GDT: 9/24/17 - 4:00PM EDT - Florida VS Tampa Bay [Preseason Game 4]

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Definitely think Volkov has been the best of the forward prospects (not even including the goal). Howden has been decent but I'd imagine he'll get sent back to Moose Jaw pretty soon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Definitely think Volkov has been the best of the forward prospects (not even including the goal). Howden has been decent but I'd imagine he'll get sent back to Moose Jaw pretty soon.

I'm guessing both get sent down, along with several others. Gotta start icing something closer to an NHL lineup soon.

Great showing for Volkov though. Al Murray strikes again, it seems.

EDIT: Er, wait, is Volkov eligible for Syracuse?

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Erne looks complacent.

Koekkoek looks like a guy who's too timid to put his tools to use.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm guessing both get sent down, along with several others. Gotta start icing something closer to an NHL lineup soon.

Great showing for Volkov though. Al Murray strikes again, it seems.

EDIT: Er, wait, is Volkov eligible for Syracuse?

He is. He's 20 already and would've been eligible anyway because he wasn't drafted to CHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Great showing by Volkov. He looks like an NHLer. Him and Stephens were the standouts for me.

Lesser standouts were Peca and Joseph. Sergachev made some plays in the 1st and 2nd, not so much in the 3rd.

Erne looked complacent.

Koekkoek... I don't even know what to think. Second best skater in the organization, but he can't clear a puck, or dump a puck in, and even some of his passes looked dangerously soft.

Killorn just looked like Killorn.

But yeah, this one was all about Volkov. He had a lot of confidence in the 3rd.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
23:46 for Sergachev. They've given him 20+ minutes of ice time in all 3 games.

They've given him the oppertunity to shine, I think he gets sent back.

Man Volkov actually fills a hole for us right now, scoring RW on Palat/Johnson's line...

Names-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Volkov
Killorn-Point-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan
Peca/Erne/Dumont

Send Serge down and KK to the A, the forwards have been much better this pre-season I'd rather carry more of them for a longer look.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Man Volkov actually fills a hole for us right now, scoring RW on Palat/Johnson's line...

Names-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Volkov
Killorn-Point-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan
Peca/Erne/Dumont

Send Serge down and KK to the A, the forwards have been much better this pre-season I'd rather carry more of them for a longer look.

Volkov has looked good so far but he's not ready for a top 6 role just yet. He hasn't shown that kind of scoring ability before. Koekkoek would have to pass through waivers and I could see a team like Colorado taking a chance on him. How do you plan on getting a longer look at the forwards if they're gonna be healthy scratches? It's better they tear up the A and force us to call them up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Names-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Volkov
Killorn-Point-Gourde
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan
Peca/Erne/Dumont

We have a lot more flexibility with the forwards though. We can recall them easily. And KK needs waivers.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
23:46 for Sergachev. They've given him 20+ minutes of ice time in all 3 games.

What’s even more interesting is that they paired him with Coburn and Sergachev was on the right side. You can sort of tell, as he has said, that he prefers the right side. Add another interesting bit that Dotchin is the only Dman besides an injured Stralman who hasn’t played a game yet. Hedman has two games already and Dotchin has none? What’s up with that?
I’d say if someone is going to get moved it would be a RHD because the right side AHL injury callups (Thomas/Cernak/McBain) look better than the AHL LHD injury callups (Bodie/Masin/Wacott) and Coburn and Sergachev are lefties who can play the right side whereas there are no righties who can play the left side.
Maybe it’s Sustr that gets moved, or Dotchin. Or maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Sergachev's in such a weird spot. He looked solid tonight on the right side, and I don't think he'd be an outright liability if paired with a veteran in Tampa, but he still doesn't quite seem ready. Even so, something about the way he plays has me concerned that a stint in Syracuse would probably polish him as a defender while dulling his game/instincts in a way that would undermine his overall potential. Not sure why I get that feeling.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Sergachev's in such a weird spot. He looked solid tonight on the right side, and I don't think he'd be an outright liability if paired with a veteran in Tampa, but he still doesn't quite seem ready. Even so, something about the way he plays has me concerned that a stint in Syracuse would probably polish him as a defender while dulling his game/instincts in a way that would undermine his overall potential. Not sure why I get that feeling.

He can’t go to Syracuse because he’s only 19 and was drafted out of the CHL (it’s a CHL rule). Anyone remember Hedman at 19? Not any better than Sergachev at this stage, in fact people even used the “bust†word. The question is would it be better for Sergachev’s development to keep him in the NHL and live with his growing pains, or send him back to juniors where you risk a motivation/attitude problem and the development of bad habits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad