternative to tape?

Thanks a lot guys and I'll be sure to make plenty of posts in the future :)

No offense but why would you want to (if its even possible) convert a wood stick into a shaft blade combo?

2x4*

Oh yea I forgot to ask I am assuming you live in Buffalo because of the link to greatskate. Do you ever play at the pepsi center?

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
No offense but why would you want to (if its even possible) convert a wood stick into a shaft blade combo?
Make use of all your resources that's why! If it was possible I'd do that to some wood sticks I hate and are just sitting around. I've thought about doing it with the blade to test it, but the blade curve is what I hated so didn't put the effort in.

While talking about Heatley, I hear that his curve is Easton's curve that closest resembles the Lindros curve. Is this true?

I'd say the closest might be a Modano/Forsberg in an Easton. Or maybe Iggy or Gaborik? Thing with Lindros is the 6 lie which Easton doesn't have.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Make use of all your resources that's why! If it was possible I'd do that to some wood sticks I hate and are just sitting around. I've thought about doing it with the blade to test it, but the blade curve is what I hated so didn't put the effort in.

I'd say the closest might be a Modano/Forsberg in an Easton. Or maybe Iggy or Gaborik? Thing with Lindros is the 6 lie which Easton doesn't have.
Gaborik's curve doesnt ressemble the Lindros curbe one bit.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Well I was actually looking at the one60, but I couldn't find a site with the Naslund curve. I went to a couple of stores around here and can only find one90s.

I'm gonna keep looking though!

edit: Alright, I found a one60 with Naslund curve (the stick I was originally looking for) For reference I found it on this site: http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/z/hockey_sticks_adult.htm

The Naslund curve is P92 btw.

If you like the Naslaund curve. Look for a leftover VaporXX or VaporXXX OPS. You can probably find one for under $100.

Staalwart

Feb 24, 2004
I was basing it off of the info I got that Gaborik was a mid, neutral face as Lindros was, and the fact that it's the closest lie at 5.5

Your info is unfortunately wrong. The gaborik curve is a wicked toe curve, the forsberg/modano pattern is close to lindros tho.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

I've heard a lot about Iginla but his blade is too short for me. Gaborik's curve is way too big. I'd say Forsberg/Modano may also be close from the looks of it.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin

Jun 20, 2006
Coeur d'Alene

I think you can get his visor for the local junkyard. Just ask if they have the windshield of a 76 Trans-Am.

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
Oh yea I forgot to ask I am assuming you live in Buffalo because of the link to greatskate. Do you ever play at the pepsi center?
Yep.

Yea I've been looking at the Vapor series sticks, I'll get one of those in the near future.

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
Sorry for the double post but I said I would come back with an update and I have!

So my Nike Bauer One60 with P92 (Naslund Curve) arrived a couple of days ago. I practiced with it today, and Im in love. Im able to bank it off my skates as fluently as Bure and able to thread it through my legs even better than before.

Then I gave my all in a wrist shot. It sored into the top corner. I repeated several times and in a scrimmage scored 2 goals from the top of the circle.

For my final goal I received a pass in front and I was on my back hand and one timed it, catching the area were the post meets the crossbar and it went into the net.

My first hat trick on my first day with a new stick :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad