63%, not 87%

Status
Not open for further replies.

egger66

It is not true that 87% of the players approved the deal. It is 87% of players who voted, not of all players. About 200 didn't bother to vote, so the actual number of players voting for the agreement was about 63%. Of course, it is impossiblle to say how the other 200 would have voted, had then be forced to make a choice.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
egger66 said:
It is not true that 87% of the players approved the deal. It is 87% of players who voted, not of all players. About 200 didn't bother to vote, so the actual number of players voting for the agreement was about 63%. Of course, it is impossiblle to say how the other 200 would have voted, had then be forced to make a choice.

A vote not cast is a meaningless vote. You count them for both sides or don't count them at all.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
egger66 said:

It's pretty safe to say that at a minimum the same percentage of players of that 200 would have voted yes. I'd wager that the "no" side would be most determined to vote and most likely nearly all of them did.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
tantalum said:
It's pretty safe to say that at a minimum the same percentage of players of that 200 would have voted yes. I'd wager that the "no" side would be most determined to vote and most likely nearly all of them did.
Indeed. Having worked in surveying and the like, a non-vote is usually a vote for the proposal. If you are against a proposal, you would vote against it rather than abstain.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Political scientists have demonstrated many times over that there is no difference in the opinions of those who vote in political elections, and those who do not. So despite low voter turnout in America, we would not have a different result even if everyone voted. We'd merely feel less guilty for not voting.

Thus, back to the CBA, there would likely be little change from the 87%.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The deal is ratified, we don't need to know these things. Let's focus our energy on hating the team who gets Crosby.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Rick Middleton said:
Indeed. Having worked in surveying and the like, a non-vote is usually a vote for the proposal. If you are against a proposal, you would vote against it rather than abstain.

I thought a non-vote was usually for the overwhelming majority. Such as, if a proposal is widely expected to fail and the vote ends up something like 80%-20%, non-votes would likely have gone overwhelmingly to the No side.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
egger66 said:

Looking at this closely, of the 87% of players who voted yes, 100% agreed to ratify the deal. :sarcasm:

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Tekneek said:
A vote not cast is a meaningless vote. You count them for both sides or don't count them at all.

Well I guess if you want to count them that way its true, but you could also say 95% of of people approve the deal if you want to count the 200 as not voting against it, so I think its kinda meaningless to look at it that way.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Realm said:
Well I guess if you want to count them that way its true, but you could also say 95% of of people approve the deal if you want to count the 200 as not voting against it, so I think its kinda meaningless to look at it that way.

Ultimately, it's meaningless to speculate about votes not given anyway. It may be fun to play with the numbers but it doesn't mean anything.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
SENSational said:
Simple arithmatic my friend. Do I need to post a link every time I say the Admirals are from Milwaukee? *Leave snide Norfolk comments outta this, please.

Realm said:
Tekneek said:

You don't count the non-voters in any election/poll. One can deduce how the 200 would have voted but they shouldn't count. The 87% sticks as far as a sourced number.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Those who didn't vote, I would surmise, were either unsure or felt the vote was lopsided enough that there was no point in their extra vote(I think by about 11 am mountain time the word was in they already had enough yes votes to pass it) '

Now, for the curious, who do you guys think voted this down?
Discuss.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
egger66 said:

They say that only a small percentage of Americans actually voted in the last election...

Does that mean Bush didn't actually win the Election because in the states he won a large majority of folks didn't vote?

Nice try.

If players don't vote, then they are letting others determine their destiny. Period.

Vote or be counted out.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The other 200 players received Florida type ballots.

Yes
No
Maybe
or
Ralph Nader

Still waiting on the results.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
AdmiralPred said:
Simple arithmatic my friend. Do I need to post a link every time I say the Admirals are from Milwaukee? *Leave snide Norfolk comments outta this, please.

We're looking for a SOURCE that says 200 players DIDN'T vote.

GSC2k2*

I was thinking last night a thread like this would be started, but I thought "nah, that would be TOO idiotic".

Guess I was wrong.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
gscarpenter2002 said:
I was thinking last night a thread like this would be started, but I thought "nah, that would be TOO idiotic".

Guess I was wrong.

Nothing is too idiotice for HFBoards.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
PitkanenPower said:
We're looking for a SOURCE that says 200 players DIDN'T vote.
Ahhh. Well just about every article talks about the 530ish who did vote (TSN, ESPN, CBS, etc...), by deduction about 200 didn't. Isn't the players union about 750 strong?

Anyway, so long as the 530ish players is the concrete number, which has been linked to in a few threads on these boards, I would say about 200 didn't vote.

By the way, MOJO just reported 30-0 owner ratification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->