$600 for a power steering pump

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My car is an 07 Grand Caravan (sexy, huh?) that I took in for an oil change the other day. While there I mentioned it was making a loud whirring noise, especially after going down the interstate for awhile and then when I turned the wheel. My mechanic changes the oil and gives me two estimates because from where the sound is coming from he couldn't definitively say which the problem was. $1100 for new rack and pinion, or $600 for a power steering pump.

Over half the cost of the pump was labor.

I've replaced power steering pumps before, and I couldn't recall them ever being this big of a pain in the butt, so I googled the bejeezus out of this when I got home. For starters, yeah, apparently changing the power steering pump in my caravan is a pain in the butt and can be time consuming (though one youtuber shortened the process substantially by finding a way to take the thing out from the top and passing it along the back of the engine).

I also stumbled on a lot of posts of people having similar problems, and fixing it by replacing the power steering reservoir. There is a little screen in the bottom of the reservoir that gums up and impedes flow enough to starve the steering pump of fluid. Leading to the whirring sound. Or as one person call it, a moaning. I couldn't honestly say my car was moaning at my touch.

$30 and some scraped knuckles later I got the reservoir changed and the whirring sound has disappeared. The steering is also more responsive. Just thought I'd report on my little adventure and give a heads up to anyone who might find themselves with a similar problem. Also, it just doesn't hurt to google these things before committing to any sort of repair that sounds the least bit iffy.

Reactions: rynryn

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
out of warranty it's always a great idea to look that stuff up. even if it doesn't end up being "best case" and the $30 fix doesn't work it's well worth the gamble if it looks likely. Thanks for posting! I've found garages and dealers like to charge diagnostic fees (for the code reading etc) for a lot of stuff when you know exactly what the problem is.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Had this issue on a vehicle in the Grand Caravan family that we used as a company car (exactly as you described, whirring at highway speeds and when you turned the wheel). It was the wheel bearing though. Vehicle was newer (2011 or 2012), but I don't imagine it changed much. There is so many dumb little things like this on this Chrysler piece of shits, so I'm really not surprised by a mechanic misdiagnosing it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Good job !(seriously)

Would of sucked to pay that only to find out the pump wasn't bad and instead the reservoir was just getting clogged up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad