Prospect Info: #75OA - G Jack LaFontaine - U of Minnesota - signed 1/9/22

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
was reading scouting stuff on him a few weeks ago and remember liking what I read. I would've figured him to go even a little earlier.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Notre Dame was removed from the tournament on 3/25 and Steeves signed 3/28 with Toronto.
Boston U lost to St. Cloud Saturday and Farrance signed 3/28 with Nashville.

I would think if he signs with Carolina, it's likely within a few days time.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
How much interest is there in LaFontaine and is there a possibility he would wait to sign in August - when he would be a free agent?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How much interest is there in LaFontaine and is there a possibility he would wait to sign in August - when he would be a free agent?
He is a Richter Award finalist, so he may wait until that is announced if he is looking/needs leverage in any contract negotiations. The Richter Award will be announced during the Frozen Four which is taking place April 8th through the 10th (I don't know when the award is announced during that time frame, probably before the final game would be my guess).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He is a Richter Award finalist, so he may wait until that is announced if he is looking/needs leverage in any contract negotiations. The Richter Award will be announced during the Frozen Four which is taking place April 8th through the 10th (I don't know when the award is announced during that time frame, probably before the final game would be my guess).

How much leverage can he have (not questioning you, I just don't know what is/is not possible)? @Lempo (or others), what does the CBA allow for these guys?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
How much leverage can he have (not questioning you, I just don't know what is/is not possible)? @Lempo (or others), what does the CBA allow for these guys?

If LaFontaine can be a UFA in a few months then the leverage would only have to be exposure-based.

"My client just won the Richter and we expect many calls so hows about you give us the Jeremy Welsh treatment" (only more because that was like $100k incentive).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Our team doesn't have to offer him a max ELC, or a bigger signing bonus, or time on the big squad to burn a year. He may use his award status as leverage to get those things with the threat that he could turn his award into demand as a college UFA in August.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->