Prospect Info: 65th Pick Jonas Rondbjerg (2017)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
We had to give up a 3rd round pick in 2017 or 2018 because of the Tuch trade in the expansion draft.
They must value Rondbjerg much because they drafted him and MIN will get the 3rd round pick in 2018.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Jonas is a nice, nice boy. Perhaps too nice. Perhaps lacking a little fire inside him. But he definitely will do as told.

As of now he is primarely a defensive winger. But he sees the ice so well and reads the next couple of steps to come all the time. He lacks power in both his shot and his skating though, so he's not particularly dangerous at this point. Which is why I call him a defensive winger.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Nice player.

I think he could have a Jannik Hansen type of impact.

I'm not sure what that means, but he is quite a different player. They probably only have their passport in common. Hansen is quick on the feet, Røndbjerg has rather slow moving skates. Hansen has a quick release and a pretty hard shot, Røndbjerg doesn't. Hansen tackles anything that moves, Røndbjerg doesn't. Røndbjerg has excellent hockey-IQ with and without the puck... not exactly Hansen's main area. Røndbjerg has excellent hand-to-eye coordination, which is more average on Hansen.

They are both very good at doing what the coaches ask of them, but they will be asking for them to do very different things.

So I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, because you didn't say anything about them as players, so this was just to make sure, it wasn't that road you were going down :)

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I would've rather went with an all or nothing boom / bust type pick in the 3rd round as there's usually quite a few of those guys in that range.

From what little I know about this guy, he sounds like a decent bet to be a 4th liner, and not much more than that.

I think those are the types of picks you make in the 4th-7th rounds.

He was the 3rd pick of the 3rd round, almost a 2nd rounder. I would've liked to see more upside with that pick.

I hope what little I've read is wrong and he proves everyone wrong.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I would've rather went with an all or nothing boom / bust type pick in the 3rd round as there's usually quite a few of those guys in that range.

From what little I know about this guy, he sounds like a decent bet to be a 4th liner, and not much more than that.

I think those are the types of picks you make in the 4th-7th rounds.

He was the 3rd pick of the 3rd round, almost a 2nd rounder. I would've liked to see more upside with that pick.

I hope what little I've read is wrong and he proves everyone wrong.

He was dominant when he was younger, but didnt seperate himself in his later teens as much as I thought he would.

Im thinking more of an unpolished Frans Nielsen lite type player ( Not A C tho). But he is defo a work in progress.

I think maybe like Vandalay says, he is too nice, he doesnt seem to have that bad boy fire in him.

In all honesty, and it pains me to say, because I like Jonas, but I dont see a NHL future in the cards for him.
He will go on to have a great career in Europe tho, KHL or SHL im thinking.

I had him as a 3rd rounder a few years ago, but he slipped to late 4th early 5th on my personal list.
Suprised me to see him go this early.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge saw something they liked, and reached for him.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
9 points in 5 games in the world juniors undoubtedly helped to counter concerns over his scoring. His defensive awareness might mean he'll get a look a little quicker than some other guys of his ability level too.

Let's wait and see how he develops. If he starts scoring goals they got him at the right time.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Take it with a grain of salt since the 9 in 5 was the U-18's and not the U-20's.

At least he made the Danish team. But he got 2 points (assists) in 5 games there.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Take it with a grain of salt since the 9 in 5 was the U-18's and not the U-20's.

At least he made the Danish team. But he got 2 points (assists) in 5 games there.

Also take it with a grain of salt, that it was in Division 1 against teams such as Kazakhstan, Norway and Hungary not Russia and Canada.

He has a high ceiling due to his extreme hockey IQ, and will definitely be one of the best penalty killing prospects you will see in your arsenal. He reads every move on the penalty kill. Amazing in that area.

If the right coach comes along and manages to put power skating on him, as with John Tavares at age 18-20 for instance, and if some coach manages to teach him to shoot the puck faster and harder he could become a scoop.

At age 15 he was a clear cut first rounder, and probably among the 5 best in his year of birth in the world, but unfortunately he hasn't developed the skating and the shot nearly as much as other kids do from age 15 to 18.

I would love for him to go to North America ASAP to deal with OHL/WHL and really get a chance to develop these skills since I feel he will get pushed more so in Canadian junior than in Sweden.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Might compile a season highlight package from Rondbjerg if I find the time.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
He's a great player; but the Knights really should have took shots at Chmleveski/Lodnia instead.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Signed. Max ELC $925k, no bonuses.

I wonder what this means for the Clarkson contract, and maybe the Nosek negotiations.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It's just the fact that they didn't do the standard 725-800k contract plus performance bonus, tells me they expect to possibly have bonus overages by the end of the year (results in a fine by the NHL). This happened with the Leafs in 2017(fined over 5 million) with Horton on LTIR.

There's no chance he make the Knights so the performance bonuses don't matter. Players in the AHL don't count against the cap so it doesn't have any affect whatsoever. Probably just gave him a little extra money guaranteed to get him to cross the pond.

Reactions: derriko

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There's no chance he make the Knights so the performance bonuses don't matter. Players in the AHL don't count against the cap so it doesn't have any affect whatsoever. Probably just gave him a little extra money guaranteed to get him to cross the pond.

Yeah I know he's on a 2 way. His bonus would only count if he was on the roster.

I wouldn't say no chance, if Nosek and Carpenter are asking over 1m, it might be Quinney, MacKenzie and Rondbjerg fighting for 13th forward spot. They wanted him signed bad enough, they must like his 2 way game.

There might be some surprises on opening night is all I'm saying (Coghlan, Rondbjerg, Dansk etc)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah I know he's on a 2 way. His bonus would only count if he was on the roster.

I wouldn't say no chance, if Nosek and Carpenter are asking over 1m, it might be Quinney, MacKenzie and Rondbjerg fighting for 13th forward spot. They wanted him signed bad enough, they must like his 2 way game.

There might be some surprises on opening night is all I'm saying (Coghlan, Rondbjerg, Dansk etc)
I'd have Røndbjerg firmly at a 0% chance. Still 2+ years off any kind of role in the NHL imo. Dansk would hardly be a surprise for me as Turk doesn't trust Subb. But then again, GMGM has loved to call up Mad Max instead of Dansk even though Max really isn't an NHL calibre goalie.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
I rarely put anything at 0 or 100%, so I won't go there with Røndbjerg, but fact of the matter is his development in Sweden has been almost non-existing since the draft. Røndbjerg is a wonderful kid, and everybody will welcome his demenor, but he lacks drive, he lacks speed, he lacks physique and he lacks a difference making shot.

He tends to play everything as safe as possible, and his high hockey-IQ will make it a joy for you to watch his defensive play and his poke checking, although the defensive play will lack some physical attributes. He is a sublime shorthanded player. He reads lanes and passing possibilities so very well. He is the type of shorthanded player who shuts down the lanes so well that he often isn't even forced to block shots, simply because the powerplay won't get the shot off in front of him very often.

All the positive attributes are all halted though by the lacks I mentioned to begin with, especially the lacking drive, so I actually am worried that he might drop to the ECHL. I'm not saying he definitely will, but there's a slight risk - unless his contract doesn't allow them to send him to ECHL of course. My expectation is a full AHL season without any NHL games after preseason.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
ECHL is a good transition for a European player. Doesn't happen that often, but they get a real introduction to the physical game and the smaller ice. He should be able to produce more there and be more of an elite threat relative to the talent level which may be helpful.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
ECHL is a good transition for a European player. Doesn't happen that often, but they get a real introduction to the physical game and the smaller ice. He should be able to produce more there and be more of an elite threat relative to the talent level which may be helpful.

If you go to the ECHL as a non-goalie, you essentially have no NHL future. The list of regular shift / non-call up types in the NHL that played in the ECHL is very, very short.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If you go to the ECHL as a non-goalie, you essentially have no NHL future. The list of regular shift / non-call up types in the NHL that played in the ECHL is very, very short.

Deryk Engelland would like to have a word with you.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Deryk Engelland would like to have a word with you.

I did say the list is super short, but that there is a list haha. 99% of the time it's the death of your NHL aspirations if you can't even be a 13th forward / 7th D on the AHL team.

I just don't see it with this kid. Not above average at anything. He's a VGK prospect so i'm going to cross my fingers and wish him the best though.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I did say the list is super short, but that there is a list haha. 99% of the time it's the death of your NHL aspirations if you can't even be a 13th forward / 7th D on the AHL team.

I just don't see it with this kid. Not above average at anything. He's a VGK prospect so i'm going to cross my fingers and wish him the best though.

I don't think that's the way to think about it. It's a different game and one that's suited to adjustment for Euro players. It's not common but I think it should be. Take the first step by going to a level where your skills can translate but you first have to handle the physical game. It's really different when you don't have easy lanes to avoid contact or obstruction. Having gone to some ECHL games and a few Swiss games that's the undeniable difference. Swiss game defenders give you that perimeter to run around with, no one is going to chase you to the boards. ECHL defenses are always lining you up. Handle that aspect and the rest of the game is easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->