GDT: 82|Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators|The Grandest Stage of Them All!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh-Penguins-Vs-Ottawa-Senators.jpg

SENATORS (28-41-11) at PENGUINS (46-29-6)
7:30 p.m. ET; ATTSN-PT, RDS, TSN5, NHL.TV

The Game

The Pittsburgh Penguins can secure home-ice advantage for the Eastern Conference First Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a win or a loss in overtime or a shootout against the Ottawa Senators in their regular-season finale at PPG Paints Arena on Friday.

After defeating the Columbus Blue Jackets 5-4 in a shootout Thursday, Pittsburgh is second in the Metropolitan Division. It is one point ahead of Columbus and the New Jersey Devils, who each have one game remaining.

The Penguins, who have won four of six (4-2-0), have five more regulation/overtime wins than the Blue Jackets and Devils.

Ottawa will play its penultimate game of the season before finishing against the Boston Bruins on Saturday. It has lost eight of its past 10 games (2-8-0) and will look for two straight wins for the first time since a three-game winning streak from March 12-16.

The Penguins have won each of their two previous games against the Senators this season by a combined score of 9-4, including a 6-3 home win on Feb. 13.

Senators at Penguins preview

Senators projected lineup

Mike Hoffman -- Matt Duchene -- Colin White
Alexandre Burrows -- Jean-Gabriel Pageau -- Bobby Ryan
Magnus Paajarvi -- Zack Smith -- Tom Pyatt
Max McCormick -- Filip Chlapik -- Ryan Dzingel

Mark Borowiecki -- Thomas Chabot
Fredrik Claesson -- Cody Ceci
Ben Harpur -- Christian Wolanin

Craig Anderson
Daniel Taylor

Scratched: Erik Karlsson
Injured: Mark Stone (leg), Mike Condon (concussion), Chris Wideman (hamstring), Marian Gaborik (back)

Penguins projected lineup

Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Bryan Rust
Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Patric Hornqvist
Conor Sheary -- Riley Sheahan -- Phil Kessel
Zach Aston-Reese -- Josh Jooris -- Tom Kuhnhackl

Brian Dumoulin -- Kris Letang
Olli Maatta -- Justin Schultz
Matt Hunwick -- Jamie Oleksiak

Matt Murray
Casey DeSmith

Scratched: Chad Ruhwedel, Dominik Simon
Injured: Derick Brassard (lower body), Carter Rowney (upper body)

Oh.. it's Wrestlemania weekend!!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I'm just glad we're not playing a playoff team; less inclination to try to injure.
True but sometimes these teams play loose as they have nothing to lose. We can't take this game for granted.

Although, they got a good number of key injuries.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Oh please be starting Murray. I really need him going tonight for me on my team. Also, he’s just now starting to get in a rhythm before the playoffs, he needs to keep that going. He had a month off...he’ll have a few days to rest before the first round starts. START HIM!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm surprised we didn't sit someone like Sid or Geno and call up someone from WBS. Still, win and get to 100.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm surprised we didn't sit someone like Sid or Geno and call up someone from WBS. Still, win and get to 100.

I'd be in favor of starting DeSmith. Sure, you want to secure 2nd in the Metro, but a half decent effort against a depleted Ottawa squad with DeSmith in nets should get the job done.

I have visions of that meaningless Flyers game a couple of years ago where Murray got hurt, forcing us to go with Jeff Zatkoff for the first couple of playoff games. Obviously worked out in the end, but that was tempting fate.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I'd be in favor of starting DeSmith. Sure, you want to secure 2nd in the Metro, but a half decent effort against a depleted Ottawa squad with DeSmith in nets should get the job done.

I have visions of that meaningless Flyers game a couple of years ago where Murray got hurt, forcing us to go with Jeff Zatkoff for the first couple of playoff games. Obviously worked out in the end, but that was tempting fate.
Murray could get injured in game 1 of the first round. Or not. You have to start him in a game of this significance. This isn’t a meaningless game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Murray could get injured in game 1 of the first round. Or not. You have to start him in a game of this significance. This isn’t a meaningless game.

It's not meaningless to the point you scratch half your roster and dress team WBS, but it's meaningless to the point where you should be able to still win with your backup goalie and not risk having your #1 miss playoff time.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
It's not meaningless to the point you scratch half your roster and dress team WBS, but it's meaningless to the point where you should be able to still win with your backup goalie and not risk having your #1 miss playoff time.
Anything can happen in one game of hockey. The Senators were one goal away from eliminating us last year. You have to go with your best guys- especially in net.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep, You go with your best. If we had the 2hd seed wrapped up then sure, no big deal. But considering home ice is on the line, you put your best out there. This only makes sense if MM has a nagging injury or something.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Not really. Still need our backup to be sharp. Just in case. We had the luxury of having both Murray and Fleury the last two years.

Desmith has a solid game tonight and that gives him some more confidence heading into the playoffs. We already played Murray on the last set of back to backs. Played last night. If he started again tonight, that kinda shows they dont have much faith in DeSmith.

Its less about resting Murray, and showing some confidence in our backup and letting him get another game in before the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad