A Better Stride

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellarDoor

Nov 29, 2004
Buffalo
www.myspace.com
Since I've started playing hockey I've basically taught myself how to play and skate seeing that I'm the only one who really plays sports in my family. I've been to a couple of camps but none specifically for skating.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on power skating techinques or tips for quicker legs? Thanks!!

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
There are no set rules or guidlines for a skating stride.

Generally, if you have longer legs you will want to make a longer more powerful stride. If you have shorter legs you will want to make a shorter and quicker stride. Also try and work on getting as low as possible, this will help you generate more power when pushing off to make a stride.

Other than that, just keep skating, thats the only way to improve.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Speed Demon said:

Glantz's school teaches you to take these big strides using your arms to generate power. That's fine if you want to skate fast, but puts you in a horrible position to make a play or receive a pass. My coach told me to forget everything I learned from Glantz and keep two hands on the stick.

My advice for a better stride is to keep your knees bent and your body upright. Oh, and keep your head still. No bobbing up and down. Your head should stay at the same height at all times.

canadahockeygirl*

Icer said:
Glantz's school teaches you to take these big strides using your arms to generate power. That's fine if you want to skate fast, but puts you in a horrible position to make a play or receive a pass. My coach told me to forget everything I learned from Glantz and keep two hands on the stick.

My advice for a better stride is to keep your knees bent and your body upright. Oh, and keep your head still. No bobbing up and down. Your head should stay at the same height at all times.
He's pretty good. I've had him come do a clinic for my team... which didn't do me much good since I'm a goalie, but it was very entertaining to try all of the drills in full pads.

rowall

Dec 2, 2004
Kelowna
Never to late to enjoy the game. Bravo. Extension on your stride is what gives you power and balance. If you were to stand straight legged and move your right leg out to the side you will see that the width between your feet is minimal. Now stand straight, feet together, and bend your knees 45 degrees. Move your right leg out to the side. See the difference. That is your stride. Olympic speed skaters use this angle in order to get the best extension which translates into speed and power. It is difficult to play the game until you feel comfortable skating. When practicing your stride put your hands or hockey stick behind your back waist high and this will naturally help tp achieve the right posture for skating. As you move imagine you are creating a figure 8 with your foot movement. Your feet should almost touch at the beginning of each stride. As your skating improves and you skate with the stick in front of you you will straighten the upper body to adjust automatically. Just continue to skate with the 45 deg. angle until it becomes a part of muscle memory. I trust you will find this helpful. Goodluck and enjoy. Ronnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad