Player Discussion #93 - Sam Bennett

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Thats such an HFOil thing to say, they too believe their Corsi Gods are just unlucky.

It's nothing to do with advanced stats. When did I say anything about that? When you see a guy (or guys) getting high-quality scoring chances game after game, you know that eventually those chances will start going in. And with the way hockey seems to work, a bunch of them will probably go in all at once, then none for a while, then a bunch, etc. And these guys will probably end up in the 30 point range at the end of the year.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Bax is starting to attend the OKG school of player judgment.

Janko has actually been mediocre. Last night was his worse game IMO- looked very uncertain. He hasn't had near the opportunity to adjust to the big league as Bennett has had, which is why people aren't jumping on him yet.

Bennett has had two full seasons to show improvement, and he's somehow gotten worse. He's been played in all different scenarios, with every different line on the team (Actually I don't think he's lined up with Monahan yet...)
He was only "good" when playing with Johnny (so is everyone on the team) and Backlund. Time to put him back on Backlunds wing and hope he turns it around. Otherwise I think it's close to waving time (unless we can salvage a trade!)

I agree that S.Reinhart has shown more so far at this level, but I would be willing to discuss a small add to bennett to get him out of buffalo. This should appease all crowds- we're not losing out on any "potential" and we still get someone who is objectively far more productive than Sammy boy.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Bax is starting to attend the OKG school of player judgment.

Janko has actually been mediocre. Last night was his worse game IMO- looked very uncertain. He hasn't had near the opportunity to adjust to the big league as Bennett has had, which is why people aren't jumping on him yet.

Bennett has had two full seasons to show improvement, and he's somehow gotten worse. He's been played in all different scenarios, with every different line on the team (Actually I don't think he's lined up with Monahan yet...)
He was only "good" when playing with Johnny (so is everyone on the team) and Backlund. Time to put him back on Backlunds wing and hope he turns it around. Otherwise I think it's close to waving time (unless we can salvage a trade!)

I agree that S.Reinhart has shown more so far at this level, but I would be willing to discuss a small add to bennett to get him out of buffalo. This should appease all crowds- we're not losing out on any "potential" and we still get someone who is objectively far more productive than Sammy boy.

I agree with S. Reinhart for S. Bennett, I think both players need a change of scenery and neither team would lose out on potential.

To Buffalo:
Sam Bennett
Kulak

To Calgary:
Sam Reinhart
5th round pick

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I agree with S. Reinhart for S. Bennett, I think both players need a change of scenery and neither team would lose out on potential.

To Buffalo:
Sam Bennett
Kulak

To Calgary:
Sam Reinhart
5th round pick
Sabres fans aren't going to want anything to do with a Bennett for Reinhart swap. Bennett has around Lazar level value likely a little higher because his upside is much better.

Reinhart despite an awful start to the season has been pretty much been a 2nd line winger the last two years while still having that high draft pedigree.

Also I like Kulak and seeing as he likely has no trade value we should keep him and play him over Bart.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Bennett has what in gaming is tantamount to holding your W key aggressively until one of your stupid decisions overrides all of your skill and training (and in game situations he seemingly has a hard time putting what he's practiced to use). If nobody can give the kid some patience and poise he's going to continue to flounder imo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it an agreement situation? My impression is that that was only available post IR
Even after an injury it is based on consent. Players have been put on conditioning stints when they have been sitting in the pressbox and not playing.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Is it an agreement situation? My impression is that that was only available post IR

That was my understanding as well, and the only rules I can find via google and not digging into the rules themselves are from the prior lockout and include verbiage for re-entry waivers. However, assuming it remained unchanged otherwise it looks like the two sides just have to agree.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
For all the vitrol Bennett gets, where's Janko criticism? How is he helping the team win? Dont forget he's older than Sam as well. All his "beasting" in the AHL has translated into a big fat 0.
I've been bearish on the Jankowski pick from day one, so I'm not defending him with bias. The reason he's not getting the same flak as Bennett is that a) he hasn't played 15 NHL games without a point, and b) he was doing a much better job managing the puck than Bennett was as a centre.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm glad Bennett got a point and maybe has some of the pressure off of him. But let's call a spade a spade, that was a cheap assist and is a perfect example of why some people don't take 2nd assists as seriously as primary ones. IMO assists should be awarded to the last two players to touch the puck prior to the goal scorer, if the goal scorer was one of those players, there should only be one assist awarded. But hopefully he can take this and run with it.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm glad Bennett got a point and maybe has some of the pressure off of him. But let's call a spade a spade, that was a cheap assist and is a perfect example of why some people don't take 2nd assists as seriously as primary ones. IMO assists should be awarded to the last two players to touch the puck prior to the goal scorer, if the goal scorer was one of those players, there should only be one assist awarded. But hopefully he can take this and run with it.

Sure, but that's the mantra that coaches always tell players, hoping that it can pay off and lead to more success: just keep doing the right things and the points will come. Bennett only gets himself into trouble if he thinks breaking out of his slump means making a goal happen individually. This play was a perfect example of what you want him doing. He doesn't cheat, he commits to a battle on the boards, makes a nifty play (not an easy play) and gets the rush started. That kind of assist is what can take the pressure off and make it easier to keep making the right play, because it reinforces the right message.

At the end of the day, the top scorers in the league get a lot of secondary assists like this, because it's all related. If you make the right plays, your team will end up in good situations. Sometimes it will be you in the situation, and sometimes it will be others.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure, but that's the mantra that coaches always tell players, hoping that it can pay off and lead to more success: just keep doing the right things and the points will come. Bennett only gets himself into trouble if he thinks breaking out of his slump means making a goal happen individually. This play was a perfect example of what you want him doing. He doesn't cheat, he commits to a battle on the boards, makes a nifty play (not an easy play) and gets the rush started. That kind of assist is what can take the pressure off and make it easier to keep making the right play, because it reinforces the right message.

At the end of the day, the top scorers in the league get a lot of secondary assists like this, because it's all related. If you make the right plays, your team will end up in good situations. Sometimes it will be you in the situation, and sometimes it will be others.
Definitely and I wasn't knocking Bennett in the slightest, I just dislike how score keeping in the NHL works. I hope he can take this fortune and run with it.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
All this Bennett struggling talk is getting overblown at this point in time. This is a veteran team that is expected to finish top 3 in the division and not be fighting it out for a wildcard position. How Bennett fits into the team success this season is the important part; not his personal stat line. I get there's a correlation there but he's still young and once a few more vets move on next season or two I think he will get more points. I also think he might get packaged with one of our top four Dmen at some point between end of this season and start of 2019-20 season as Valimaki, Fox and Andersson make one of the two Hams, Gio or Brodie expendable.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
All this Bennett struggling talk is getting overblown at this point in time. This is a veteran team that is expected to finish top 3 in the division and not be fighting it out for a wildcard position. How Bennett fits into the team success this season is the important part; not his personal stat line. .

I guess you forgot that Bennett was a top lottery pick. The expectation is different

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
so do we need to wait 20 games for another point?
It can't just be bad luck

Where is the 18 yrs old Sam bennett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad