News Article: 7 Blackhawks being considered for 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship US/CAN teams

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I know, I know. SM is a rag for clickbait but this is relevant & interesting:

US:

This year, Chicago has four prospects participating in the camp. Gavin Hayes and Oliver Moore will play on the Blue team, and Frank Nazar and Sam Rinzel are on the White team. None of the four prospects is over the age of 19, so the invite is a great opportunity for the young skaters to get on the ice in a competitive format as they try to prove their worth to the team.

Canada:

Yesterday, the team released its summer meeting invites, and three Blackhawks prospects cracked the list. Kevin Korchinski, Paul Ludwinski, and Samuel Savoie will be considered for the December tournament. Korchinski in particular should be a near-lock to make the team, as he was an integral part of Canada’s gold medal-winning group last winter. All three Canadian prospects have been signed by Chicago

Reactions: d rake

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Would Canada ask about Bedard's availability for shits and giggles?

The CHGO Blackhawks podcast had a great bit about that the other day.

"Welcome to the Blackhawks answering service, if you are inquiring about Connor Bedard's availability to participate in extracurricular hockey, please press 1"

"No"

*end of call*

Reactions: Styles

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
What other Blackhawks will be representing at the WJC?

Canada-Korchinski, Savoie, Ludwinski
USA-Nazar, Rinzel, Hayes, Moore
Slovakia-Gajan, Misiak?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What other Blackhawks will be representing at the WJC?

Canada-Korchinski, Savoie, Ludwinski
USA-Nazar, Rinzel, Hayes, Moore
Slovakia-Gajan, Misiak?
Yeah both those Slovakian guys will be there. Perhaps Felcman for Czech Republic. I think based on his draft pedigree who I’d expect him there but not sure how many returnees from last year they have.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Wheeler and Pronman made their predictions in today's article. They both left Korchinski off because they highly doubt he gets loaned to team Canada, otherwise he would be a shoe-in. They both have future Blackhawk Macklin Celebrini making team Canada. :nod: Ludwinski did not make either guy's list.

Alot of Blackhawks on the American side to keep an eye on. They both have Nazar, Moore and Rinzel making it. Wheeler has Gavin Hayes making it. Gajan and Misiak are likely locks for Slovakia.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Guys who play in the CHL are never locks for US.

Yup. American brand does not like picking guys who play in Canadian leagues. Similar to Canada not picking guys who play in American colleges unless they're special (Fantilli, likely Macklin this year, etc). That's why Ryan Greene didn't make team Canada last year. Also Quentin Musty not even being in consideration for team USA.

That's why Pronman left Hayes off his list. We'll see who ends up being right. Hayes absolutely deserves to be on team USA though.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It’s a bias towards former USNDTP more so than a bias against Canadian Juniors.

Hayes really wouldn’t be a “lock” in any event. It’s a very strong field and you have to consider roles.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It’s a bias towards former USNDTP more so than a bias against Canadian Juniors.

Hayes really wouldn’t be a “lock” in any event. It’s a very strong field and you have to consider roles.
I mean isn't that essentially the same thing. With CHL starting at 16 its one or the other. If you don't play USNTDP then you likely play CHL. I guess there is always like USHL exceptions but those are guys that just developed late. If they were good enough for USNTDP they likely would have been on it rather than USHL.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean isn't that essentially the same thing. With CHL starting at 16 its one or the other. If you don't play USNTDP then you likely play CHL. I guess there is always like USHL exceptions but those are guys that just developed late. If they were good enough for USNTDP they likely would have been on it rather than USHL.
If they were good enough for USNDTP, these days it's basically a lock they would have gone USNDTP. A guy like DeBrincat was a USNDTP cut. Top Americans don't go Canadian Juniors at 16 these days. It's more so a next wave, which is split as is between CHL/USHL/Prep HS.

There are always late bloomers that weren't big enough names at 15 to make it on the USNDTP radar and play their way into being high picks and future USA WJC locks, but the Adam Erne "thx but no thx" kids that go play in Major Juniors instead are pretty much an extinct breed.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If they were good enough for USNDTP, these days it's basically a lock they would have gone USNDTP. A guy like DeBrincat was a USNDTP cut. Top Americans don't go Canadian Juniors at 16 these days. It's more so a next wave, which is split as is between CHL/USHL/Prep HS.
I guess my point was its a bias against CHL in the sense that they already cut them once in most cases. But its still a bias against CHL kids. Its the same for Hayes who got cut too.

Would essentially be saying they stick to their evaluations from when the kids were 16 and don't move off of them.. seems silly too. Zero chance that DeBrincat shouldn't have been on that team, even with his match penalty that one game the year prior.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I guess my point was its a bias against CHL in the sense that they already cut them once in most cases. But its still a bias against CHL kids. Its the same for Hayes who got cut too.

Would essentially be saying they stick to their evaluations from when the kids were 16 and don't move off of them.. seems silly too. Zero chance that DeBrincat shouldn't have been on that team, even with his match penalty that one game the year prior.
Gotcha, I agree with that, I just don't think Hayes necessarily has a better chance if he had gone USHL -> NCAA route if his performance is comparable (because he's the same player either way) (which is a bit tricky to get into what I mean by that, as I don't mean the same PPG as NCAA consists of older teams).

As an aside, Michigan kids are definitely still the most likely to opt for CHL which makes sense given where various OHL franchises are located.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad