GDT: #7| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | October 19th | 7:00 PM| F/W-SO 4-3

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

h7bjRxY.jpg

aNspLtH.jpg

kR4emTL.png

Preview

All time series record:
The Rangers lead the series 144-138-19 with the Islanders having a 3.2 GFPGA while the Rangers are averaging 3.3 GFPGA. Islanders all time at the Rangers are 59-81-11 with a 3.0 GFPGA. The Rangers are averaging 3.5 GFPGA at home VS the Islanders.

NEW YORK -- When the New York Islanders and New York Rangers meet, there is never a shortage of intensity and energy.

With the way each team has started the 2017-18 season, there may be even more desperation than usual Thursday for an October matchup.

The Islanders will visit Madison Square Garden with two wins in six games. The reeling Rangers have one win in seven games, making the two points available in this contest particularly meaningful.

"As a team, if you don't win games early on, you're gonna go through some confidence issues," Rangers defenseman Marc Staal said to the New York Daily News. "I think we've played some good periods of hockey, we've done some good things. We haven't found the confidence to finish out a game and go after it and get a win. Go out in the third period and get a win. We haven't done that. It's something we've got to work toward and find."

The Rangers were less than a minute from a potentially uplifting win against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday night, but they relinquished the lead late in regulation and lost in overtime to fall to 1-5-1, the first time they have lost six of seven to start a season since 1959-60.

"You just have to focus on the good things," Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist said. "We are doing a lot of good things. As a team we played really well (against Pittsburgh). I think personally it was a good game, but then you give up the late one and a minute later it's over in overtime. We were really close to responding the way we need right now, we just have to do it in the next game."

The Islanders (2-3-1) have been better, but not by much. They scored only seven goals on their three-game California road trip, but three came in one game against the San Jose Sharks and resulted in a 3-1 victory. Otherwise, the scoring woes have been hampering the team in nearly every game.

The offensive problem starts with the top line of John Tavares, Jordan Eberle and Anders Lee. They have combined for four goals -- Eberle has yet to score -- while Andrew Ladd (one goal) and Josh Ho-Sang (zero) have not produced as expected.

"It starts with shooting the puck," Islanders coach Doug Weight told Newsday. "We have some guys that can fire it, and we have to start moving it around a little quicker and firing pucks on net."

Compounding the problem is special teams. The Islanders are 0-for-20 on the power play -- the only other team without a power-play goal this season is the Anaheim Ducks -- and they have allowed three short-handed goals. The Rangers may be the perfect recipe for the Islanders to jump-start the power play, as the Rangers are ranked 30th (74.1 percent) in penalty killing.

"The power play's been letting us down so far," Tavares said to Newsday. "Some good things at times, other times we're not executing and other times we're not getting good bounces. It's a combination of a few things. All we can do is wake up tomorrow, find a way to turn the tide and get better."

Useful links

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/
http://www.tsn.ca/
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday
http://islanders.nhl.com/

Last game Highlights.

Last edited:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I'll be in the house, if the Islanders are going to get 1 point I am going to be a happy guy

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Is this the game? Is this the game we finally score a powerplay goal?

Have to think Eberle gets on the scoresheet too, their D kinda sucks.
Pulock is in Kulemin is out. I'll be heading to this one tomorrow with Quaddeuces! Anyone else going?

I'm going! First time at the garden for an isles Rags game for me in along time

I'm going, been a great representation of Isles fans there past bunch of years.

Reactions: NYI JT91

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Love the way Ciikas has been playing lately :naughty:

Perfect time to have the Rangers on the schedule, they always play well against them and a great way to springboard into 2 more very winnable games. Get off the PP schneid, chase the Queen Henrik out of his crease again and get those 2 points!

LGI!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
So we are rolling 7 dmen with Pulock probably only playing on the Power Play?

Is Kulemin hurt or just the odd man out?

I guess this makes sense. Would be nice to see Pulock getting a real chance though. It won't kill Hickey to sit for a game or two.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
So what is the plan with Pulock? Pulock plays strictly on the PP and the Isles roll out 11 forwards with JT taking a lot of extra shifts?

I think this may help spark the PP< but if your concern with Pulock is his defense but you still see him as a part of the future, how do you expect him to improve in his own zone or even fairly evaluate him with this type of set-up? Is the pPP/offensively, this will give a factor on the PP/offensively, this will give coaching the greenlight to make him a full-time player?

Interesting to say the least. I know he struggled in pre-season but in his few cups of coffee in the NHL he held his own defensively and he definitely improved over time in that regard throughout his AHL career. I expect the same trajectory in the NHL. He'll never be a 2 way stud but he can at least not embarrass himself. Question is whether or not Weight will let this happen. At this point it is hard to take any dman out the way they are ply good, the defense as a whole has not been overly good, so I don't see any harm in sitting someone like Pelech, Hickey, or even CDH down for a night to see what Pulock can do. You're irrationally sitting Beauvillier out even though he's arguably one of our best forwards for the sole purpose that he is young. Why can't this be dopne with Pelech?

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
The decision making within this organization is baffling. They have no clue how to harness young talent and then utilize said talent.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
https://www.newsday.com/sports/hock...e-his-season-debut-against-rangers-1.14527746

"The Islanders still had the same formation as they did when the top unit was four forwards, a 1-3-1 with Lee in front of the net and Leddy at the point, but Pulock looked to be trying to find the off-side circle one-timer — the Alex Ovechkin spot. 'Personally I like it because it gives me an opportunity to shoot the puck, that’s my strength,' Pulock said. 'If I can find that spot, find some seams and get the puck, I just want to pound it on net. A lot of times, it’s either going in, or there’s a rebound and hopefully we can cash in on those.'"

Reactions: NYI JT91

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
https://www.newsday.com/sports/hock...e-his-season-debut-against-rangers-1.14527746

"The Islanders still had the same formation as they did when the top unit was four forwards, a 1-3-1 with Lee in front of the net and Leddy at the point, but Pulock looked to be trying to find the off-side circle one-timer — the Alex Ovechkin spot. 'Personally I like it because it gives me an opportunity to shoot the puck, that’s my strength,' Pulock said. 'If I can find that spot, find some seams and get the puck, I just want to pound it on net. A lot of times, it’s either going in, or there’s a rebound and hopefully we can cash in on those.'"
I like the idea of Pulock in that position, hopefully that means Tavares will stick to the opposite half wall. JT was dynamite shooting from there a few years back, and it blows my mind that our PP strategy has been to put our best player in less of a position to use his shot.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You can get a ticket to the game at MSG for $69 right now? Wow -- this rivalry is in rough shape.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Gut instinct tells me pulock misses wide first two shots on the power play. Resulting in clears, weight than goes back to the old system. Isles power play woes continue.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You can get a ticket to the game at MSG for $69 right now? Wow -- this rivalry is in rough shape.
This happens when this game is in October. With the Yankees in the playoffs even more so. And the fact that the Rags are off to a slow start is making it a less sexy game too. It's not prime season for finance guys to go to the game yet. 4-1 start might be more compelling.

2-3 years ago I bought seats 5 rows off the goal line for $100 at the garden. Don't know when the next msg game is but will undoubtedly be pricier.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Gut instinct tells me pulock misses wide first two shots on the power play. Resulting in clears, weight than goes back to the old system. Isles power play woes continue.

If he does he really does blow as HC. We have 1 guy with a legit weapon of a shot and we HAVE to take advantage of him. There is no effing way Pulock is worse defensively than Brian Strait or last years Hammonic and neither could skate or play a lick of an offensive game. Let this dude play and take his bumps and bruises. We legit need that game changing shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad