OT: 61st Obsequious Banter Thread: Peppermint Fatty Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It's a non-issue to say folks need to communicate better. Whether that be in civil interactions, or the other players on the ice trying to make up for one of the gaff's by a usual teammate.

However, many of the railing against PC talk seems misguided. PC is important, especially when it actually goes to the intended target, the political apparatus. The government should not be using harsh/inappropriate/demeaning language of its citizens, residents, or constituents. Everyone else is free to say stupid stuff, but should recognize they will be judged on stupid stuff that they've said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotusflower

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This is a case of not having the whole story and I apologize. Apparently other people had gone up on the stage before this girl and omitted the word, then she even made a dumb comment after he asked her to censor herself. I was only going by Cody's summation and I have no clue who the hell Kendrick Lamar is because I'm deep into the "I'm old and everything the kids like these days is probably mindless trash" phase of my life.
My fault. I just heard them talking about it this morning on a show and didn't hear about people going up before her. That makes a bit more sense then.

Reactions: Amorgus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
It's a non-issue to say folks need to communicate better. Whether that be in civil interactions, or the other players on the ice trying to make up for one of the gaff's by a usual teammate.

However, many of the railing against PC talk seems misguided. PC is important, especially when it actually goes to the intended target, the political apparatus. The government should not be using harsh/inappropriate/demeaning language of its citizens, residents, or constituents. Everyone else is free to say stupid stuff, but should recognize they will be judged on stupid stuff that they've said.

When it comes to PC talk, I generally fall in line with George Carlin. I try not to be purposely offensive (unless joking with friends in private) but the sensitivity has gone waaaay too far lately. In my case though, I'm just another peon so what I say and do only effects a handful of people whether I'm a saint or a sinner. Thankfully I haven't gone too far out of line with anyone in ages. I feel out others' boundaries and apologize if I overstep, as I'm sure most sane people do. When you're, say, the President you should be expected to act with much more decorum at all times.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
When it comes to PC talk, I generally fall in line with George Carlin. I try not to be purposely offensive (unless joking with friends in private) but the sensitivity has gone waaaay too far lately. In my case though, I'm just another peon so what I say and do only effects a handful of people whether I'm a saint or a sinner. Thankfully I haven't gone too far out of line with anyone in ages. I feel out others' boundaries and apologize if I overstep, as I'm sure most sane people do. When you're, say, the President you should be expected to act with much more decorum at all times.
That's all anyone can ask. What you do in private, I don't care until I have to, and I'd rather not. The President is much different than the watch-repair guy I go to. Being the public face of a brand is much different than some person I overhear on the street. Comedians, artist, those that make discretionary consumable content for a profession, have a much wider birth than your political official, public servant.

For anyone who hasn't, the Ta-Nehisi YT link is a short 5 minutes and provides a quick, humorous insight into the Kendrick Lamar thing.

Also, thanks to you and @Cody Webster for back tracking your comments some. That's some of the knee jerk reaction not needed, nuance is an important thing. Fanning flames unnecessarily was derided earlier, and there was a quick example of it here on this board.

Just as attitudes toward concussions are changing, there should be some introspective thought in how people use language as well. Folks were not sensitive to bell-ringers and stars before, just as they weren't sensitive to certain words or topics being used. But now is not then, and things are different.

Now for some fun (unless it offends you)-

Reactions: Amorgus

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
While I completely understand the gist of the discussion about frustrations with different groups getting offended by lots of seemingly minor things, at the same time as presumably white males (by the gist of the conversation, this seems like a fair assumption), we should at least acknowledge that our perspective limits our ability to see things the way many of these groups do. They are people that have felt excluded for a long time and while many times they take extremist stances on seemingly dumb things, I still think for the most part that is an overall positive contribution to the issues at hand
y'all would have loved the conversation I had with a friend [whitey] recently about how he should stop using the word f@g. Every stupid clichéd excuse in the book was trotted out. Embarrassing.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
That's all anyone can ask. What you do in private, I don't care until I have to, and I'd rather not. The President is much different than the watch-repair guy I go to. Being the public face of a brand is much different than some person I overhear on the street. Comedians, artist, those that make discretionary consumable content for a profession, have a much wider birth than your political official, public servant.

For anyone who hasn't, the Ta-Nehisi YT link is a short 5 minutes and provides a quick, humorous insight into the Kendrick Lamar thing.

Also, thanks to you and @Cody Webster for back tracking your comments some. That's some of the knee jerk reaction not needed, nuance is an important thing. Fanning flames unnecessarily was derided earlier, and there was a quick example of it here on this board.

Just as attitudes toward concussions are changing, there should be some introspective thought in how people use language as well. Folks were not sensitive to bell-ringers and stars before, just as they weren't sensitive to certain words or topics being used. But now is not then, and things are different.

Now for some fun (unless it offends you)-

Having half the story because of clickbait and soundbytes is an even bigger danger to discourse. Sometimes even I need a reminder to look at the details before trusting the source.

Sorry I have to keep kicking you when you're down Cody but my kicks are probably pretty weak anyway. :laugh:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Nope. What is happening is common sense and our ability to communicate openly, honestly, and accurately are being hijacked by people with agendas. These issues need to be discussed out in the open if they are ever going to be tackled and eradicated. The way that people are going about this is the wrong way. There is the stink of McCarthyism in the air around it - don't misunderstand what I am saying, I am not equating the two exactly - I am saying there is the whiff of the same kind of misguided culture of blame and accusation in the air, and it's ugly.

Having said all that, I have been away for a long time and have to see it first-hand to know for sure. I just know that political correctness is a bane to our ability to communicate, and as such is inherently wrong.

Cap, bro. Youve been in Asia too long. When has this ever been the norm in America? Especially with the groups in question.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
y'all would have loved the conversation I had with a friend [whitey] recently about how he should stop using the word f@g. Every stupid clichéd excuse in the book was trotted out. Embarrassing.
I wish half these words could be deleted from my memory but I didn't grow up in the most tolerant neighborhood. Trying to not make a racist joke for a cheap laugh when my black cousins were visiting was a challenge as a little kid but its better to learn sooner than later. I didn't meet any gays until one of my high school friends came out and I had to go through the same thing over again. I never in a million years intentionally verbally attacked these people, just stupid lazy bro jokes slipped out.

My remaining problem is generalized Tourette's when playing video games, driving, or injuring myself. If nobody's around there's going to be a meaningless word salad of every horrible word that is no longer allowed in polite society. If someone is around I'm going to be squealing and convulsing as I hold in the verbal bile. My niece and nephew got to see this phenomenon as we were running late to see Infinity War and I almost turned inside out trying to censor myself, which is one of the funniest things they've ever seen.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It's just me, because EVERYONE I talked to loved Deadpool (I'm talking about the first one). I thought it was completely unfunny and I hated it.

So my answer would be, NAY!!!

Big time internet high-five!

Everyone talked about how they loved it. After a year, I gave it a shot to make my Prague-Vienna bus trip a bit more entertaining. I hated that bus ride.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Another one to add to the offended list: Kendrick Lamar....

At a music festival in Alabama and he pulls a white girl up on stage to sing a song with him. He has her sing the chorus and within that chorus is the "n" word, she sings it, and now he's upset.

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read. :laugh:

And this was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever watched.

The idiot contradicts himself in such a short period of time.

He says “Words don’t have meaning without context” and then ignores that saying that word while singing along with song lyrics means the context is non-racist.

Not to mention the other stupidity he tossed out there.

What an idiot.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have gotten to the point where I can throw away my dishes instead of washing them. WOO!

Problem is, the stupid Expedia website won't accept my credit card for some reason, so I can't buy my ticket from Tokyo to St. Louis. And I have to cancel my bank account before I leave here, so I can't use that credit card. And I can't find a prepaid Visa to get so I can load it with yen and not have to carry wads of cash or travelers' checks around like Burt Reynolds or somebody in the 1970s.

Meh, don't care. Three more days and I'm out. WOO!

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read. :laugh:

And this was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever watched.

The idiot contradicts himself in such a short period of time.

He says “Words don’t have meaning without context” and then ignores that saying that word while singing along with song lyrics means the context is non-racist.

Not to mention the other stupidity he tossed out there.

What an idiot.
Go read the whole story about the Kendrick Lamar thing before you make yourself look like an ass like I did. The summation you quoted leaves out some important details.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
OK, it's time for us all to be honest about a simple truth:

"Run Away" by The Real McCoy is the ideal theme song for The Matrix and the Wachowskis badly f***ed up by not featuring it heavily throughout the trilogy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Go read the whole story about the Kendrick Lamar thing before you make yourself look like an ass like I did. The summation you quoted leaves out some important details.
I was talking about the example given by the girl in the video.

I couldn’t care less if the Kendrick Lamar thing was true or not.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Amazon apparently, in the wake of Best Buy killing off their awesome GCU membership, has been making it so that PS4 exclusive games are not able to be pre-ordered by any means. I think it's to skirt around their 20% off for pre-orders/new games thing... what a bag of dicks. You pay, what, $120 a month, and they still get to dick you around like that? f*** that.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm sadly finding that the vast majority of new games aren't worth preordering anyway. Horizon Zero Dawn wass probably the last AAA title that didn't let me down. The latest is God of War because it's NOT God of War at all. It's Horizon and The Last of Us mashed together just because they are two of the best games on the system and the developers are cowards. The game isn't terrible but it's almost a whole different genre than the original games, which rarely is a good idea to do. The only game I can think of that I thought got better by changing the formula that drastically is Jak II.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh OK I haven't watched the video and thought you were referring to both things.
Nope.

In the video there’s some college white girl SJW who’s distressed because there was a rap concert at their college and she had white friends who were singing along to a song that included a ton of “banned” words. She asked what she should do about it and the idiot giving the talk started off his answer by saying words have no meaning without context (which is 100% correct) but then contradicted himself a minute later and also spewed some other ignorant nonsense.

It’s only a few minutes long but it’s a great example of how stupid these people are. Both the people who are trying to brainwash these gullible kids and the kids who unfortunately fall for it. It’s honestly more depressing than anything else.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
Yeah lump me in with the "if you're offended by a sound I make with my face, you're part of he problem..."

I'm ginger as f*** and have been picked on, shot down, spat on, kicked/punched, bullied and laughed at my entire life. I wore a hat pretty much every waking minute I was outside my house during my teens and twenties, and contemplated suicide because even though I was a young white male (apparently everything is just sunshine and rainbows for these folks) I didn't fit in, and not one group would come to my defense because i'm 1.5% of the population - good luck forming a social justice group with those numbers... but you know what it did to me?

Gave me a thick f***ing skin.

Now a days if some jackass yells something Ginger related as i'm walking down the street, I give 'em credit and laugh if I haven't actually heard it before.

Reactions: Jray42 and Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You have a serious axe to grind against "SJW's."
So should everyone who values common sense.

People saying stupid things is annoying... people saying stupid things and then slowly starting to get their way, because equally stupid cowards appease their unbelievable nonsense, is an actual problem.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So should everyone who values common sense.

People saying stupid things is annoying... people saying stupid things and then slowly starting to get their way, because equally stupid cowards appease their unbelievable nonsense, is an actual problem.

Dont get me wrong, actual SJWs usually do more harm than good when it comes to making progess on civil rights issues.

Its important to note that there is a difference between civil rights activists and SJWs though.

Reactions: Ruck Over
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad