Post-Game Talk: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The biggest acquisition he has made in 4 years has been Val Filppula, a player Tampa was going to buy-out after the season.

:laugh:
He also acquired Sam gagner, a player Arizona was going to buy out in the offseason, and RJ Umberger, a player Columbus was rumored to want to buyout in the offseason.

So who’s rumored to be bought out this offseason? That’s the next logical acquisition.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He also acquired Sam gagner, a player Arizona was going to buy out in the offseason, and RJ Umberger, a player Columbus was rumored to want to buyout in the offseason.

So who’s up for a buyout this offseason? That’s the next logical acquisition.

Lehtera was going to be bought out last summer.

That's 4 forwards that were going to be bought out that he was glad to acquire and then keep on the 23 man roster rather than bury them.

Reactions: BillDineen

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Lehtera was going to be bought out last summer.

That's 4 forwards that were going to be bought out that he was glad to acquire and then keep on the 23 man roster rather than bury them.
At least we all know what he will do with the capspace this summer. Just need to guess what garbage he is going to take back from a cash strapped team.

Reactions: BillDineen

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At least we all know what he will do with the capspace this summer. Just need to guess what garbage he is going to take back from a cash strapped team.

I'm guessing he moves MacDonald for Seabrook + 4th

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

So who’s rumored to be bought out this offseason? That’s the next logical acquisition.

It won't be Hartnell since CBJ were already forced to buy his deal out at the cost of $7,000,000 in cap penalties.

Gagner for Pronger + Grossmann was an actual improvement to the team for the 15-16 season, and Hextall also a got a 4th rounder in the deal which was eventually part of the deal with Arizona to get the 35th overall in 2017, which was used on Ratcliffe.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think either philosophy is wrong. I just think there's a giant disconnect between Hex and Hak. If the idea is to plan for the future, Sanheim should absolutely be playing more than Manning. He may not be "better" (lol), but if we are planning future, his mistakes made now in what should be a developmental year are a non-issue, provided he is getting the right feedback from coaches and other management in what he did wrong, what he could have done better, etc. If the idea was to play for now and 'win', then we should have done a hell of a lot more at the deadline than acquire Mrazek and another bottom pairing defenseman.

Spinning plates that don't need to be spun is certainly one of the more trying things about the last couple years, more so this year with the prospect pool ready to overflow at the pro level. "We're rebuilding! We're a playoff team! We're rebuilding! We're a playoff team!"......

salem-plates-1.gif

And yet, as you mention, they're making decisions that don't really fit into either category. And so you get this.....

salem-plates-2.gif

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Mrazek question here...

Just watched the highlights and all 4 goals were of the 'not much he could do, not his fault' type.

Screened with no D boxing out/clearing the crease, tip ins, and corner top shelf cm from the post.

Doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. Dynasty league owner fyi. Any other insight? Thoughts? Am I wrong/right?

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I don't understand the "not much he could do about it" fallacy. Are there saves that you can't blame a goaltender for not making? Sure. However, expecting every savable shot to be a un unscreened, un-tipped, straight shot is ridiculous and unrealistic. The majority of the shots an NHL goaltender sees are going to be screened or tipped/redirected. Good goaltenders give themselves the chance to 'be hit by the puck' more often than not through awareness/quickness and positioning. If you're willing to give your goaltender a pass on every shot that's not an ideal, visible shot in a controlled environment, then you're going to be giving him a pass on a lot of goals every single night.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mrazek question here...

Just watched the highlights and all 4 goals were of the 'not much he could do, not his fault' type.

Screened with no D boxing out/clearing the crease, tip ins, and corner top shelf cm from the post.

Doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. Dynasty league owner fyi. Any other insight? Thoughts? Am I wrong/right?

I don’t think he’ll even be with the Flyers for next year at this point. They’d have to give up a third rounder in 2019 to re-sign him on top of the third or fourth rounder (likely the former, he only needs one more win for it to become a third) they give away this year. The way he’s playing & an organization that loves draft picks I can’t see them thinking it’s worth it. Not that I blame them of course.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't understand the "not much he could do about it" fallacy. Are there saves that you can't blame a goaltender for not making? Sure. However, expecting every savable shot to be a un unscreened, un-tipped, straight shot is ridiculous and unrealistic. The majority of the shots an NHL goaltender sees are going to be screened or tipped/redirected. Good goaltenders give themselves the chance to 'be hit by the puck' more often than not through awareness/quickness and positioning. If you're willing to give your goaltender a pass on every shot that's not an ideal, visible shot in a controlled environment, then you're going to be giving him a pass on a lot of goals every single night.

And considering how thoroughly suspect his positioning has been at times, it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: OrangeAndBlackMetal

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
They have also had good stretches and you obviously wouldn’t say they are that kind of team at the end of those. You aren’t going to say this team is a division winning caliber team. The average of the good and bad stretches for this team is a WC playoff team. That seems most likely now. Florida has games in hand but one of them is against Florida. Not sure if NJ plays Florida or the jackets. We are still likely going to make the playoffs and that was always the goal.

Sure that average out to a WC team, but I bet if you look at the other WC teams from this year and past years they aren't this up and down. The extreme lows and highs say something about the team.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sure that average out to a WC team, but I bet if you look at the other WC teams from this year and past years they aren't this up and down. The extreme lows and highs say something about the team.
They say their secondary scoring has been streaky and their goaltending too. They go a streak with TK winning game after game. Elliot saves them for another. Next up may be Lindblom. Eventually they will get that consistently and that’s a big part of being a cup contender.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Mrazek question here...

That fourth goal was diabolical. It was sucked in behind him like the net was a fart vacuum. That one he should have had. You or I could have, and I can't even stand up on ice skates.

Reactions: Adtar02

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
And considering how thoroughly suspect his positioning has been at times, it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.
First goal his positioning was bad. And I didn’t like his reaction to it. Second goal the defend was to blame more than the goalie. I believe it was manning but haven’t rewatched it. (Not trashing manning if it was someone else it’s their fault). Stick should have been tied up and have better position. Not sure about the others as I don’t remember them clearly

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
That fourth goal was diabolical. It was sucked in behind him like the net was a fart vacuum. That one he should have had. You or I could have, and I can't even stand up on ice skates.

Ice skates?

Roller blades... figure skates?

We just call em skates.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Because CBJ can attack off the rush.

Because CBJ have better forwards.

Because CBJ choke off everything in front of their goalie.

Because Flyers are deficient in their own end.

Think, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad