6 Positives from a Down Season

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
not bad.

D-Cat is good news.

Hayden and Hino are as well good news of a lesser sort. maybe Kampf too.

Going forward, I think Osterle is a modest bit of good news. is he a 1st pairing guy? Of course not. Not a 2nd pairing guy either. But he is young, cheap, and doubtless a 3rd pairing guy of some value. This was unexpected.

Getting DuClair is maybe a bit of lesser, but still, good news.

The Hawks have a nucleus of reasonable, cheap, and potentially effective depth guys (Osterle on D; Hino. Hayden, Kampf) and one guy who is a top 6 (D-Cat) of merit.

That is all OK.

But we are 2 --- at a minimum --- and really 3 top 4 D-men short on this roster. We are also one top 6 scorer Short. Apart from getting these 4 guys in, the Hawks are a long way away from any sort of competitive play in the future. Sure, the good news is depth and lesser, cheap guys (Hino, Hayden, Kampf, Osterle) --- but those needs are much much lesser than getting the 4 guys we need.

And here is the bad news. We have no one in the system to be those players (at least any time soon). Worse still, we have no resources (Cap Space) to get such players in.

So... sure there is some good news... but it is overwhelmed by the bad news....

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It hasn't helped that Q has hindered the progress of Kempny and to a lesser extent, Murphy. The HC if he stays needs to have more confidence in Murphy by playing him more than 15 minutes a game.

I think bringing in the right veteran dman (easier said than done I know) would make a world of difference in the back end.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Won't we have quite a bit of cap space next year? 5.25mil from Hossa, 3+mil from Panarin bonus, Hartman, Hino, Duclair, won't cost us much at all, under or around 1-1.5mil for each I imagine. No major raises needed, and the cap is likely to go up a few million.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I believe Hawks will have 12-13m in cap space if they move Anisimov for picks/prospects and cap goes up 5-7m. With Hartman, Hino, Duke and Hayden to re-sign, which shouldn't cost much.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
not bad.

D-Cat is good news.

Hayden and Hino are as well good news of a lesser sort. maybe Kampf too.

Going forward, I think Osterle is a modest bit of good news. is he a 1st pairing guy? Of course not. Not a 2nd pairing guy either. But he is young, cheap, and doubtless a 3rd pairing guy of some value. This was unexpected.

Getting DuClair is maybe a bit of lesser, but still, good news.

The Hawks have a nucleus of reasonable, cheap, and potentially effective depth guys (Osterle on D; Hino. Hayden, Kampf) and one guy who is a top 6 (D-Cat) of merit.

That is all OK.

But we are 2 --- at a minimum --- and really 3 top 4 D-men short on this roster. We are also one top 6 scorer Short. Apart from getting these 4 guys in, the Hawks are a long way away from any sort of competitive play in the future. Sure, the good news is depth and lesser, cheap guys (Hino, Hayden, Kampf, Osterle) --- but those needs are much much lesser than getting the 4 guys we need.

And here is the bad news. We have no one in the system to be those players (at least any time soon). Worse still, we have no resources (Cap Space) to get such players in.

So... sure there is some good news... but it is overwhelmed by the bad news....
excellent write up. :clap:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Here's one positive. I don't have to look at those ugly ass collars longer than I have to.

Good point. What were the designers thinking?

I probably should have mentioned Schmaltz in the article. He often pisses me off in games but sometimes it is easy to forget just how young he is.

Last edited:

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Corey Crawford, who played 28 games, and John Hayden, who managed a couple more before being punted to the AHL, are the bright spots of the year because NARRATIVE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad