63%, not 87%

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
This reminds me of the Bill Clinton sketch on Saturday Night Live from 1996, when he was re-elected. He won 49% of the popular vote, and 49% of eligible voters cast a ballot that year. "I am pleased that less than half of less than half of you American citizens voted to re-elect me. . ." He goes to weed out women, blacks, gays, criminals, people actually working for him, Arkansans, etc., and we find that the entire election hinged on the vote of one guy from Iowa.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
egger66 said:
It is not true that 87% of the players approved the deal. It is 87% of players who voted, not of all players. About 200 didn't bother to vote, so the actual number of players voting for the agreement was about 63%. Of course, it is impossiblle to say how the other 200 would have voted, had then be forced to make a choice.

So only about 9% voted against it. Good enough for me to call it a massive endorsement.

egger66

Rick Middleton said:
Indeed. Having worked in surveying and the like, a non-vote is usually a vote for the proposal. If you are against a proposal, you would vote against it rather than abstain.

That is pure guesswork. The bottom line is that the amount of the support for the proposal was far less than stated by simply saying that 87% voted in favor. At very least, the peopler who failed to vote certainly did not feel very enthusiastic about it.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
egger66 said:
That is pure guesswork. The bottom line is that the amount of the support for the proposal was far less than stated by simply saying that 87% voted in favor. At very least, the peopler who failed to vote certainly did not feel very enthusiastic about it.

How do you know this? How is this anything more than guesswork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->