A Civil War is about to begin in the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh man...this is gonna be good.

While we're on this, does anyone have a link to Scott Oake's interview with Adrian Aucoin? They showed this between games where the Blackhawks played the Oilers in the late game on HNIC, and Ron MacLean was talking to Eric Lindros between games.

Dogbert*

Why is this relevant? The CBA is done and signed. There won't be a need to discuss it again for 5 years.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If this is indeed a Civil War, wont the Civil War be like, 50 people vs. 350 people? I don't see how in the heck the smaller group will ever win anything. Even if Saskin is taken out as the lead guy, couldn't the majourity vote him in like a week later?

pipes31

Mar 2, 2005
Guess
Dogbert said:
Why is this relevant? The CBA is done and signed. There won't be a need to discuss it again for 5 years.

If this is the lawsuit that I am thinking it is, then it is relevant because the CBA that was signed has clauses that are affecting how current AHL contracts, that were pre-existing, are being paid out, ie. the 24% or 25% roll back...and if it's an NHL CBA, it shouldn't have any jurisdiction (for lack of a better work) over pre-existing contracts at the AHL level. If they want to attempt to have a 25% rollback on new prospective contracts at the AHL, then so be it, but...they'll be fought on that as well, because the CBA says the roll back was intended for NHL salaries, not AHL. I only browsed through that article on TSN, this could be a completely separate issue.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
pipes31 said:
If this is the lawsuit that I am thinking it is, then it is relevant because the CBA that was signed has clauses that are affecting how current AHL contracts, that were pre-existing, are being paid out, ie. the 24% or 25% roll back...and if it's an NHL CBA, it shouldn't have any jurisdiction (for lack of a better work) over pre-existing contracts at the AHL level. If they want to attempt to have a 25% rollback on new prospective contracts at the AHL, then so be it, but...they'll be fought on that as well, because the CBA says the roll back was intended for NHL salaries, not AHL. I only browsed through that article on TSN, this could be a completely separate issue.
Were the AHL salaries were included in that 24% rollback? I just thought that AHL salaries are being repressed by the new CBA do to the waiver call-up rule. However, AHLers still have the choice to take the cut and play at $75k or take the risk and play for more. What about AHL players who were on NHL contracts and loaned to teams? Were many of those players subject to the rollback?

EDIT: And is the CBA absolutely official, or are they still banging out some of the smaller details?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
The CBA is official.

And I would have to see a link regarding rolling back AHL contracts by 24% before I accept it as fact. I'm guessing you might mean two-way contracts, but I have no idea if that qualifies as an NHL contract regardless. If it does, then this argument has no merit.

The most interesting part of this ordeal is how the sycophants in the meda are becomming divided as well. Ron MacLean hammered Saskin with more hard questions in one interview on HNIT than he did Goodenow in the latter's entire run as NHLPA director. Glen Healy last night basically stated that since ten team reps didnt vote, then they have no right to whine. What's done is done, and they have to live with it.

Big Cat Davo

Oct 7, 2003
Medicine Hat, Albert
Visit site
Article

Did you guys even read the article. The point is that group of guys are still upset over the way Saskin was hired. And while for many of you it may seem petty those rules are there for a reason and no one is above them. This has nothing to do with the CBA or the AHL. It has everything to do with the way the leadership of the NHLPA is suppsed to be detmined as agreed in the Union's charter, verus how Saskin ws hired.

Dave

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
ya know, initially, I wanted to just tell these guys to shut the hell up and let everyone move on - but truthfully, as Big Cat Davo pointed out, those rules are there for a reason. I mean, why have them, if it's ok for some people to just do their own thing, just because it happens to be easier at the time?

I think they have a good argument. I hate to see it, because obviously it means more bad press and more divisions in the hockey world....but, if they want parity in the league, they need to start by being impartial behind closed doors, too.

I recall that there was a pretty good article about this in the Toronto Star, but can't find it now....here's an interesting site though, well ....at least it may be interesting for those of you who are interested in the whole mess http://trentklatt.com/November26PressRelease.php

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Man, NHLPA members fighting against each other?? Too good to be true! :biglaugh:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing Rich Winter has ever done has ever helped the NHL or hockey in general. That should tell you well enough which side should be supported.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Big Cat Davo said:
Did you guys even read the article. The point is that group of guys are still upset over the way Saskin was hired. And while for many of you it may seem petty those rules are there for a reason and no one is above them. This has nothing to do with the CBA or the AHL. It has everything to do with the way the leadership of the NHLPA is suppsed to be detmined as agreed in the Union's charter, verus how Saskin ws hired.

Dave

Lets face reality here. If Saskin came in, pushed Goodenow aside, and got a deal without a salary cap, do you think we would be having this debate?

What this is is a collection of old hockey players, some of which arent even in the NHL anymore, so should just butt out, and disapear into the sunset, getting pissed that Saskin, Linden, and players who actually had any amount of time left in their carreers werent willing to fall on their swords for some silly principle.

The method of Saskin's election is merely a convienent tool to try and force him out, and it is rather hypocritical for the dissident players to be complaining about how Saskin was voted in exactly the same way they continually re-elected Goodenow in his position.

+73*

Marshall said:
"The afternoon session, sources told TSN, was punctuated by verbal exchanges between Saskin and Edmonton-based player agent Ritch Winter, who Saskin accused of orchestrating the dissident group within the NHLPA."

TSN is so corny sometimes, as i was reading that phrase i was waiting for the nWo theme to kick in...

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
Nothing Rich Winter has ever done has ever helped the NHL or hockey in general. That should tell you well enough which side should be supported.

Player agents were big losers in this new CBA as well as players so nobody should be surprised if Rich Winter is behind this.

The bottom line is the NHLPA has been broken and reduced to a
paper tiger with all sorts of characters fighting for control.

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
THANK HEAVENS that Trent is staying in the forefront of things; he has had such an impact on the game. :shakehead
Have you noticed how he's let himself go? Is it just me or was he sporting a pair of man boobs? Trent looks like hell.

The Tourettes Guy

Aug 13, 2005
Sudbury
Haha. I had thoughts of the nwo theme as well. Torontonian Trent Klatt as the head of the n.w.o with Rich Winter and Bob Goodenow as the Outsiders. Maybe Trent will throw Saskin into the side of an arena
in a way similar to what Kevin Nash did to Rey Mysterio.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
There may be more to this...

A trio of current and retired National Hockey League players is demanding the NHL Players' Association show them the money when it comes to accounting for licensing fees and the players' union dating back 25 years.

Former NHL player Bob Probert, along with Los Angeles Kings forward Jeremy Roenick and Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach Denis Savard are for a second time attempting to obtain the union's annual financial statements.

"Their reply was most unimpressive," Windsor lawyer/former player agent Pat Ducharme said of a request made earlier this month. "They're saying, 'We've done everything we're supposed to do.' Essentially, it says, 'Trust us to do the right thing.'

"We're not satisfied with that."

The players want to know where the hundreds of millions of dollars were spent or if the monies were spent.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/story.html?id=217dd0e2-b1ad-41b3-a569-78c1cf5b35ec&k=81023

I've always wondered where al that money went, too bad the players didn't.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Resolute said:
The CBA is official.

It may be official, but if there was any wrong doing on the NHLPA's part and if it is determined that they acted in an illegal fashion, the CBA could actually be considered null and void. An agreement/contract can't be entered into if one party has acted in an illegal manner. That's why this upcoming hearing is so important. If the Saskin and Linden mafia acted illegally, there goes the CBA.

Resolute said:
And I would have to see a link regarding rolling back AHL contracts by 24% before I accept it as fact. I'm guessing you might mean two-way contracts, but I have no idea if that qualifies as an NHL contract regardless. If it does, then this argument has no merit.

The most interesting part of this ordeal is how the sycophants in the meda are becomming divided as well. Ron MacLean hammered Saskin with more hard questions in one interview on HNIT than he did Goodenow in the latter's entire run as NHLPA director. Glen Healy last night basically stated that since ten team reps didnt vote, then they have no right to whine. What's done is done, and they have to live with it.

I think what we're seeing here is the ugly underbelly that existed with the union. We're going to really see the separation of the haves and have nots now. As well, when you read reports that guys are asking for Union documents in terms of revenues over the past 25 years and they're being denied access to those documents, it really makes you wonder what is going on with the union and if there's some sort of cover up going on.

As for people taking their runs at Ted Saskin, I think there was an intimidation factor with Goodenow in which everyone tip toed around him. With Saskin, there isn't that intimidation factor so people are lining up to take their shots and to see if he can withstand it.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
As for people taking their runs at Ted Saskin, I think there was an intimidation factor with Goodenow in which everyone tip toed around him. With Saskin, there isn't that intimidation factor so people are lining up to take their shots and to see if he can withstand it.
So now they are asking the head of the PA, who has been the head for only short period, where the money went for the last 25 years? Where were these people prior to raising a stink now?

Maybe Goodenow pulled an Eagleson, except that he made the players so rich that they didnt notice he was robbing them.

GSC2k2*

BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
It may be official, but if there was any wrong doing on the NHLPA's part and if it is determined that they acted in an illegal fashion, the CBA could actually be considered null and void. An agreement/contract can't be entered into if one party has acted in an illegal manner. That's why this upcoming hearing is so important. If the Saskin and Linden mafia acted illegally, there goes the CBA.

Legally speaking, you are not correct at all.

I assume you are not referring to the scenarion where Linden/Saskin were in cahoots with the NHL. Absent that, the CBA will not be invalidated, regardless of the internal conduct of the NHLPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->