Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Popugaev.jpeg

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Like the pick. Big player that is a right shot and put up good numbers at OHL. Concerns are there but its a 4th round pick.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
not a fan. he fell hard and has lazy concerns. i hope he proves everyone wrong

guy has incredible talent and was projected to be a fringe 1st/2nd round pick a few months ago. it's not gonna get much better in the 4th round

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We got Popugayev!?!?! Awesome! Love this pick. Go back and watch Nico's highlight breakaway goal from the Top Prospects game - Notice that he received an absolutely phenomenal 50 foot saucer pass to get the breakaway - that was Popugayev. :yo:

On a side note his name means "the Parrot". If he ever makes it, I hope he wears #38, but only fans of old Soviet-era cartoons would get it.:laugh:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
From user Caser:

Popugaev is really big, got good hands, is pretty mobile and with a heavy shot —I guess I don't need to comment about the value anymore here, as top-six potential is definitely there. There have been quite some discussion about his skating and to my eye it is far from perfect in terms of the stride, but is very good in terms of edgework, which makes him pretty mobile and agile on smaller distances. And again, it's good to remember that we are discussing skating of someone, who is over 6'5". Another issue with him is that he doesn't use his size enough (possibly needs to gain some upper body muscle strength) and seems to be not the hardest working guy and overall there is an impression that his attitude is a bit immature. While that description of his attitude would make him a classical boom-or-bust, I'd like to remind that he is a hockey player's son and those kind of fathers usually take care of attitude issues pretty well.
There was a rumor that Popugaev might leave WHL for Russia this summer, but I think his future will fully depend on the agreement with the team that will draft him.

He had him ranked 2nd for Russian prospects in the whole draft.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Guy is playing in a foreign country and is in a really good rhythm. Suddenly he's traded from the only team/town he knows and hits a funk. Labelled lazy?

I might be simplifying things, but it seems kinda normal.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
High upside pick again! He was projected to go mid to early first in the beginning of the year. Apparently he requested a trade and some question his personality. He started not playing so hot after the trade. Great value pick. He has the potential to be better than Ratcliffe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad