A case for NHL in Houston!

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Ignorant Americans.

What does Winnipeg offer to a franchise? What makes Winnipeg such a beautiful option for a franchise right now? The 15,003 seat MTS Centre? No thank you. Nobody is going to move an NHL team in to that arena it's to small even if they fill it every night it wont make as much as some of the floundering NHL franchises make.

Raoul Duke*

My point was missed.

Empty seats, paid for or not - shows the amount of support for hockey in Texas. If representatives from Houston are meeting with the Penguins ownership in Dallas during the Allstar game, along with the Board of Governors.

A team of 10 years in the NHL and their fans don't show up to the Allstar game. Or if the corporate sponsers own the tickets and their clients don't show up - it means the tickets were worthless to them. The Allstar Game is a once in 20 years sort of thing for cities - a novelty, and nobody showed up. Tickets or not.

Yeah, I'm moving a team to Houston. They'll for sure buy tickets for people who don't want to be there. It's not an America thing.... in Philly and Chicago I remember the most wild crowds for an AllStar game in history.

It's that the NHL only gets clout in Texas if the team is in the late rounds of the playoffs. But sorry, only 4 teams get there every year, and it ain't gonna be Dallas or Houston every year. You might support a playoff team....

This is the showcase of the entire NHL. And nobody is there? I guarantee if that game was in Edmonton next year - the entire building would be sold out in minutes. And everyone would show up.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Ignorant Canadians. Seriously, even the Canadian family I have say they'd never live in Winnipeg.
That's not a fair statement. I've to Winnipeg and it's a great city for its size, I was pretty impressed. However, people need to get over it...Winnipeg wont be in the NHL anytime soon. But just don't go bash other peoples cities.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It's that the NHL only gets clout in Texas if the team is in the late rounds of the playoffs. But sorry, only 4 teams get there every year, and it ain't gonna be Dallas or Houston every year. You might support a playoff team....

4 teams - conference finals, OK. The Stars haven't been there since '99-'00.

Their attendance since then:

Dallas Stars 1999-00 41 697,041 17,001
- Lost SC Finals

Dallas Stars 2000-01 41 697,041 17,001
- Lost Conf Semi Finals (2nd round)

Dallas Stars 2001-02 41 759,632 18,528
- Moved from Reunion Arena (17,001) to American Airlines Center (18,532)
- Missed the Playoffs

Dallas Stars 2002-03 41 759,812 18,532
- Lost Conf Semi Finals (2nd round)

Dallas Stars 2003-04 41 752,556 18,355
- Lost Conf Quarter Finals (1st round)

Dallas Stars 2005-06 41 730,979 17,828 96.2%
- Lost Conf Quarter Finals (1st round)

Dallas Stars 2006-07 24 429,642 17,901 96.6%
- Currently 6th seed in the West.

Yup. No "late rounds of the playoffs" in the last 5 (going on 6) years and their attendance certainly is in freefall - Kind of like your credibility.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
First off, it just snowed here in Austin and in Houston. How do I know? Because I live in Austin and have friends in Houston. We have ice storms almost every year or every other year. So we know what snow and ice is.

Secondly, what time do you go to work? What time do you get off of work? What time do you eat at night? Did you have Christmas off? Did you have New Years off? If you're an American, did you have MLK day off? Do you have kids that have to be at school tomorrow? Those are all things you got to factor into when talking about the All-Star Game. And I also know that Dallas, along with Austin, and Houston were just recovering from a snowstorm, so some businesses were closed, meaning more days off. People simply can't go, oh well, it's an All-Star Game, let's skip tomorrow! And the tickets are still expensive!

Third, Houston would be fantastic. The rivaleries and such with Dallas.

Personally I would move the Panthers over to Houston and then rename them. Don't want to have too many Southern teams.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
My point was missed.
More like, you're just wrong. Dallas has consistently good attendance, so trying to say there's no support there is incorrect. People who were there have said (time and again) the fan sections were full, the sections of tickets that go to the NHL suits were empty.

Personally I would move the Panthers over to Houston and then rename them. Don't want to have too many Southern teams.
:rolleyes: That's some good solid reasoning right there.

Transported Upstater

This quote is so confusing that I cannot stop looking at it.

Damn thing's hypnotic.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
My point was missed.

Empty seats, paid for or not - shows the amount of support for hockey in Texas. If representatives from Houston are meeting with the Penguins ownership in Dallas during the Allstar game, along with the Board of Governors.

A team of 10 years in the NHL and their fans don't show up to the Allstar game. Or if the corporate sponsers own the tickets and their clients don't show up - it means the tickets were worthless to them. The Allstar Game is a once in 20 years sort of thing for cities - a novelty, and nobody showed up. Tickets or not.

Yeah, I'm moving a team to Houston. They'll for sure buy tickets for people who don't want to be there. It's not an America thing.... in Philly and Chicago I remember the most wild crowds for an AllStar game in history.

This is the showcase of the entire NHL. And nobody is there? I guarantee if that game was in Edmonton next year - the entire building would be sold out in minutes. And everyone would show up.

Probably... but then again what else is there to do in Edmonton? Better yet does the NHL owners collectively give a rats ass about edmonton in the long run? I doubt it. Matter of fact, I was just watching a movie about the NASL (North American Soccer League) and they blamed one of reason it failed was because it was in no business markets like edmonton and calgary. :amazed:

In fact, here is the video clip for your viewing pleasure. Notice how he didn't say Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal?

Last edited:

ShooterMcGavin*

Probably... but then again what else is there to do in Edmonton? Better yet does the NHL owners collectively give a rats ass about edmonton in the long run? I doubt it. Matter of fact, I was just watching a movie about the NASL (North American Soccer League) and they blamed one of reason it failed was because it was in no business markets like edmonton and calgary. :amazed:

Calgary over a million people....Edmonton almost a million? What you think is going on over here? We have 40 thousand people here or something?

But in reality, think about Canada. Population mid 40 million, USA's population 300 million. Even though Hockey is the 5th most popular sport there, it still gets alot of viewership and fanbase. I would rather see a team in Houston then boring ass Winnipeg. And when it comes down to it also, Canada doesn't have that many major cities.

Toronto 7 Million
Montreal 4 Million
Vancouver 2-3 Million
Ottawa Just over a million
Calgary Just over a million
Edmonton just under a million

But guess what, after that it goes like Halifax Winnepeg Victoria and a bunch of suburban mid cities in Ontario for population. Just because Canadians fallow hockey and adore it doesn't mean the NHL is obligated to put a team in Regina or Quebec City. If you want to create a bigger fan base, and having a better chance to make revenue then your best bet is a city like Houston.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Calgary over a million people....Edmonton almost a million? What you think is going on over here? We have 40 thousand people here or something?

But in reality, think about Canada. Population mid 40 million, USA's population 300 million. Even though Hockey is the 5th most popular sport there, it still gets alot of viewership and fanbase. I would rather see a team in Houston then boring ass Winnipeg. And when it comes down to it also, Canada doesn't have that many major cities.

Toronto 7 Million
Montreal 4 Million
Vancouver 2-3 Million
Ottawa Just over a million
Calgary Just over a million
Edmonton just under a million

But guess what, after that it goes like Halifax Winnepeg Victoria and a bunch of suburban mid cities in Ontario for population. Just because Canadians fallow hockey and adore it doesn't mean the NHL is obligated to put a team in Regina or Quebec City. If you want to create a bigger fan base, and having a better chance to make revenue then your best bet is a city like Houston.

Mid fourties is a little too high as your country's population. Another point would be that Television/Media in Canada is not very lucrative.

ShooterMcGavin*

Mid fourties is a little too high as your country's population. Another point would be that Television/Media in Canada is not very lucrative.

Either or I don't want 400 billion people in my country, look at dinkholes like India and China where they breed like rabbits. I'm fine with 30 million then I'd rather have 30 million people with jobs and who add to society then 300 million people, 30% of which are on welfair and that population doesn't even get into the immigrant problems your having. Aside from the fact I don't know what your getting at. There's 3 major sports stations in Canada, with great coverage on all four major sports. I can watch basically whatever I want. Canadian Media > American.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Either or I don't want 400 billion people in my country, look at dinkholes like India and China where they breed like rabbits. I'm fine with 30 million then I'd rather have 30 million people with jobs and who add to society then 300 million people, 30% of which are on welfair and that population doesn't even get into the immigrant problems your having. Aside from the fact I don't know what your getting at. There's 3 major sports stations in Canada, with great coverage on all four major sports. I can watch basically whatever I want. Canadian Media > American.
30% of the US population is on "welfair"? India and China are "dinkholes" where people overbreed? You might want to open a newspaper and maybe your mind some time. Between this ridiculous post and some of the ones in the minority thread, the bigotry around here is getting scary.

What in hell does this ill-informed garbage have to do with Houston?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

China's going through an economic boom... so I dunno, maybe you're just prejudice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->