Post-Game Talk: #6 | Panthers 1 at FLYERS 5 | Tue. Oct. 17, 7:00 pm ET

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
So if we continue to win and play really well, you're still going to go full-force in getting those two into the lineup?

We're winning with this lineup. Why complicate things?

Remember: Players don't have careers ruined by being brought up late -- only too early. Just chill, it'll come.

Ha, I knew a nonsense reply like this was coming.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We keep saying, "If the team keeps playing as well as it has," but this team has an awful lot of warts that are being propped up by a 105 PDO. They're shooting over 10% at ES on the year. That's completely unsustainable.

Winning does not mean everything is being maximized. We really should be beyond that thinking in 2017.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hagg can give us 8 seasons where he averages 3-15 18 +12, 140 blks, is a staple on the PK and plays steady defense, that would be just fine.

Reactions: BernieParent

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The reality is development is very random. Some kids peak while others explode. The majority of draft picks don’t pan out regardless of what you do. You also know it’s a cliched response when guys like Luke Schenn are cited as examples for guys being rushed as reason why he didn’t pan out like people had hoped.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We keep saying, "If the team keeps playing as well as it has," but this team has an awful lot of warts that are being propped up by a 105 PDO. They're shooting over 10% at ES on the year. That's completely unsustainable.

Winning does not mean everything is being maximized. We really should be beyond that thinking in 2017.
No, that's impossible.

The fact that they've won these games means Hakstol is a genius. Everything he's done has been proven to be correct. We can't even debate it anymore.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
6 games with unsustainable results and some people turn into exactly what they accuse Penguins or Leafs fans of being. No one is salty the team is winning. I hope Robert Hagg doxxes me in his HHoF speech if it means he gets in.

It's not sustainable to win this way. Hopefully they keep improving as a young team should.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
So if we continue to win and play really well, you're still going to go full-force in getting those two into the lineup?

We're winning with this lineup. Why complicate things?

Remember: Players don't have careers ruined by being brought up late -- only too early. Just chill, it'll come.

"The Flyers just made it to the Stanley Cup Final with Michael Leighton as their goalie. Why complicate things?"

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah the sooner Sanheim is in for Manning and hits his stride, the better. We all know what a confident Sanheim is capable of doing.

Hint: its a lot more than Manning.
Yep, now is actually the perfect time to get Sanheim in.

Better to have him get acclimated when the team is on fire and can tolerate a few bumps in the road than when the team is slumping and is trying to break out of it. Right now they're feeling good and playing good, let the kid ride that wave too.

If they can carry Manning they can carry a rookie.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Do you think Brandon Manning is the difference between the team winning and not winning?
Is this a fact? Can you prove this please?

1) Nope. I also don't think Sanheim/Morin are that difference either. I'm all for long-term thinking, but again, it isn't the worst thing ever if they weren't in the top 6 by the end of the year. It's really not.

2) Didn't say it was a fact, but sure. Can you personally name someone who you went "Ah, they would've been so good if they had just been brought up earlier"

I know many cases of players where they were brought up before ready and had careers ruined (generally-accepted opinion). Not saying that'll happen with these two of course, though. Point is: the world isn't ending if these two aren't starting by end of the season. I get the Manning/McD hate = Manning sucks and McD is barely an NHL defensemen. Can't wait for them to be gone...BUT, we're playing terrific hockey. If Sanheim's in, awesome. If not, NBD to me. Just my opinion, you don't have to share it of course.

Alright, who's up next with the "Man, this guy is stupid" reply? Puttem uppp puttem upppppp

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
"The Flyers just made it to the Stanley Cup Final with Michael Leighton as their goalie. Why complicate things?"

If you had said "The Flyers just beat the Canadiens and with Michael Leighton as their goalie, but Ray Emery is healthy. Why complicate things?" then yes, what you said would make sense as a comparison to what I said.

This is not the same thing. When you're in a middle of a run, you keep it going if it's working. Note that my original post said "If we keep playing like this..."

That's a BIG if. IF we do continue this way for 20 more games, I don't know why anyone would want to jeopardize whatever insane chemistry that's been formed.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's a BIG if. IF we do continue this way for 20 more games, I don't know why anyone would want to jeopardize whatever insane chemistry that's been formed.

I can only speak for myself, but the reason I would still want to change it at that point is that Sanheim is our future, and Brandogmanbearpig is not, and I want him (Sanheim) to get as much NHL seasoning this season as possible. Same with Morin. We aren't winning anything this year, and while it's fine to stress the importance of making the playoffs and getting the young guys some playoff experience, I think it's far more important to blood the young D as much as possible now, when the pressure is off them and we have room to absorb the errors they make through the natural process of growing into NHLers.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If you had said "The Flyers just beat the Canadiens and with Michael Leighton as their goalie, but Ray Emery is healthy. Why complicate things?" then yes, what you said would make sense as a comparison to what I said.

This is not the same thing. When you're in a middle of a run, you keep it going if it's working. Note that my original post said "If we keep playing like this..."

The difference is at least Leighton had multiple shutouts against the Canadiens, meanwhile Manning doesn't justify his spot in the lineup. Admittedly, using a goalie was bad for my analogy. I should have used making the SCF with Lukas Krajicek instead.

Manning (and MacDonald) are known mediocre commodities. While the start of the season is encouraging, I highly question how much of a positive impact Manning has on any chemistry forming.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is all silliness.
Sanheim wouldn't be on the team if they weren't planning on playing him, he'd be in the AHL.
This is just a couple games where they're giving him the extra work and coaching treatment, basesd on stuff they've seen his first couple games, to get him up to NHL speed.
He's going to be in the starting lineup pretty soon, and once he hits his stride, he ain't coming out.

Morin is a little different, with Provorov and Ghost on the left side, there's only one spot left, and gee, you want Sanheim in the lineup, well, he'd have to play RD to do so if Morin comes up, and they have to be confident he can handle that in the NHL. If MacDonald keeps playing well, and the team is winning, I don't think they're gonna want to bench him to start 3 rookie defensemen down the stretch run with two playing on their off hand.

But it's a long season, crap happens. So it's possible Morin comes up, it's possible Myers jumps ahead of him b/c he's RH, it's possible that Friedman who's about the same age as Morin makes a big jump.

Don't touch that dial!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No coach will ever take that attitude, especially when a team is 4-2 and trouncing its opponents.
And if the goalies hold up, this team has a legitimate shot at 100+ points.

Of course the coach won't have that mindset, and neither will the players, and of course I wouldn't wish for them to have that mindset. Management has to have a longer-term view than that, though, obviously.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I can only speak for myself, but the reason I would still want to change it at that point is that Sanheim is our future, and Brandogmanbearpig is not, and I want him (Sanheim) to get as much NHL seasoning this season as possible. Same with Morin. We aren't winning anything this year, and while it's fine to stress the importance of making the playoffs and getting the young guys some playoff experience, I think it's far more important to blood the young D as much as possible now, when the pressure is off them and we have room to absorb the errors they make through the natural process of growing into NHLers.

I appreciate the well thought-out response rather than the popular "LULZ THIS MORON DOESN'T UNDERSTAND LONG-TERM THOUGHT PROCESSES."

Totally understand your thoughts here. I think your reasoning makes a ton of sense. I can go either way for the most part, but I genuinely don't believe even if they stayed out, it'd kill their progress curve. Like someone else had mentioned before though, development isn't the same for everyone so perhaps I'm being short-sighted (or, I'm dead-on).

Time will tell, friends!

P.S. It's probably dangerous to assume we can't win anything this year. Now if you asked me to put money on it, I'd agree with you, but you just never know. No reason to throw in the towel when your team is playing this well and has legitimate talent in the lineup.

Reactions: joez86

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
P.S. It's probably dangerous to assume we can't win anything this year. Now if you asked me to put money on it, I'd agree with you, but you just never know. No reason to throw in the towel when your team is playing this well and has legitimate talent in the lineup.

That's true, but I just don't see any way in the world that replacing Mandog (or Amacdog) with one of these guys constitutes throwing in the towel - if anything, we would be "going for it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad