A change in the WJC that I would love to see.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I would love to see Canada split into 3 teams, one for each junior league.

Canada West, WHL teams, Canada East QMJHL teams and Central Canada for the WHL.

I think all 3 teams could be very strong, but I dont think Canada would dominate the gold medal as they have the past few years.

Just something I would love to see.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
It would be interesting to see just how deep Canada's junior program is. But after a few years of losing, I get the feeling we'd all be screaming for the old team. Seeing as how we play Russia more years than not in the finals, we already have the Canada-Russia challenge where the three leagues face Russia. All three leagues win every year.

As well, what do you do with the NCAA players? Without Toews right now, where would Canada be?

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
He probably is fan of another team, and you think we dominate the tourney. Um....we nearly lost to USA and were the underdogs vs Russia. Oh Ya we dominate.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Seeing as how we play Russia more years than not in the finals, we already have the Canada-Russia challenge where the three leagues face Russia. All three leagues win every year.

The russia squad in the WJ championship is clearly better then the one they send over for the CR challenge so I don't think we can use that as a measuring stick. Not sure if you were trying to say that, though.

I think what would happen is instead of a team that is favoured to win every year - we'd have 3 teams of underdogs. Maybe not huge underdogs but underdogs nonetheless. The NCAA thing could be handled by just putting the top NCAA players on the teams in the areas they were born (ie.. Toews would be in the West team). Still.. the whole concept is a bit ridiculous.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
The russia squad in the WJ championship is clearly better then the one they send over for the CR challenge so I don't think we can use that as a measuring stick. Not sure if you were trying to say that, though.

Nah, I wasn't trying to use it as a measuring stick. Just saying we already have something in that format.

I like things the way they are, and I could not imagine the IIHF approving of a division of a country's leagues. I think it would be pretty cocky to do such a thing on our part as well.

knights2005

Dec 13, 2006
If the Q ever did better than the W or O under that format, we would never hear the end of it.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006

I think all 3 teams could be very strong, but I dont think Canada would dominate the gold medal as they have the past few years.

Ok, and when there's a baseball World Championship, let's split the USA team into 50 teams, one for each state ... and they would still kick Canada's ***.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com

You would also end up with Toews not playing for Canada since he's from the NCAA. Stupid idea.

Jazz

We can do this for invitational tournaments....

But it would be silly to have something in a World Championships/Olympics. I mean the Brazilians don't have 2 teams in soccer's World Cup

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
We can do this for invitational tournaments....

But it would be silly to have something in a World Championships/Olympics. I mean the Brazilians don't have 2 teams in soccer's World Cup
They didnt even win with one though ;).

phoow

Dec 6, 2006
Don't you think other countries would be upset if Canada gets three chances of winning gold?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's an interesting idea, but hey Canadian hockey fans, lets not get too cocky. The last several years Hockey Canada has been blessed with a large number of talented hockey players. That could easily dry up with a couple of bad birth years.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Ok, and when there's a baseball World Championship, let's split the USA team into 50 teams, one for each state ... and they would still kick Canada's ***.

But... we lost to Canada in Baseball... :dunce:

You might be on to something though. Obviously American national teams suck *** and never win anything (softball world cup doesn't count, sorry) so splitting them up into states might give us a better chance at winning something. :sarcasm:

millerboy*

funny how a japanese guy would say that when the only sport they are good at is baseball, and theyre still not the best. I guess they own at world of warcraft nad video games

LongRoad

Jan 5, 2005
Somewhat along the lines of the World U-17 Hockey Challenge I guess. It would be interesting as I think our depth is unmatched but I don't know if it's quite deep enough to field three competitive teams..

Macman

May 15, 2004
It'll never happen, but the change I'd love to see is NHL teams being compelled to send their junior-age players to the junior worlds. I'm tired of seeing Canada go to this thing every year with its best players in the NHL.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
It'll never happen, but the change I'd love to see is NHL teams being compelled to send their junior-age players to the junior worlds. I'm tired of seeing Canada go to this thing every year with its best players in the NHL.

I disagree - I like seeing only Canada's junior players & NCAA players in the game. We still ice probably the best team 4 out of 5 years.

I enjoy watching these tight games. The US/Canada game would have not been nearly as exciting if we had all those NHL guys. Also.. do we really need to see Sidney Crosby against Germany's junior team (although it might have been fun to see him against the Johnsons).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->