GDT: #7| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | October 19th | 7:00 PM| F/W-SO 4-3

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Also important to note this is a young team that is horrible in one out of three zones (obviously inside our own blueline) I think that was an issue a lot of this board expected coming into this season. Were .500 and this team clearly has a lot of room for growth. Clean up the D zone, tell Johnny superstar over there that the season started and i think were in pretty decent shape

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I said last year that JT had one foot out the door already and got blasted on here.

His body language on and off the ice, facial expressions and post games were all ominous. Seems that is becoming closer to a majority opinion now.

Somehow reality is confused with negativity around here. He very well may stay, but the likelihood of him bolting July 1st are very high, if you can’t see that now, I feel for you.

It sucks but I agree 100% with you. I have a bad feeling that he actually wants to be here but is being pressured by either his fiance or his family members to go elsewhere and its now really in his head. Honestly its starting to get ridiculous. He sucks this year, either sign on the dotted line and get rid of this distraction or trade him and move on. JT is a great player but life will go on without him here trust me. Who wants to wait till January to find out about the arena or for his head to get cleared. You are a professional, get your $#!t together or move on man, its hurting the team.

Reactions: periferal

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Also important to note this is a young team that is horrible in one out of three zones (obviously inside our own blueline) I think that was an issue a lot of this board expected coming into this season. Were .500 and this team clearly has a lot of room for growth. Clean up the D zone, tell Johnny superstar over there that the season started and i think were in pretty decent shape

Our defense is disgustingly bad, needs more than just cleaning.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It sucks but I agree 100% with you. I have a bad feeling that he actually wants to be here but is being pressured by either his fiance or his family members to go elsewhere and its now really in his head. Honestly its starting to get ridiculous. He sucks this year, either sign on the dotted line and get rid of this distraction or trade him and move on. JT is a great player but life will go on without him here trust me. Who wants to wait till January to find out about the arena or for his head to get cleared. You are a professional, get your $#!t together or move on man, its hurting the team.

Holy shit the amount of speculating about John Tavares at the 7 game mark of the season is absolutely astounding. :eyeroll:

Some of you {Mod edit} are worse than the Canadian media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
You need the lucky wins where the team is playing like crap or has lapses.

You honestly think this team has a shot at the cup or making it past the 1st round with how it is built right now?

I think the team will be lucky to make the playoffs.

I agree but the team has been playing like shit for 2 years now, so it's more than just lapses. And I never said this team has a shot at the cup. The team f***ing sucks and Snow should've been fired a decade ago. We need to rebuild again.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Doug Weight is Jack Capuano 2.0

I still love beating the ragoos though!

Jaro, Barzal, Bailey were my 3 stars of the night. Pulock would be up there if he played more than 4 minutes.

Reactions: Eberzal

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
I've seen enough. Bailey needs to go back there, because as I predicted, this "real #1 line" is actually hurting the production throughout the lineup. Eberle wants to have the puck and moves quicker than Lee and Tavares, he's also not playing a slow and deliberate style. He should be with a quicker playmaking center, like Barzal, so they can take advantage of the transition game. Bailey goes to his spots, plays deliberately, and gets the puck to Tavares and Lee where they can do damage. It's essentially, get to where you need to and then get out of the way. People hate that for some reason, but that's the style that compliments Tavares and Lee.

Every single time Bailey has taken a shift with Lee and Tavares the line instantly looks dangerous. It's not because Bailey is better than Eberle, just that he compliments the other two better.

Agreed

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
I've seen enough. Bailey needs to go back there, because as I predicted, this "real #1 line" is actually hurting the production throughout the lineup. Eberle wants to have the puck and moves quicker than Lee and Tavares, he's also not playing a slow and deliberate style. He should be with a quicker playmaking center, like Barzal, so they can take advantage of the transition game. Bailey goes to his spots, plays deliberately, and gets the puck to Tavares and Lee where they can do damage. It's essentially, get to where you need to and then get out of the way. People hate that for some reason, but that's the style that compliments Tavares and Lee.

Every single time Bailey has taken a shift with Lee and Tavares the line instantly looks dangerous. It's not because Bailey is better than Eberle, just that he compliments the other two better.

LTB isn't the problem. The problem is that the team lacks a secondary high end scorer to compliment JT. Teams just key in on Tavares and shut the isles down completely. Barzal is getting better every game. Give him a scorer like Eberle (I might even adventure to say put Nelson at his LW) and we might get that secondary threat

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
This is what's wrong with this board. Who gives a **** how they win? They beat the Rangers. They got the two points. Winning ugly, is still winning.

I give a f*** how we win. Yes, a win is a win which is great. Back to NHL .500, which is good with so many youngsters on the team and a new coach, but why should we ignore glaring deficiencies? If we have that 3rd period against any other team on any other night Halak isn't making key save after key save, we probably lose. You can be happy we won but also be disappointed with certain aspects of how we played.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Holy **** the amount of speculating about John Tavares at the 7 game mark of the season is absolutely astounding. :eyeroll:

Some of you {Mod edit} are worse than the Canadian media.
Honestly you might be right but its just very frustrating and yeah i agree its super early its just not the body language were used to from Tavares and definitely not the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I give a **** how we win. Yes, a win is a win which is great. Back to NHL .500, which is good with so many youngsters on the team and a new coach, but why should we ignore glaring deficiencies? If we have that 3rd period against any other team on any other night Halak isn't making key save after key save, we probably lose. You can be happy we won but also be disappointed with certain aspects of how we played.

Nobody is ignoring anything. More like this board has the same narrative each season. With the way this team is constructed I'm ecstatic with any win they get at this point. I think some posters around here need to temper their expectations.

-A first year head coach who somehow is devolving into Capuano this quickly (I was expecting at least 30 games).
-A defense that has 1 top pairing defenseman (Leddy). Two #4s (deHaan, and Boychuk) and the rest perennial bottom pair guys.
-A mishmash of young forwards and players on the decline (Clutterbuck, Chimera, Ladd)
-Tavares disappearing for games at a time (nothing new, he'll be fine.)
-Ladd, who has one of the most asinine contracts in the league. Somebody wrote last night, "every time he steps on the ice he's stealing." Couldn't be anymore spot on.
-No bonafide #1 goalie. Halak and Greiss don't have the durability or consistency and are just getting older.
-Instead of going after Duchene. Snow should have been going after a guy like Niklas Hjalmarsson.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
LTB isn't the problem. The problem is that the team lacks a secondary high end scorer to compliment JT. Teams just key in on Tavares and shut the isles down completely. Barzal is getting better every game. Give him a scorer like Eberle (I might even adventure to say put Nelson at his LW) and we might get that secondary threat

They did well enough in previous years to keep them together. They produce enough 5 on 5 that it's not really an issue. Secondary scoring needs to be on the second and third line. That's where Eberle needs to go.

Reactions: YesCubed

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
So excited about the team this year. Their system still needs polishing but it's just the beginning of the year. Really liking the make-up of this team. The rookies are performing the way I would expect them to so early in their careers. Other than a couple of individual mistakes, they played a pretty sound game yesterday against a team that likes to run and gun. JT needs to be reunited with Bailey and Lee. Eberle's game seems to be suited more for players who possess speed- either Barzal or Hosang. He's a mismatch with Tavares who needs to slow the game down to be effective. JT's struggling because of this. Weight reunited that line late into the game yesterday and the way they played was night and day. Eberle will add more depth to a second line that eventually should be centered by Barzal IMO. Great team. Good job Snow and Co! Give the man a raise!

Huh?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It wasn't a lazy play, it was a bad play. After he coughed it up, he actually got back to break up the play, but unfortunately hit it right to another Ranger (I think that goal was the one he was responsible for). He also doesn't have the tendency of doing that like Ho-Sang does. Still, that doesn't justify the benching.

I noticed the benching happened after that point blank chance he had that he passed up (subsequent turnover). It was too long IMO. Maybe a few shifts, have a talk with him, video session etc.; leave it at that.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There was good and bad in this game, but the part that annoyed me was watching Weight smile at some point...
This should have been a time to show anger, let the players know this **** is unacceptable...

A timeout would have been nice...

Bingo. This isn't happy hour at Club Med - We need a HEAD COACH who holds people account-

Ah it's hopeless...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think its the opposite. People have unrealistic expectations. This is an average team. It will look good at times and bad at times. Such is life for most teams in the new NHL. Parity.

I have never agreed with you more. This is 100% an average team not surprisingly by an average GM.

The problem is that too many in Islanderville don't have higher expectations for their GM.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is what's wrong with this board. Who gives a **** how they win? They beat the Rangers. They got the two points. Winning ugly, is still winning.

Because most of us know that the rangers stink right now, so it's more like while the win is fine, playing like that against most of the rest of the league is going to result in missing the playoffs again.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You need the lucky wins where the team is playing like crap or has lapses.

You honestly think this team has a shot at the cup or making it past the 1st round with how it is built right now?

I think the team will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Agreed....And yet you want us to be happy with one win over a hapless rival?

Feel free to be happy if single, individual wins do it for you. Some of us have much bigger aspirations around here.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Honestly you might be right but its just very frustrating and yeah i agree its super early its just not the body language were used to from Tavares and definitely not the effort.

But you make it sound like he hasn't gone through slumps before. He has. Usually it's not at the start of the season, but he has gone through periods of pointless games and shoddy play. He's not Crosby-level talent and he never was.

As to body language and the like, that's all HF "reading between the lines stuff", and fan fiction as far as I'm concerned.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Yikes you would have thought we lost last night reading this thread. If you ask me this team is gunna be good this season. They have a lot of new faces playing key roles. Eberle/Tavares are going to start to score. Goaltending has been decent and Barzal is looking like a stud and Nelson finally looks like he cares about winning. Everyone take a deep breath and step off the ledge. Lots of room for improvement 2-2 on the 4 game road trip not 0-4 relax people. But yes I am scared about Tavares leaving....guy looks so unmotivated right now. Would love to see them add another piece like Galchenyuk but I’m not holding my breath. LGI!

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Agreed....And yet you want us to be happy with one win over a hapless rival?

Feel free to be happy if single, individual wins do it for you. Some of us have much bigger aspirations around here.

Yeah I’m happy with the win. Most people around here don’t recognize how quickly this team could be a cellar dweller with the Rangers this season.

Have all the aspirations you want. I’ll be happy with the victories since I know this team is nowhere close to competing with the contenders of the East. Snow adds another quality defenseman and I’ll start having some aspirations for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->