5th greatest of all-time vs Big 4

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know there's 4 or 5 potential candidates for the 5th spot , but i'm wondering how big a difference is there between this guy and the Top 4.Like is the difference as big as the difference between the 70th and 40th of all-time or something like that.Is it possible the more you approach the top of the list the bigger the gap between players since they are in a league of their own?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think of it as the top 4 players are all relatively close together.

Then spots 5-10 are pretty close IMO (Bobby Hull, Jean Beliveau, Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey, Howie Morenz, Ray Bourque in some order).

But yes, the farther down you go, the less the difference becomes. The difference between Gretzky and Beliveau is probably greater than the difference between the 50th best player and 100th best player.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Bobby Hull is my 5th guy of all time ( he gets forgotten by some guys due to the WHA years IMO, but most guys on this board recognize his greatness)) and I know it's really early but I see Sid the Kid making a run at him health permitting.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Bobby Hull is my 5th guy of all time ( he gets forgotten by some guys due to the WHA years IMO, but most guys on this board recognize his greatness)) and I know it's really early but I see Sid the Kid making a run at him health permitting.

While you and I seem to disagree a lot on these types of discussions (mostly new players vs old) I don't think its out of the question that Crosby or Ovechkin (or some upcoming star we've not seen yet) could take a spot from 5-8. Both Crosby and Ovechkin are accumulating some nice seasons behind them through only 5 years of play. 1-4 seem way out of reach though, given how each would need to win multiple Art Ross and Hart trophies (and some Con Smythes wouldn't hurt) to really be in the discussion for 1-4. I don't mean multiples in their careers - I mean multiples from where they are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad