Prospect Info: #71, Kasper Kotkansalo

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
From what I've seen prior to this season, he's a really solid D who can make smart and simple offensive plays. I think he's worth the pick, though I would have liked to see more skill in our draft and not such a obsession with size.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The claim from Tyler Wright on this guy is that they think he's a good puckmover with untapped offense. He made a comparison to Saarijarvi, saying both guys had deceptively low point totals in the USHL, but that they're higher end offensive players than that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The claim from Tyler Wright on this guy is that they think he's a good puckmover with untapped offense. He made a comparison to Saarijarvi, saying both guys had deceptively low point totals in the USHL, but that they're higher end offensive players than that.

Also compared him to Lindström, as similar guys.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here's a full game video of the 2016 U18 Worlds Final where Kotkansalo played and had 2 assists. He's #36 in white, paired with Heiskanen btw.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Here's a full game video of the 2016 U18 Worlds Final where Kotkansalo played and had 2 assists. He's #36 in white, paired with Heiskanen btw.

That Finland team was insane. Kotkansalo looked solid too

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
OMG, that's exactly what Tyler Wright said.

Maybe he is not just an idiot. :amazed:

Meh, guy has been a Director of Amateur Scouting since 2011... hasn't drafted a 30 pt NHL defenseman yet...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Tyler Wright is underrated on the Wings forum. He was hired by Ken Holland so people automatically think he's mediocre.

So far, his track record has been respectful.

what track record? literally the only pick he has made so far that has even played in the NHL(other than Svechnikov playing 2 games this year) has been Larkin and the jury is very much still out on how good that pick ultimately ends up being what with his decline this year and still not having consistently played Center

still way too early to tell for most of his picks and people are rightfully alarmed about him using the word "character" twenty times in two minutes when talking about why he chose Rasmussen as our top 10 pick

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
what track record? literally the only pick he has made so far that has even played in the NHL(other than Svechnikov playing 2 games this year) has been Larkin and the jury is very much still out on how good that pick ultimately ends up being what with his decline this year and still not having consistently played Center

still way too early to tell for most of his picks and people are rightfully alarmed about him using the word "character" twenty times in two minutes when talking about why he chose Rasmussen as our top 10 pick

How is the jury still out on Larkin, the only player I'd definitively take that went after him is Pasta and he easily makes the top 10 of the redraft. He had a poor second season, at 20 years old ... wow. Most kids are in the AHL while he was "declining" in the NHL.

Larkin was one of the best value picks in the first round that year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How is the jury still out on Larkin, the only player I'd definitively take that went after him is Pasta and he easily makes the top 10 of the redraft. He had a poor second season, at 20 years old ... wow. Most kids are in the AHL while he was "declining" in the NHL.

Larkin was one of the best value picks in the first round that year.

How is the jury still out? Because as of right now he has one hot half of a season to his name as an NHL player.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How is the jury still out? Because as of right now he has one hot half of a season to his name as an NHL player.

And the kid still can't legally buy beer in this country. Were you really expecting whoever we took at 15th in 2014 to have done more in the NHL to this point than Larkin? I am not saying that he was the only reasonable option at 15, but I am not about to thumb my nose at 77 points in 160 NHL games before age 21. Pastrnak and Fabbri could turn out to be better players but I hardly see Larkin as a questionable pick at 15 or a waste of that pick.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I'm sure the "jury would still be out" on Larkin if he had played in the AHL as a PPG+ player the past 2 seasons.Instead he made the show and is still outshining like 7 forwards drafted before him.

The jury is still out on plenty of early 2014 picks, not Larkin, he's made it. Will he hit his peak potential, Idk but he's a bona fide NHLer

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And the kid still can't legally buy beer in this country. Were you really expecting whoever we took at 15th in 2014 to have done more in the NHL to this point than Larkin? I am not saying that he was the only reasonable option at 15, but I am not about to thumb my nose at 77 points in 160 NHL games before age 21. Pastrnak and Fabbri could turn out to be better players but I hardly see Larkin as a questionable pick at 15 or a waste of that pick.

No, but those are 2 separate points entirely IMO.

I wasn't challenging that Larkin was a good pick.

I was challenging that Larkin is a known quantity at the NHL level.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Frk It, you really don't like that pick?

Would you prefer:

Jakub Vrana? (13)
Julius Honka? (14)
Sonny Milano? (16)
travis Sanheim? (17)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Frk It, you really don't like that pick?

Would you prefer:

Jakub Vrana? (13)
Julius Honka? (14)
Sonny Milano? (16)
travis Sanheim? (17)

That's not something I was debating.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->