Prospect Info: 5th - 137: Wings select Jordan Sambrook (D)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 29s29 seconds ago
#RedWings take D Jordan Sambrook (Erie) in 5th round (137). 6-2, 186. Shoots R. Red Line: Unsung d-man is one of RLR’s favorite sleepers.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I am not a scout by any means. But I did have Jordan Sambrook as a potential guy for us to consider in the 2016 NHL Draft thread.

Brock, who is a real deal prospect hound had this to say about Sambrook:

Jordan Sambrook - Erie Otters
Has been an incredibly valuable member of the Otters in his rookie season. At different points this year, Sambrook has drawn considerable ice time, filling in for the likes of Travis Dermott, Erik Cernak, and T.J. Fergus. At the beginning of the year, Sambrook looked great in the top four before the arrival of Cernak. But he slipped to the 3rd pairing when the Otters got to full strength. However, with T.J. Fergus ill, Sambrook has jumped back into the top four and his production has again increased (nearly a point per game in February). Bottom line, when he's been called upon, Sambrook has been stellar. There's a lot to like about his game. He's got good size, is not afraid to play physical, and has shown the ability to move the puck and even quarterback the powerplay. There's no doubt that the eyes of scouts have been on Erie this year, and that means there's also no doubt that they've had a chance to see Sambrook show his stuff.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sleeper Alert

Jordan Sambrook, D – Erie (OHL): The Otters are deep and deadly this season, but keep an eye out for Sambrook. He’s 6-foot-2, moves well and has a nice shot from the blueline. Hard to believe he was playing AAA minor hockey last year and is now part of the best team in the CHL.

-The Hockey News

137 JORDAN SAMBROOK
POSITION: Defense
SHOOTS: Right
TEAM: Erie (OHL)
BORN: April 11, 1998
VITALS: 6’-2” / 185 Lbs
STATS: 67 GP 9 G 18 A 27 PTS 40 PIM
Sambrook is an all-situations defender who shows off his versatility nearly every shift. He is a strong backward skater as he digs in and makes good use of edges, adding more to each push and stride. His pivots are smooth, quick and effective; however, he can get beat to the inside as he pivots to keep up with his man. He makes a strong first pass on the breakout to his man in the neutral zone, getting the puck through the lane with urgency. When the long outlet isn’t available, Sambrook has the sense to know he needs to make the short and simple passes to move the puck forward. He’s not one to drive forward in possession as he makes that hard outlet pass, instead limiting his overall offensive impact and potential. When he is manning the point, he makes good reads and knows when it is best to pinch and keep the puck in the zone, getting it to his man in the corner. He uses his reach very well on the outside as he defends the attacker on entry, using his reach to limit the gap and swipe the puck off the stick when he is able to do so effectively. In retrieval, Sambrook needs to be careful he doesn’t get too comfortable and unaware of a man coming behind him. There were a few plays this season when he got complacent with a slow retrieval and lost foot races for pucks as he didn’t realize the man was coming on. This third-pairing D-man on a deep Otters squad is a raw, underrated defender who has good upside. NHL POTENTIAL: Bottom-Four Two-Way Defenseman

Future Considerations

Two-way blue-liner that Red Line loves as one of the real sleepers in this draft. His game is so simple and mistake-free, and he just makes intelligent plays and sound decisions all across the ice. Plays with so much maturity and poise -- patient and calm under heavy forechecking pressure. Always positioned well. Likes to handle and skate with the puck, and uses head feints to shake checkers. Willing to move up into offensive flow. Shows surprising patience moving down the slot and firing top-shelf wristers. Defensively aware and always picks up the right man in coverage. Never flashy, but extremely steady and reliable. Tall with a lean, athletic frame. Hits, skates, and moves the puck smartly. Pivots and edging are clean, and his lateral agility is strong. Has the footwork to stick with quicker forwards down low, and the strength to pin and seal men along the walls and win battles."

Red Line Report

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Little bit of a "Larkin" type situation going on here.

As in, Larkin was stuck behind Eichel, and thus was overshadowed. Our scouts really liked Larkin and were thrilled he fell that far.

Hoping for a similar situation with Sambrook. Also like how a few of our posters were hoping for this guy before he was taken (was that FRK IT and a few others? don't remember)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You guys got a real steal here. I know the family very well. Great kid and his determination and attitude alone will push him to make the wings one day. I also helped coach his team when he was younger.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You guys got a real steal here. I know the family very well. Great kid and his determination and attitude alone will push him to make the wings one day. I also helped coach his team when he was younger.

Thanks about this.

Another right-hander I'm always a little bit more thrilled about. :)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Good. We can blame you if he busts ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad