7 Defenseman?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Does anyone think that while Bogosian is out, that it would be a good idea to dress 7 defensemen and 11 forwards?

Stuart, Clitsome, Postma, Meech and Redmond are all either unproven or have struggled playing against top lines from other teams.

Stuart especially seemed to struggle with increased minutes last year. If we have an extra defenseman we could spread the minutes a little more evenly and get a chance to judge who we want to keep by seeing the players against the same competition in the same circumstances.

We'd have to scratch our 4th line LW or RW, but it could be worth it if we get better defensive performances against high powered offences of Ottawa and Boston.

Just an idea, thanks guys.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that's a pretty good idea. Keep in mind that Meech can play on the wing...might be the 7th D and rotate in and out of the 4th line and bottom pair to give guys a breather when we're playing 3 games in 4 nights or whatever.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I said it in the other thread, but I think the writing may be on the wall for Clitsome.

From the time we acquired him, Postma and Redmond have taken huge strides in their development. Postma is now on a one-way contract and Redmond has really broken out in the AHL (and will now be subject to waivers IIRC). Plus Clitsome makes 1.4 million this year - too much for a 6th/7th defenceman.

I'd be fine with a top six of Buff, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart, Postma and Redmond until Bogosian returns.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I said it in the other thread, but I think the writing may be on the wall for Clitsome.

From the time we acquired him, Postma and Redmond have taken huge strides in their development. Postma is now on a one-way contract and Redmond has really broken out in the AHL (and will now be subject to waivers IIRC). Plus Clitsome makes 1.4 million this year - too much for a 6th/7th defenceman.

I'd be fine with a top six of Buff, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart, Postma and Redmond until Bogosian returns.

I'd rather have Clitsome on that last pair. He can kill penalties in a pinch, not sure Redmond can. Postma definitely can't.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Incorrect. Redmond can be returned to St. John's without having to clear waivers.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It sounds like a good idea.

I know Noel spoke of it last year, but he often said he doesn't like to do that.

You don't see it much in the NHL, but in the short term, with our kind of interchangeable 4th line (- slater) and only Hainsey being a proven top four guy after the top pair, one mental fatigue error in our own end from Postma or Stuart could cost us about 2% of our season...each game Bogosian is out.

Would surprise me to see it, but I think it could be effective. Postma could play all offensive/2nd PP, and Clitsome and Redmond could play lost of the 5 on 5 with Clitty taking 2nd PK.

I'm thinking Antro/Poni can fill in a 4th line wing spot here and there on a double shift. They aren't guys you need to worry about playing 15-17 mins and being liabilities IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad