GDT: 9/27 Sharks @ Ducks 7pm

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Just got back from the game. Very exciting game! Felt like the Sharks were in the offensive zone for the vast majority of the game. Romanov looked gigantic and extremely flexible while making some nice saves, but I felt like the goaltending on both sides was the difference between a win a loss tonight.

Does anyone know what happen to the Shark that got hit in the face with the puck early in the game. Up close it d not look great, but didn't catch his number. Just hope he is ok.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Just got back from the game. Very exciting game! Felt like the Sharks were in the offensive zone for the vast majority of the game. Romanov looked gigantic and extremely flexible while making some nice saves, but I felt like the goaltending on both sides was the difference between a win a loss tonight.

Does anyone know what happen to the Shark that got hit in the face with the puck early in the game. Up close it d not look great, but didn't catch his number. Just hope he is ok.
It was Raska. He played the rest of the game so I'd imagine he's ok.

Reactions: Sandisfan

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Givani Smith was really the only play that really stood out for me tonight. Bordeleau made a few good moves in the o-zone, but didn't lead to much.
thrun continues to look pretty good. he makes stuff happen. bailey was noticeable considering where he was playing in the lineup.

I'll give you Lindblom but it's absolutely not debatable whether Vlasic, Ferraro and Labanc are NHLers.
Harsh it's at least debatable, I wouldn't say they are definitely not yet.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Harsh it's at least debatable, I wouldn't say they are definitely not yet.
I just don't see any valid argument that Vlasic, Ferraro and Labanc aren't NHL players. Set their contracts aside and they would make just about every roster in the league.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I just don't see any valid argument that Vlasic, Ferraro and Labanc aren't NHL players. Set their contracts aside and they would make just about every roster in the league.
Vlasic and Ferraro agreed. They aren’t great but you got guys on some teams bottom pairs that are also not great. I think they’d be in that gigantic group of bottom pairing, 7D that get bounced around the league like candy.

Labanc I’m not sure about. He’s such a situational guy. His skating isn’t very good. His defense isn’t very good. His physicality isn’t very good. He kind of reminds me of Drouin. He needs to be in an offensive role otherwise he’s useless. Now I will say that Labanc does have NHL skill. It’s just everything else that is replacement level in the NHL.

This post is more a comment on the spot on roster rather than the NHL level idea.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
MGGM has brought in 2 high ceiling defenseman. They could play for a long time, I’m guessing. Grier deserves a bunch of cheers for bringing Thrun and Mukhamadullin to team teal.
All the credit goes to MG, that's true. He has done a very good job of rebuild the d-core with Thrun, Mukhamadullin and Cagnoni and has drafted some very nice forwards in Bystedt, Smith and Musty. Hopefully he can either draft a bonafide #1 center/star player or #1 defencemen (RD) to accompany the young LD's in Thrun and Mukh.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
All the credit goes to MG, that's true. He has done a very good job of rebuild the d-core with Thrun, Mukhamadullin and Cagnoni and has drafted some very nice forwards in Bystedt, Smith and Musty. Hopefully he can either draft a bonafide #1 center/star player or #1 defencemen (RD) to accompany the young LD's in Thrun and Mukh.
It’s preseason might want to pump the brakes, it’s easy to look impressive against AHL, over aged JR’s and PTO players.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It’s preseason might want to pump the brakes, it’s easy to look impressive against AHL, over aged JR’s and PTO players.
Hey, what do we have anymore except hope and maybe hasty optimism?!

But just to look at these guys, you mentioned the Thrun/Braun comparison yourself, and that's always struck me with their play styles predicated on smarts over natural talent (funny enough, I remember Braun got some PP time after his initial call-up and looked really competent in that role, much like Thrun is looking right now in preseason).

As for the others, I haven't seen any crazy talk, really, at least not on here. Muk has shown that he has size and tools that are hard to come by and I think, if nothing else, is proving that he was underrated in the Timo Trade primarily because info on him was hard to come by.

And as for the others, it seems like the consensus has been that Bystedt might be tapping into a 2C possibility but that would still require some upward development (reasonable), that Musty was underrated in the draft because he had mono during his draft year (reasonable because I made that argument myself!), and Smith is a tremendously skilled badass so we should definitely be excited about having a player like that in our system now.

Oh and Cagnoni got praise heaped on him by the head coach himself, so talk to Quinnie if you've got a problem there, lol.

Reactions: Cookersjs

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Hey, what do we have anymore except hope and maybe hasty optimism?!

But just to look at these guys, you mentioned the Thrun/Braun comparison yourself, and that's always struck me with their play styles predicated on smarts over natural talent (funny enough, I remember Braun got some PP time after his initial call-up and looked really competent in that role, much like Thrun is looking right now in preseason).

As for the others, I haven't seen any crazy talk, really, at least not on here. Muk has shown that he has size and tools that are hard to come by and I think, if nothing else, is proving that he was underrated in the Timo Trade primarily because info on him was hard to come by.

And as for the others, it seems like the consensus has been that Bystedt might be tapping into a 2C possibility but that would still require some upward development (reasonable), that Musty was underrated in the draft because he had mono during his draft year (reasonable because I made that argument myself!), and Smith is a tremendously skilled badass so we should definitely be excited about having a player like that in our system now.

Oh and Cagnoni got praise heaped on him by the head coach himself, so talk to Quinnie if you've got a problem there, lol.
Good points.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Why do we constantly praise people for this stuff before any of these guys actually produce at the NHL level? So far it looks like he may have done a good job but let's maybe wait to see what they do in real games.

It's fine to be optimistic but I can share a laundry list of prospects people were like "wow so and so really rebuilt the pool the last year or two" that all turned into nothing.

Stuff like "rebuild the D-core" has always been wild to me, especially based on like 2 preseason games.

Reactions: Used As A Shield

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Why do we constantly praise people for this stuff before any of these guys actually produce at the NHL level? So far it looks like he may have done a good job but let's maybe wait to see what they do in real games.

It's fine to be optimistic but I can share a laundry list of prospects people were like "wow so and so really rebuilt the pool the last year or two" that all turned into nothing.

Stuff like "rebuild the D-core" has always been wild to me, especially based on like 2 preseason games.
I mean yeah there is no real guarantee it will work out, but I feel like there is a lot more good signs with this new group than with the previous regime.

Firstly MG saw that this teams future in defence was atrocious, so with only one year he has already gotten a bunch potential young defencemen without losing a lot (except maybe Meier trade, but that trade was always unfortunately bound to be a win for the team that got Meier).

Thrun, Mukhamadullin, Cagnoni, Hävelid, Gawanke, maybe even Furlong in one year come first to mind that all have 2nd pair/3rd pair potential and that's with drafting forward heavy in Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Halttunen and Lund in first and second round.

Yeah, I get that I'm super optimistic but I like how Thrun and Mukhamadullin have played the game so far. And that's why I also mentioned we still need to draft our #1 defencemen, so it's not like we are ready with this group even though I'm hyping them.

Reactions: Cookersjs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad