Post-Game Talk: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
well it isnt all on him. The defense has been atrocious at times in front of Mrazek, But he also has come up small at times when they needed him to make a save. We saw the good side of him against Winnipeg. That 4th goal last night should not happen. Things like that deflate a team.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think its pretty easy to blame it on the D since thats where the coach's scheme has most of the shots coming from. Here nor there i suppose though, in the grand scheme of things

I don't think anyone is surprised the team is thin. We've been building towards the future for a couple years now. We're a few years removed from spending all of our high picsks on defenseman and not drafting much in the forwards department, so this shouldnt be much of a surprise. Hextall has maintained his stance of not moving young kids or prospects for immediate help. This is what we get.

I think being in first for a little while has given people some unrealistic expectations of what was supposed to happen this year. We were supposed to be fighting for a WC spot - not leading the division. I'd love to make the playoffs, but more than that, i'd love to see Patrick, Lindblom, Sahneim, Konecny, et all take this year and use it for what it was intended - a development year.

I agree, and the more general frustration is that the extreme runs created a negative environment to be more experimental with the line-up. 10-game losing streak? We need to ice the best line-up to win!! 5-game winning streak? Can't mess with this line-up!!

That being said, I do confess to having a faint glimmer of hope for Hakstol with some progress on the roster. He seems to have aircraft carrier-level maneuverability in making roster adjustments but the TOIs of some of the usual suspects seem to be trending in the right direction. Maybe. I hope. Please.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree, and the more general frustration is that the extreme runs created a negative environment to be more experimental with the line-up. 10-game losing streak? We need to ice the best line-up to win!! 5-game winning streak? Can't mess with this line-up!!

That being said, I do confess to having a faint glimmer of hope for Hakstol with some progress on the roster. He seems to have aircraft carrier-level maneuverability in making roster adjustments but the TOIs of some of the usual suspects seem to be trending in the right direction. Maybe. I hope. Please.

Right, i think thats the frustrating part. Everything the GM is doing says "win tomorrow", but everything the coach is doing says "win now", and it leaves a lot of us conflicted. I get Hakstol wants to win to keep his job. The two dont seem to be on the same wavelength at all.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is the main thing that keeps him above Berube.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As of late?
Lindblom has zero points in his 12 NHL games.
Patrick has 16 points in 33 games since Jan. 1. Certainly promising, but subpar for 2nd line center production for a playoff team.
I think it’s a real cop out to blame it on the D, but, even if that’s the problem, the point remains: this team is thin compared to other playoff/bubble teams in the East, & that’s not the coach’s fault.
Funny you use Jan 1st for Patrick....since he was promoted to Jakes line on Jan 29th after the AllStar break. He has 14 points in 22 games since that time.

That's a 52 point pace.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
clement on manning:
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right, i think thats the frustrating part. Everything the GM is doing says "win tomorrow", but everything the coach is doing says "win now", and it leaves a lot of us conflicted. I get Hakstol wants to win to keep his job. The two dont seem to be on the same wavelength at all.

Nah, Hextall's philosophy is that personnel decisions are made for the long-term, but the NHL club should always strive to win now.
If a player can't help you win now, he should be in the AHL.
Sanheim is a good example, -10 when he went down, +2 since he returned, obviously he's helping us win! :sarcasm:

More seriously, Sanheim looks a lot better this time around, one bad mistake (never shove it weakly out in front of the net) otherwise another solid game. And his time is steadily increasing.

For Hextall, the calculus right now is something like this, would NAK make a significant difference in 10 minutes on the 4th line or would he develop faster playing a bigger AHL role, especially in the AHL playoffs? Do you rush Myers now or let him show he's ready in TC?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have no faith in Hextall actually acquiring a legitimately good top 6/top 4 player.

Why would we acquire a top 6 forward? The second line should be great next year.
And unless you're trading Sanheim/Myers plus a 1st, you're not landing a top 4 defenseman.

What we need are a couple bottom six forwards to buy time (or young enough to compete with the prospects who are coming) so we're not forced to start Frost and Vorobyev next year (Raffl, Laughton LW, NAK, MV?, add a young LW/C type in a trade or free agency).

And defensive depth so Myers doesn't have to start next season, but with Sanheim, Morin, Gudas, Hagg, we're really talking a short-term upgrade over Manning/MacDonald. Unless you can package Gudas, Hagg and the 1st for a young top 4 RHD.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The tweet said top 6 forward/top 4 defensemen. If you want to scale it to just quality players regardless of labels the criticism still remains. There’s undervalued players out there to be had but the Flyers are so behind the times in typecasting players it doesn’t really matter.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Nah, Hextall's philosophy is that personnel decisions are made for the long-term, but the NHL club should always strive to win now.
If a player can't help you win now, he should be in the AHL.
Sanheim is a good example, -10 when he went down, +2 since he returned, obviously he's helping us win! :sarcasm:

More seriously, Sanheim looks a lot better this time around, one bad mistake (never shove it weakly out in front of the net) otherwise another solid game. And his time is steadily increasing.

For Hextall, the calculus right now is something like this, would NAK make a significant difference in 10 minutes on the 4th line or would he develop faster playing a bigger AHL role, especially in the AHL playoffs? Do you rush Myers now or let him show he's ready in TC?

I don't think either philosophy is wrong. I just think there's a giant disconnect between Hex and Hak. If the idea is to plan for the future, Sanheim should absolutely be playing more than Manning. He may not be "better" (lol), but if we are planning future, his mistakes made now in what should be a developmental year are a non-issue, provided he is getting the right feedback from coaches and other management in what he did wrong, what he could have done better, etc. If the idea was to play for now and 'win', then we should have done a hell of a lot more at the deadline than acquire Mrazek and another bottom pairing defenseman.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I get some people need to defend the coach, but why Hakstol? The guy is a *****. He chooses to play boring, conservative hockey. He chooses to overplay the Filppulas, the MacDonalds,the Haggs, and the Mannings. At least the people that defended Doug Pederson last year defended a coach that was ultra aggressive and took chances.

If you think people defend the coach no matter he does what on this forum, you should try HockeyBuzz. It's at a whole different level. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->