A conversation about the C position

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
We could bring in free agents or make the right trades when the time is right.
So we don't bring in free agents ( tavares) or by trades ( ROR) but we do it at some undetermined time.

Because when it comes to trades, there is nothing more appealing that green as grass players still on their NHL cup of coffee.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Prospects we hope to develop like we did Galchenyuk? 10 years of sucking and hoping players fill into team needs?

Yeah who WOULD'NT be down for that? Because what we want to do is take the players who want to stick around and turn the ship around, what we need to do is crush their spirits so that what we want is buffalo where losing became accepted in order to hope that what's behind door number two saves us from ourselves.

What's behind door number two could be anything, it could even be a boat!

It worked well for Toronto. Furthermore as in the case of Duchene for Colorado, when you lose long-lasting players, it may actually give a breath of fresh air to the roster with guys wanting a chance to prove themselves. It's a young man's league.

Also when you are in a culture of losing, it's good to tear up the roots.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You are free to say what you want. Thinking that what you want Trump's the very real and clear economic realities of a private company, not so much.

Molson given the choice of making the playoffs for 10 years an no cup, OR no playoffs with some indeterminate chance of a cup gets to make that decision, it's HIS dime not yours.

Personally I 'd like to address systemic deficiencies and get better, even if it is slow. Don't let the good be the enemy of the great. Don't get into a system that codifies losing for some indeterminate potential benefit that is almost exclusively our of our direct control.

If you are struggling financially, selling your car to buy lottery tickets is appropriately described as idiotically irresponsible. Why you want to apply this and think it's justified mystefies me.

So you now know what Molson wants to do? You think he just cares about making money, slipping into the playoffs, and getting a few home games of playoff revenue.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What we have been doing for the last 20+ years isn't working, so what is wrong with trying something completely different for the next 5 years?
Because "try something else" isn't a plan.

You want to REALLY try something different than what we have been doing? Then get a freaking center better than Phil Danault.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So you now know what Molson wants to do? You think he just cares about making money, slipping into the playoffs, and getting a few home games of playoff revenue.
As a guy who owns a private business????

The horrors! To think he won't go broke to sate your sense of what you would enjoy.

What a selfish bastard!!!!

( I'll let you figure out to whom that was directed)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That is the thing with having Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reilly number going up is that they are becoming RFAs and, good numbers means more money, more money means we will have to trade a couple and replace them with what? We have not a single propects able to make an impact on the 2nd or 3rd line the following year. A top 2 offensive dmen will need to be acquire if we dont get Dahlin. Byron is set to become UFA.Now unless you are able to trade Shaw, Alzner, Schlemko and even then it might not work with the salary cap.

If you keep painting everything opaque, nothing can get done, regardless who is in charge. Allow me to just doubt that everything will be abjectly dismal.

Looking to improve the team shouldn't be a magic bullet scenario where they instantly become #1 contenders for the Cup. That won't happen. Shooting down any one move as failing to make us instant contenders is just disingenuous, IMO, or obstinate for the sake of being obstinate.

Either that, or you've given up all hope, period.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
As a guy who owns a private business????

The horrors! To think he won't go broke to save your sense of what you would enjoy.

What a selfish bastard!!!!

( I'll let you figure out to whom that was directed)

He wants to keep Bergevin I guess this whole board should stop talking about that too, because it’s not their decision.

And he ain’t going broke rebuilding this franchise properly.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Bergevin gets his things in order and he finally gets us that big centerman that we've always wanted. His name is Ryan O'Reilly, and we had to trade our first, and Poehling for him. And then Bergevin goes out and he signs Stastny.

Where do you think this gets us? If you would like him to do such a thing, tell us why. Let's have a conversation.
Not interested but let’s say he does it anyway... The 1st better not be for this year. It would need to be a top 15ish protected.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If you are struggling financially, selling your car to buy lottery tickets is appropriately described as idiotically irresponsible. Why you want to apply this and think it's justified mystefies me.

Why do you want to attempt a strategy which has not won a cup in recent memory? Because of Molson's wallet?

Reactions: Kimota

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Ok!
Let's say we do, who's that center?
If ROR is not the guy, he's that guy proximal. A perfect answer? No. Better than. Intentionally sucking in hopes that a guy actually reaches his ceiling to be hopefully as good as ROR? Damn straight!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why do you want to attempt a strategy which has not won a cup in recent memory? Because of Molson's wallet?
Making a team. Better is now bad and making ateam worse is now good?

Is. That you Mr. Purplepants?

And your method of having a team who has shown little, if any, ability to develop players to go scorched earth and turn them ALL into world beaters makes perfect sense

Reactions: 417

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you keep painting everything opaque, nothing can get done, regardless who is in charge. Allow me to just doubt that everything will be abjectly dismal.

Looking to improve the team shouldn't be a magic bullet scenario where they instantly become #1 contenders for the Cup. That won't happen. Shooting down any one move as failing to make us instant contenders is just disingenuous, IMO, or obstinate for the sake of being obstinate.

I just need to look at our NHL and AHL teams standing and who is in charge to know that there is no hope until a complete overhaul is made.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Pretty simple reasoning:

1.) the eventual goal is to build a cup winner
2.) the only cup winners recently have drafted high to build major parts of their team
3.) rather than try to reinvent the wheel, we adopt the only strategy that has worked

Is it a guarantee? No, but what guarantee does your plan offer? Mediocrity? Or do you have some other plan to bridge us from ROR being our #1C to us being a credible threat in the playoffs?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

And your method of having a team who has shown little, if any, ability to develop players to go scorched earth and turn them ALL into world beaters makes perfect sense

That is why you hire better guys to develop players.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty simple reasoning:

2.) the only cup winners recently have drafted high to build major parts of their team
3.) rather than try to reinvent the wheel, we adopt the only strategy that has worked

Is it a guarantee? No, but what guarantee does your plan offer? Mediocrity? Or do you have some other plan to bridge us from ROR being our #1C to us being a credible threat in the playoffs?
The plan is to make the playoffs since anything can happen in the playoffs, while we keep drafting 18th+ overall and trade our 2nd round picks for playoffs help. 25 years of mediocrity perpetuated.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd rather draft in the top 7, put out a shit roster again next year. Then get another top pick, lose Bergevin and get a real GM. I think O'Reilly would be a good fit for the team, but trading a top 7 pick and the top prospect in the organization for him seems crazy to me.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I don't really agree with this. Everyone here agrees we'd be better immediately with ROR. Everyone here agrees that he doesn't get us to contention, not even close. It's not just a fair question, but the question to ask: given that he doesn't get us there, what does get us there, and does trading ROR make sense with that plan?

That's not giving up hope, that's just being rational.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
That is why you hire better guys to develop players.
So the plan is to hire new management to select players who are 3-5 years away from contributing, and if. ( more like when) they don't all pan out we burn it ddown. Again?

The people who got us into this mess, you think giving them a second kick. At the cat get's us out?

Whatever happens molson will still likelybe owner.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We need a new core of players and it will take years.
We are not winning with 31 years old Price, 33 years old Weber and Drouin as our core.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty simple reasoning:

Johnny come lately plans are no guarantee. The oilers tried your plan, how'd that. Work out?

The. Notion that there is only one. Way to a cup is silly. You can't leverage the future every year, make trades that address deficiencies and the teambetter going forward. Don't overextend yourself (hard in montreal) but if the plan is draft teenagers and. Need them. All to pan out, that's a crapshoot I want nothing to do with.

We either. Address center. Depth or we get whatwe have got.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Johnny come lately plans are no guarantee. The oilers tried your plan, how'd that. Work out?

The. Notion that there is only one. Way to a cup is silly. You can't leverage the future every year, make trades that address deficiencies and the teambetter going forward. Don't overextend yourself (hard in montreal) but if the plan is draft teenagers and. Need them. All to pan out, that's a crapshoot I want nothing to do with.

We either. Address center. Depth or we get whatwe have got.

This is barely english.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->