A Couple of Questions for Vlad the Impaler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
First, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read in one of your posts that you're not a fan of any particular NHL team, but just a hockey fan in general. Is that true or have I confused you with someone else?

If true, how do you manage to stay so interested in hockey without rooting for a particular team?

I am impressed by your knowledge of hockey and, if you are "totally neutral", I'd like your assessment of the following four Entry-Draft prospects. For the record, in case you don't know, I'm a Ducks fan and I'm looking at what they'll do with the 9th selection overall. Thanks:

1. A. J. Thelen
2. Drew Stafford
3. Andrew Ladd
4. Radulov (I'm blanking on his first name at the moment).

Anyone else with strong opinions on any of these guys feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm assuming that is a mis-type about the 39th overall selection, because those for guys are going to be long gone by that point.

Did you mean 9th overall?

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Mountie said:
I'm assuming that is a mis-type about the 39th overall selection, because those for guys are going to be long gone by that point.

Did you mean 9th overall?

Sorry about the typo. Yes, I meant 9th overall. I'll edit my initial post.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Kick Save said:
If true, how do you manage to stay so interested in hockey without rooting for a particular team?

I am a neutral hockey fan, unless I'm at the game. (I generally cheer for the home team, which changes as I'm both a season ticket holder here in SJ and I go to games in other places; most recent was LA @ Colorado, for which I boo'ed Salami mercilessly, while still cheering for the Avs.) Before the Sharks were around, I was a Kings fan, but I didn't want to cheer for an away team, and SJ management has always stunk (more or less), so I don't cheer for any team at the moment.

Hockey is an incredibly easy game to like without liking a team; IMO the easiest of the Big 4. I watch hockey to see hitting, awesome skating, hitting, stickhandling, hitting, mental games, and have I mentioned hitting? (Obviously, one of my favorite players in the NHL is Rob Blake. He epitomizes what I like in a hockey player.) Most of all, though, I like genuine nice guys. I've gotten to know a number of boys that were once or are currently Sharks (along with other various teams), which explains my love of Mikka Kiprusoff, for example. Hockey's got its share of great people, and they keep me coming back for more.

I know this wasn't for me, but I felt I could put my two cents in here as to how I can love the game without having a favorite team.

Have a great one!
~Crazed.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Kick Save said:
First, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read in one of your posts that you're not a fan of any particular NHL team, but just a hockey fan in general. Is that true or have I confused you with someone else?

I am impressed by your knowledge of hockey and, if you are "totally neutral", I'd like your assessment of the following four Entry-Draft prospects. For the record, in case you don't know, I'm a Ducks fan and I'm looking at what they'll do with the 9th selection overall. Thanks:

1. A. J. Thelen
2. Drew Stafford
3. Andrew Ladd
4. Radulov (I'm blanking on his first name at the moment).

Anyone else with strong opinions on any of these guys feel free to chime in.

Vlad is a fan of no team because no team will have him.

I do know for a fact that there is one particular team he is very fond of, although it isn't in the NHL.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
I'm pretty sure Vlad is a Senators fan, if I'm wrong vlad will say so.

Nope. I wish I could recruit him to be a Sens fan, but it's hopeless. He's committed to being a fan of hockey rather than a fan of a specific team.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Indeed, they speak truth :)

I am a fan of no team, although I really enjoy watching certain players more than others. Sometimes, when a couple of them are on the same team I will watch a bit more closely. Sometimes, I am mistaken for a Habs fan (because of where I live), a sabres fan (because of my avatar) or a Sens fan (because I was editor of the Sens page at HF for a short while).

I also enjoy certain coaches and will follow them more closely. Overall, though, I print a full NHL schedule and I have a log book. I make sure I watch all 30 teams a certain number of periods per year. Sometimes with certain teams, it sucks because it's boring but I still love to do it.

The short answer to why I manage to stay interested is twofolds. At first, it was about money. I started observing all hockey teams because I got involved in simulation leagues (using the crappy but still fairly accurate Strat-O-Matic boardgame) and pools. With the sim league, there was a thousand bucks for the winner each season. That gets you motivated! I also managed to win most of the pools at the office where I was working in and quickly, it came to a point where former employees who were involved in other pools at other offices were asking me to write draft lists or pick for them in exchange for a percentage of the gain. It was good and easy cash :D

I just perfected it over time but the office work days are over and now I do it for fun.

The second part of the answer is really the NHL climate. I don't think it is fan-friendly. I admire team fans because they seem more loyal than many players. I think my heart would be broken if my captain was leaving because he wants an obscene salary raise. For instance, it was hard not to feel something for Ducks fan. They supported Kariya for years and then suddenly he bolts with his girlfriend to win a cup on a star-packed team. And he signs for a fraction of what he was earning on his former team. I don't like those things.

I think I'd love a system that is closer to what we see in certain European countries. Where the players are developed carefully in the home farm system and then play for the big team. I have a few ideas I'd like the NHL to explore. Like a quota on the number of trades that can be made yearly, a fair salary structure and a more restrictive free agent system. It's just wrong to see so few players spend their career with one single team.

I'd like some sense of tradition and of commitments.

Regarding the players you asked about, as I have said previously in other threads, this is an unusual year for me. I've seen much less hockey (live and TV) than usual and almost paid no attention to the 2004 prospects, unfortunately.

The only one I know is Andrew Ladd and I think he is very good but I have been spoiled with the 2003 draft. It's unfair but I'm thinking of the 2003 draft too much and it colors my impressions of Ladd. He's hard working and a *good* player. It's just that when you've been spoiled with players that have great upside the year before, it's tough to be excited about him. I see him as a sort of poor man's Scott Hartnell. That can be good or bad. Lots of people are high on Scott Hartnell, I'm not that much. A damn nice hockey player but nothing truly special.

I have a buddy who speaks highly of Stafford but isn't sold on AJ Thelen. I read on this board that AJ was rising and my friend still says he is not convinced.

For Alexander Radulov, you'll have to ask someone else too.

You've talked about the 9th pick. I dunno what the Ducks will do but expect a few nice players to be available there. The four names you mention could well be in this ballpark, although I have no idea who the teams are (and those who pretend they do usually fool themselves). If the Ducks follow the BPA strategy, there might be a nice goalie there. Or Chipchura. Lots of people say Chipchura is overrated but I really like him. I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a smart hockey player and the skills are not flashy but he does offer you something. Could be coachable guy you can plug from one line to the other seemlessly.
This is extremely valuable in today's hockey. As a top 5 pick he'd be a mistake but at 9th overall, it's not bad.

If the Rangers are serious about building a new atmosphere where COLLECTIVE play is emphasized, they might also want to look at Chipchura.

I'm flattered by the thread, guys. I didn't want to respond because I was hoping it would get to the second page :blush:

I check my PM box frequently and personal questions like these are probably best to be taken by PM if you ask me. I'm just a guy like every other and I don't come reading HF for nothing: It's because I think there are a lot of GREAT posters here. For instance, you can find some info regarding Ladd by Brock on some other recent thread.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Pucks said:
Vlad is a fan of no team because no team will have him.

I do know for a fact that there is one particular team he is very fond of, although it isn't in the NHL.

And my team will prevail over yours, buddy! Down with the Pucks! :mad:

;)

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Thanks, Vlad. I'm glad you did reply. It provided some interesting insights about you, personally, and your passion for hockey. If your friend isn't high on Thelen, I at least give him credit for not being a "bandwagoner".

Lack of size in general and lack of a good, durable Power Forward always have been the Ducks' nemeses. Although a lot may change between now and the draft, I'd be quite happy if the Ducks wound up with Drew Stafford.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
And my team will prevail over yours, buddy! Down with the Pucks! :mad:

;)

Come on now, we all know whose walking away with the Continental Cup this late spring...and its not the Pucks or the Dragons. :P

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
A.J Thelen - If he's left at 9, there is no doubt in my mind ANA will snatch him up. I have him rated at #5.

Drew Stafford - Not much knowlegde on him. I have him ranked at 17th.

Andrew Ladd - Good PF potential. Overrated due to playing with Getzlaf IMO.

Alexander Radulov - High Risk. I see him lasting till 23/24th overal.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fedz said:
Andrew Ladd - Good PF potential. Overrated due to playing with Getzlaf IMO.

How is he overrated?

As far as I know he's playe dmost of the year WITHOUT Getzlaf and has carried the team and stayed with the PPG average he had WITH Getzlaf.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Mountie said:
Come on now, we all know whose walking away with the Continental Cup this late spring...and its not the Pucks or the Dragons. :P

I knew you were a closet Pucks fan, as your avtar proves :lol

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
felixd said:
Vlad I have another question, why did you leave, then come back?

A quick reply, Vlad left because for a time things became unbearable around here, personal attacks and insults became rampant. Vlad came back because things got better, mods clamped down on this behavior.

:deadhorse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->