OT: 60th Obsequious Banter Thread: Some Guy Named Nate Raduns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yikes. You probably have to draw a line in the sand with her then..but tread lightly. Hell hath no fury..

I hate to admit that i would leave my girlfriend in a heart beat for her.

not because my girlfriend isn't amazing, because she is, but the thing with this girl? I just have never experienced chemistry like this before.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Ok Gents, i need your help because i feel like i'm losing my mind:

Back in July i fell for a girl, we went on a date and she told me she wanted to continue to see me, but other people as well. i put an end to it because I knew it would end poorly for me. We stopped talking because i really felt like she misled me, and i wanted to move on.

We lose a mutual friend to suicide in October, so we reconnect. A few weeks later I verify that we are just friends, and she says that we are (cool, works for me!) We finally start hanging out again, and she starts talking about how much fun she's having (at this point i'm seeing someone else, but she doesn't know about it).

2 weeks ago, i meet her best friend, and her best friend drunkenly tells me that she's crazy about me.

So, i bring it up to her. She tells me that she's never been able to reconcile her feelings for me because I put too much pressure on it (i disagree, but i'll accept that). Her words are "do i see you differently than other people? yes. Am i curious about it? Yes. But i've never had a chance to figure it out without feeling like I have to recoil."

So i tell her that we're just going to be friends. Things go well for a few days where it seems like a legitimate friendship, but she texts me ALL day. She has told me that she is a text ****e and texts everyone all day, though, so I don't read into it.

We hang out and I make a joke about liking her better when she's drunk because she actually "likes me then." She said "i like you all the time."

Two nights ago she is referring to me as love, and baby. So i ask her if she's drunk and she says no. I end the conversation there.

The last few days she's been talking to me about her ex coming back in her life and some other guy that's really into her. And i'm really trying to back away and not respond to her as often, but she'll message me when i don't respond.

its kind of driving me up the wall, because I want to preserve the friendship, and i'm obviously in love with her, but I don't feel like she's allowing me to.

Its been a struggle because i DO love talking to her all day. Its fun for me.

Assuming you like your actual girlfriend, I'd probably continue backing away. She seems like a very unstable person to be in a relationship with.

Obviously by mentioning the other guys she's trying to make you jealous and commit to her while she's still "available", but those guys still exist and I'd imagine if the roles were reversed you wouldn't be very excited to be in their situation.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Assuming you like your actual girlfriend, I'd probably continue backing away. She seems like a very unstable person to be in a relationship with.

Obviously by mentioning the other guys she's trying to make you jealous and commit to her while she's still "available", but those guys still exist and I'd imagine if the roles were reversed you wouldn't be very excited to be in their situation.

Absolutely. Just to add to this Hexa, you would never, ever be in control of that relationship. I don't mean dominance - I mean 50/50 shared control. She has it and these feints are just as MR28 said - bait. She wants you, but once she has you she is going to cast her eye around. I've known a hundred million girls like this and I fell for them every time until I just stopped caring altogether. It's a disaster. This chemistry you are feeling - which I know is real, because if your delightful ass likes her and gets along with her, she must have the charisma going - is like a drug, or like cheeseburgers: tasty as a m*********er, but empty calories. The whole thing is a siren song and the only way to plug your ears to it is to repeat to yourself: "Life is not a Disney cartoon." I know this because I had to do it, over and over and over. I am a dead sucker for flakes like this, or I was, and they are catastrophes waiting to happen. The sooner you create distance, the sooner you will be over it. The good thing is you have someone to turn to now, to distract you - focus on the gf as much as you can.

Remember: brain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> heart

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tasty-burger.gif

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I hate to admit that i would leave my girlfriend in a heart beat for her.

not because my girlfriend isn't amazing, because she is, but the thing with this girl? I just have never experienced chemistry like this before.

Best of luck to u hex ur in a tough spot. Honesty is the best policy If there is something I want I go for it so I don't ever have that what if feeling in the back of my mind but that's just me.

A wise person told me u will know when u find the "1" because they will put u first above everyone and everything else and the fact she would want to see other people tells me she isn't serious and walk away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amorgus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man... I really really tried to like The Punisher but, like Stranger Things, the dialog and the line delivery just killed me. Had to give up on it 9 episodes in..

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man... I really really tried to like The Punisher but, like Stranger Things, the dialog and the line delivery just killed me. Had to give up on it 9 episodes in..

Stop watching TV altogether :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's lots of shows I do/did like, so it's not that I'm impossible to please. It's just that there's certain things I can't look past... painfully cliche dialog is one of them.

The dialogue isn't painfully cliche though. It's probably the most well-written Marvel show so far.

At least your player evaluations are on point though :laugh::thumbu:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They’re fortunately making a second season of The Punisher. There’s been some people/news outlets that complained about the nature of the show so I wasn’t sure if it was a shoe-in to get renewed given all the sensitivity these days.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The dialogue isn't painfully cliche though. It's probably the most well-written Marvel show so far.

At least your player evaluations are on point though :laugh::thumbu:

I never watched the other Marvel TV shows, so I can't comment on that.

But I put up with this one for as long as I could. Then the straw that broke the camels back was "Every time I close my eyes, I see..." and I just flipped my desk and jumped out the window. :laugh:

Also doesn't help that I don't like John Bernthal.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Have I mentioned how amazing Mr. Robot is?

S3, E10 was a friggin masterpiece!

That finale was everything I was hoping for and more. So many sneaky callbacks to past seasons throughout the episode and some answers to questions I never even thought we would ever get. Not to mention answers to questions that didn't actually exist until they were answered haha. f***ing fantastic season of television.

Irving is an absolute savage too. Probably my favorite character on tv right now.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Also doesn't help that I don't like John Bernthal.

I just started Punisher, so I'm a few episodes in. Is it me or does Bernthal sound almost exactly like Rick from the Walking Dead? Like he basically copied Andrew Lincoln's acting voice from Rick and made it his own. At least when he's actually talking and not grunting/grumbling through his dialogue. That's my only complaint so far. Otherwise it's a solid show. The 4k HDR helps too...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just started Punisher, so I'm a few episodes in. Is it me or does Bernthal sound almost exactly like Rick from the Walking Dead? Like he basically copied Andrew Lincoln's acting voice from Rick and made it his own. At least when he's actually talking and not grunting/grumbling through his dialogue. That's my only complaint so far. Otherwise it's a solid show. The 4k HDR helps too...
Yeah, not a fan of the grumbling either.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Ok Gents, i need your help because i feel like i'm losing my mind:

Back in July i fell for a girl, we went on a date and she told me she wanted to continue to see me, but other people as well. i put an end to it because I knew it would end poorly for me. We stopped talking because i really felt like she misled me, and i wanted to move on.

Its been a struggle because i DO love talking to her all day. Its fun for me.

This is classic "When Harry Met Sally" material. Since you asked the peanut gallery, the solicited advice is continue to back away. Right now, you're able to flirt and have low stakes fun with this woman. However, if you haven't told your current gf that the two of you are friends, or have had an activity where the three of you were present with each other (could include others- think Escape Room but not a large music concert) then what you're doing is kinda like cheating.

Dudes and dudettes seldom make good friends if there isn't a familial, work, or intimate relationship involved (those are all separate of each other, none of them intended to be in conjunction with another.)

Bird in hand, current gf; vs, bird in bush, hand-shake agreement female friend.

But what do I know? I have maybe 4 women (non-family, work (2)) I would consider friends, and now that two of them are married, would typically defer to contacting their husbands whom I consider friends as well.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
There's lots of shows I do/did like, so it's not that I'm impossible to please. It's just that there's certain things I can't look past... painfully cliche dialog is one of them.
What shows do you like? Survivor? The Voice?
I can't think of a show that I've seen you say that you've enjoyed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What shows do you like? Survivor? The Voice?
I can't think of a show that I've seen you say that you've enjoyed.

Here's some TV shows I've watched and enjoyed.

In no order:

Mr Robot
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
The Shield
True Detective (the first season, not the second)
House of Cards
The Following
Dexter
Homeland
The Newsroom
South Park
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Key and Peele
Hell on Wheels
Suits
Parks and Recreation
Better Call Saul
The Man in the High Castle
American Dad
Billions
Silicon Valley
Mad Men
Mindhunter

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

In no order:

Mr Robot
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
The Shield
House of Cards
The Following
Dexter
Homeland
The Newsroom
South Park
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Key and Peele
Hell on Wheels
Suits
Parks and Recreation
Better Call Saul
The Man in the High Castle
American Dad
Billions
Silicon Valley
Mad Men
Mindhunter

You forgot South Park and Eastbound & Down

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I actually have not seen most of those somehow.
The pacific was such a letdown compared to band of brothers. It felt like they spent 1/10th of the series in war and 9/10ths as a love story. It's one of the few shows I started and have not finished.
I don't get the love for true detective. I thought it was unnecessarily weird and generally just not that good.
SoA was pretty decent for the first season, and then I had to stop watching after the huge shootout from a mere few feet away where no one got hit.
Does anything actually happen on better call Saul? It feels like that show goes no where.
I liked Silicon Valley but I cannot stand the main character in the slightest. At all.
If you liked Band of Brothers, give generation Kill a shot. It's another HBO miniseries. I think I watch it once a year. I wasn't special forces or anything but it's pretty close to enlisted life.

Dexter and Breaking Bad are my 1A/1B favorite shows. I don't know if anything will top them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You forgot South Park and Eastbound & Down

South Park is right in the middle of the list. ;)

Don't know what that other show is.

I actually have not seen most of those somehow.
The pacific was such a letdown compared to band of brothers. It felt like they spent 1/10th of the series in war and 9/10ths as a love story. It's one of the few shows I started and have not finished.
I don't get the love for true detective. I thought it was unnecessarily weird and generally just not that good.
SoA was pretty decent for the first season, and then I had to stop watching after the huge shootout from a mere few feet away where no one got hit.
Does anything actually happen on better call Saul? It feels like that show goes no where.
I liked Silicon Valley but I cannot stand the main character in the slightest. At all.
If you liked Band of Brothers, give generation Kill a shot. It's another HBO miniseries. I think I watch it once a year. I wasn't special forces or anything but it's pretty close to enlisted life.

Dexter and Breaking Bad are my 1A/1B favorite shows. I don't know if anything will top them.

-Yeah, but honestly there was no chance they could have matched Band of Brothers.
-First season of True Detective was pretty good, I thought. Watched two episodes of the 2nd season and decided not to go further.
-SoA wasn't anything special, but I was entertained enough to finish the show.
-Better Call Saul has been slow, but I still like it.
-I know what you mean about Silicon Valley, he does get a bit annoying. Really disappointed that TJ Miller left the show...
-Never heard of that show, but I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I've noticed that there is no sci-fi, horror, or fantasy shows on your list. That would lead me to think that anything that's not relatively grounded in reality isn't going to be your cup of tea.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I've noticed that there is no sci-fi, horror, or fantasy shows on your list. That would lead me to think that anything that's not relatively grounded in reality isn't going to be your cup of tea.

The Man in the High Castle is most certainly scifi!

Mr. Robot is speculative fiction.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

In no order:

Mr Robot
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
The Pacific

The Shield
House of Cards

The Following
Dexter
Homeland
The Newsroom

South Park
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Key and Peele
Hell on Wheels

Suits