A Canadien in Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BigMac1212 said:
Can someone tell me why Brett Hull is on Team USA when he was born in Ontario? :dunno:

No offense, but were you born under a rock? Brett Hull is an American citizen. His mother is from the U.S., and a long time ago Hull decided to lend his allegiance to the U.S. in international events. As a matter-of-fact, I don't even think he has his Canadian citizenship anymore.

Hitman*

Probably for the same reasons he was playing for the U.S. in 2002, 1998, 1996 etc. ect.

And for the same reasons that Dany Heatley and Robyn Regehr are allowed to play for Team Canada.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
BLONG7 said:
He was once cut from Team Canada by Dave King, he then vowed he would never play for Canada again... and he has kept his promise!

Not quite that harsh.
I believe he was cut by the Canadian team, then the US team offered him a spot and he took it. He then decided he would continue playing for the team that gave him a shot.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Chico Resch, born in (if I can read the card right) Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, served as Tom Barrasso’s backup on Team USA in the 1984 Canada Cup team.

Olaf Kolzig was born in South Africa to German parents. He grew up in Canada, but maintained a German passport which allows him to play for Germany in international competition.

KariyaIsGod*

MikeC44 said:
Not quite that harsh.
I believe he was cut by the Canadian team, then the US team offered him a spot and he took it. He then decided he would continue playing for the team that gave him a shot.

Yeah, pretty much.

I suppose he took the snooze you lose approach...

leafaholix*

He wasn't good enough to play for Canada earlier on in his hockey career... was cut, and the U.S. offered him a spot on their roster.

Left-overs.

;)

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Vyacheslav said:
If his mother is from the US how does that make him a traitor? Would he be an American traitor if he played for Canada?

Exactly.

That makes him an American citizen at birth, and the same goes for Deadmarsh. Both had American mothers.

If they were ONLY Canadian and had no affiliation with America, I doubt they would've played for team USA. Fact of the matter is, they both have affiliations with both countries, and shouldn't be considered traitors or "left overs," that's just sour grapes.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Hitman said:
And for the same reasons that Dany Heatley and Robyn Regehr are allowed to play for Team Canada.
Stop this nonsense about Heatley, he is 100 % Canadian. Both his parents are Canadian. He was only born in Germany because his father worked there. I doubt he has any blood connection in Germany. Olaf Kolzig on the other hand has German relatives. Heck, just look at his name; very German. There's nothing Germanic in Heatley.

As for Hull, he should be more Canadian than American, but since his mother is American, it's also fair that he suits for the USA. Personally, I'm glad that he's not with Team Canada. I never liked him and we have better players than him. Good ridence if you ask me.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canuck21t said:
Stop this nonsense about Heatley, he is 100 % Canadian. Both his parents are Canadian. He was only born in Germany because his father worked there. I doubt he has any blood connection in Germany. Olaf Kolzig on the other hand has German relatives. Heck, just look at his name; very German. There's nothing Germanic in Heatley.

As for Hull, he should be more Canadian than American, but since he's mother is American, it's also fair that he suits for the USA. Personally, I'm glad that he's not with Team Canada. I never liked him and we have better players than him. Good ridence if you ask me.

:nopity:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Hitman said:
Probably for the same reasons he was playing for the U.S. in 2002, 1998, 1996 etc. ect.

There's a difference. Hull tried out for Canada and was cut, he walked. Regehr & Heatley have played hockey all along in Canada.

If Hull originally played for the US, I would have no bones with it, but to turn your back on your country because you were not good enough is pretty sad if you ask me.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Canuck21t said:

As for Hull, he should be more Canadian than American, but since he's mother is American, it's also fair that he suits for the USA. Personally, I'm glad that he's not with Team Canada. I never liked him and we have better players than him. Good ridence if you ask me.

My feelings exactly. Like we've ever needed him.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
So what, my mother was born in Pennsylvania and I have lived in Canada all my life. If I were cut by team Canada and offered a spot with the US, I would say "I AM CANADIAN".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garfield said:
So what, my mother was born in Pennsylvania and I have lived in Canada all my life. If I were cut by team Canada and offered a spot with the US, I would say "I AM CANADIAN".

That doesn't change the fact that Brett Hull was an American citizen at birth and could decide, for whatever reason, to suit up for either nation in international events. People need to let this one go...............

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Just wondering guys but isn't John LeClair's father or mother Canadian? I believe so. I have no problem with him playing with the U.S. since he was born there.

Hitman*

Canuck21t said:

Heatley could have played for Germany if he wanted to, because he is German as well as Canadian.

And your last name doesn't mean anything. Olaf Kolzig could have changed his name to Oliviér Leblanc and that wouldn't have made him any less German.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Hitman said:
Heatley could have played for Germany if he wanted to, because he is German as well as Canadian.

And your last name doesn't mean anything. Olaf Kolzig could have changed his name to Oliviér Leblanc and that wouldn't have made him any less German.
Do we know for a fact that Heatley is German? Does he have German citizenship? Olaf's name means a lot. It means that he has German blood, both his parents are German but they now live in Canada. The only and single thing that retales Heatley to Germany is that he was born there and that's it. Keanu Reeves was born in Lebanon, does it make him Lebanese? Heck no. Hull's mother is American, so he has the right to play for the USA. I believe parentage is more important than the birthplace of a person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad