A and C on jerseys

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
humour me please, my son (who is a little on the spectrum) wants to know why the Alternate captains have the Atlanta Flames As on their jerseys but Giordano does not have the Atlanta C. I have to admit I didn’t even notice but he’s a details person. Anybody know? Or notice?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I also noticed that as a kid but don't have any idea why. I think the typesetting for the C is standard league-wide for whatever reason, but teams have more leeway with design for the A.

Sounds like you have a smart young'un.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I am not fully sure if I fully understand your question, but I'll try anyways.

The "Flaming A" was the actual crest on the Atlanta flames jersey. The Flames paid tribute to the previous organization by replacing the Alternate captain A with the Atlanta Flames crest. I have no idea what the rules are regarding this "font swap" for the A on the sweater, but the league hasn't disallowed it or anything. I do believe many fans are aware of the Flaming A and do think it's cool.

The Flaming C is a purely Calgary Flames crest. I don't think you're supposed to replace the captaincy C with an organization's crest. Otherwise, many other organization (ie: Canucks, Montreal etc.) would be able to swap it. However, I don't know the exact rules regarding this. I'm sure it's in probably in the NHL rulebook though.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
^also it would look dumb because there would be a much bigger one just below it

The A is real cool though

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Flaming C is a purely Calgary Flames crest. I don't think you're supposed to replace the captaincy C with an organization's crest.
It used to be a thing

fleury_66841.jpg

Who doesn't love the pedestal jerseys

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
humour me please, my son (who is a little on the spectrum) wants to know why the Alternate captains have the Atlanta Flames As on their jerseys but Giordano does not have the Atlanta C. I have to admit I didn’t even notice but he’s a details person. Anybody know? Or notice?
It is done as a way to pay respect to the team's history in Atlanta. For a while they tried using the C as well, back when Fleury was the captain, but it didn't look the greatest.

Reactions: Janks

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It used to be a thing

fleury_66841.jpg

Who doesn't love the pedestal jerseys

I saw this topic, and literally went to find this picture just to discover someone beat me to it. This is exactly why the Flames C logo isn't used for the captain logo. (if it's not the reason, it definitely should be).

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Might have looked decent on the flaming horse head jersey... anything would have made that thing look better.

Am I the only person who actually liked that logo? I think it'd look awesome on the same pattern the Flames used as their home jersey in 2004. Maybe I just have bad taste, lol. I also really liked the Heritage Classic jersey.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Might have looked decent on the flaming horse head jersey... anything would have made that thing look better.

I thought there's information out there that said it wasn't a horse, it was actually a dragon. However, the idea of a flaming horse head better fit our western motif.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Am I the only person who actually liked that logo? I think it'd look awesome on the same pattern the Flames used as their home jersey in 2004. Maybe I just have bad taste, lol. I also really liked the Heritage Classic jersey.
I really like them as well. I think it'd be cool if they brought em back. Tbh, I'm a fan of every Calgary jersey so far, except for that alternate from 13-16, the one that had 'Calgary' on it lol.

But yeah the Flaming C as the captain C doesn't look so hot. The Atlanta A for the assistant A looks pretty nifty tho

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder if we'll shake it up and have a new third jersey instead of the retro for next year. We should also bring back the horsehead for one game

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's showing 4 years, 2009-2013. They also used a retro jersey in the 2016-2017 season, but it was slightly different.

Oh wow, you're right. I had no idea they were different jerseys. I thought the one they used most recently was the same as the old retro, like they just dug up old stock and wore it haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad