80% say "yes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I don't know how seriously you guys take on-line polls. But on Sportsnet today, when asked "Would you watch replacement players", a whopping unexpected 80% said they would happily.

I don't understand enough about the buisness of the NHL but I wonder why the NHL wouldn't consider this.

YellHockey*

Canadian_man said:
I don't know how seriously you guys take on-line polls. But on Sportsnet today, when asked "wWould you watch replacement players", and unexpected 80% said they would happily.

I don't understand enough about the buisness of the NHL but I wonder why the NHL wouldn't consider this.

Because the people with the money to buy tickets aren't wasting their days replying to some silly Sportsnet poll.

I'm a season ticket holder and I'd rather watch spelling bees or cheerleading competitions then pay money to watch scabs.

two out of three*

JWI19 said:
A lot of people tuned into the XFL for the 1st couple weeks, then once they realized the product was not the same as the real players of the NFL they quickly stop watching.

I think thats probably because the NFL was already a superior league, and it had a lot of goofy rules. Like any name you want on the back of the jersey, cheerleaders & players getting together was encouraged. People started to realize that it was kind of a joke. I don't think it was necessarily because of the players people stopped watching.

Everybody loved He Hate Me right?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
BlackRedGold said:
Because the people with the money to buy tickets aren't wasting their days replying to some silly Sportsnet poll.

I'm a season ticket holder and I'd rather watch spelling bees or cheerleading competitions then pay money to watch scabs.

I think I'll stick with poker tourneys rather than watching crap like replacement players

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Canadian_man said:
I don't know how seriously you guys take on-line polls. But on Sportsnet today, when asked "Would you watch replacement players", a whopping unexpected 80% said they would happily.

that number wouldn't even be close if it was in the U.S.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Canadian_man said:

But does the poll say for how long? Or would they pay slightly reduced NHL prices to watch the games? I can't see the owners seriously considering using replacement players. I would watch as many replacement games as I would AHL games. I live in Toronto and I didn't even know that the Baby Leafs played Bingo last night.

FYI, attendance at the ACC last night was 9,424. If Toronto gets that, what would Carolina get? I'm not sure how much tickets were, but you can bet you wouldn't be increasing attendance by charging more just because the logo on the front of the jerseys were different.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
If they started playing replacement players, I would become a season ticket holder... even though I don't live in the city of my hometown team.

I think its a great way for fans to show their support to competitive hockey. If they played scabs, sure most of the talent is going to be absent, but I can be sure that the Oilers, Pens and Habs would have a shot at the Cup. And I guarantee that many younger NHL superstars would filter back.

It may be the last time we see guys like Pronger, Forsberg, Naslund and Linden... guys who've made their money and are able to hold out. But I'm sure the Hossas, Havlats, Nashes, Zherdevs of the game are not going to be content with their $400k in Europe. I'd bet older guys like Messier, Hull and Stevens would come back too.

It seems to me, the players that never played a game in the 80s are the ones that don't seem to think anything's wrong.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Canadian_man said:

It's easy to answer "yes" when you have no money riding on it. I watched The Glutton Bowl on FOX this Thanksgiving, doesn't mean I'd pay one cent more than my normal cable bill for it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I would NEVER pay, I think id rather watch it on TV. I would say ticket prices would be cut in half...so that would be about 120 bucks a game (2 tickets) and i would not pay that sort of money a game to watch an AHL game with the NHL tag on it. I can get 2nd row AHL tickets for 40 bucks (2 tickets) so im not going to spend 120 on seats 20 rows up and no where NEAR exciting as the NHL. Plus part of the excitent is KNOWING the players like i do in the NHL...i know about 3% of the players in the AHL.

But lets not forget the POLL said would you WATCH them(meaning on TV or Live)..so i would expect that many people to vote yes...it doesnt say would you pay MONEY to watch them....

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I would support having replacement players but i will not watch one second of it. Its not really the NHL without the best. Do not take this as NHLPA support because it is not.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I think the reason why people turned away from the XFL is for the fact that its not the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't mind replacement players because, sure their not the most top of the line players, but it's still NHL hockey.

Who knows really.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
I would NEVER pay, I think id rather watch it on TV.

But lets not forget the POLL said would you WATCH them(meaning on TV or Live)..so i would expect that many people to vote yes...it doesnt say would you pay MONEY to watch them....
Well then, you'd support them.

TV is free to you, but it puts money in the owners pockets (eventually). Maybe advertisers will take note of polls like Sportsnet's.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I would support having replacement players but i will not watch one second of it. Its not really the NHL without the best. Do not take this as NHLPA support because it is not.

You will support it..but wont watch it? If your not watching it your not supporting it. :lol

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
MrMackey said:
Well then, you'd support them.

TV is free to you, but it puts money in the owners pockets (eventually). Maybe advertisers will take note of polls like Sportsnet's.

Yes ill support it...Im a true ranger fan...its not the faces its the jersey...i wont LIKE it anywhere near as much as if they were the REAL NHL players in there but i will still watch every game (TV)..but not spend any money from my pocket to go to a game. That saids a lot since i go to around 50 games a season including away games at Devils and Isles.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If replacement players are used - and I said if, don't count on seeing top prospects. You are going to see players who have been out of the league thinking that they have one last chance to impress ownership and you are going to see career minor leaguers who want to tell their grandchildren that they played in the NHL. No top prospect or young player with a chance of ever making the league (or thinking that they could ever make the league) is going to play. First off, everyone knows that the regulars are coming back some day. Do you, as a young player, want to be known in the locker room as one of the "scabs" that broke the strike? Do you want to be that young player that gets his head taken off by a boarderline check by every goon in the league? Do you want to be fighting every team's heavyweight every night? And when it happens, your teammates are going to turn their backs and allow it to happen. Do you want to be the player that no one will talk to on road trips?

The only league that ever won with replacement players was the NFL. Why? Because they used players that were never going to have to play with or against the regular players. When baseball used replacement players for spring training, they ended up with old farts that were out of the game and career minor league players.

If you see replacement players it won't be nearly the level you think it will be. Take it from someone who actually saw an NFL replacement player game and had spring training season tickets the year that baseball used replacement players.

It ain't a pretty sight.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Donnie D said:
If you see replacement players it won't be nearly the level you think it will be. Take it from someone who actually saw an NFL replacement player game and had spring training season tickets the year that baseball used replacement players.

It ain't a pretty sight.
Just to be clear... I realize what you're saying and still would pay for season's tickets.

The top players will not come back unless they can see that fans will support the team, not the players. If I ever felt that the players were getting shafted, I wouldn't pay to see any games.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

I'd watch it for the same price as an ahl game or on tv mainly because the only hockey we have here is junior B and our team sucks. Being a sens fan i just like going to the corel centre to watch hockey. i wouldnt pay 50 bucks but i would pay $10-25 to watch ahl level talent.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
MrMackey said:
Just to be clear... I realize what you're saying and still would pay for season's tickets.

The top players will not come back unless they can see that fans will support the team, not the players. If I ever felt that the players were getting shafted, I wouldn't pay to see any games.

You would apy for seasons tickets out of spite. To send a message. I can understand this, and its a fair statement, but it wont lead anywhere. Owners are not going to be making the money they need to cover all the expenses at those prices. Franchise values will devalue. Players still wont come back. It will take several years.

In the meantime, i can undestand it being fun at first to watch some team of non-nhl'ers play in our jersey. But what happens if by december your team is in last place? Will you get the latest castoff from Ak bars to be your deadline missing piece? It wont be the same. The players will be all new. Attendance will surely suffer greatly. I think after a short time, you will be very sick of sending this message that isnt working. You'll be waiting for them to come back.

It doesnt really make sense that the owners would resort to replacement players. It wont cause players to cross. Owners dont make any money. They dont enhance the league. It would be such transparent vinditiveness. They dont need to, they lose money either way. It makes more sense they just continue the lockout. No hockey. Its no less effective to achieve their goals.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
You will support it..but wont watch it? If your not watching it your not supporting it. :lol
As i said last night i hope you would be here to entertain all week and you are. I would support the notion, yes the notion of having replacement players to further weaken the NHLPA's position. I did not ever say i would watch players from the ECHL, AHL, Del, etc play in a Leaf uniform for example. So to i degree you are correct i am not fully supporting the product just the idea of it.

I.am.ca

BlackRedGold said:

I'm a season ticket holder and i voted yes for replacement players...so yes i would rather see guys that want to play the sport not ***** about money.

I.am.ca

People are aware that the "scabs" are more on the tough side for players, the type of game that these guys would bring would let us hockey fans appreciate the game more.

Guys that will hit any player, drop the gloves more often for a position and well i'd rather see these guys play because they won't float around like princesses and whine about icetime, they will take the 6mins if they get it and work harder to earn more icetime. None of that Jagr walking out during a game crap or a superstar floating around, we'd get to see guys that love the sport play and play hard.

I'm all for the replacement players, i think they will help the stars realize that look these guys are playing because they love the game, what the heck are we doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad