Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Why is this guy only playing so few minutes... Went he got move to Kalpa I expect that meant he was going to see more time and play a bigger role than he would have in the SHL.

He wouldn't have made Frölunda, so he is getting a larger role. Perhaps a more appropriate level for Ikonen would have been Allsvenskan but Ikonen has been making some progress as of late. He probably bit off a bit more than he could chew with Liiga but he's still chewing.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I watched Kalpa games at the beginning of the season, and i legit thought he wasn't playing. He is very invisible out there. But hey, he's a 58th pick, so expecting him to dominate in men's league so quickly is probably a bit silly, yeah? The kid has so much time to develop, he is just getting his first taste of playing with men.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I watched Kalpa games at the beginning of the season, and i legit thought he wasn't playing. He is very invisible out there. But hey, he's a 58th pick, so expecting him to dominate in men's league so quickly is probably a bit silly, yeah? The kid has so much time to develop, he is just getting his first taste of playing with men.

He seems to be a very different player than Lehkonen. Lehkonen is solid in all areas, though not elite in skill. Ikonen may have that raw talent quality - once he gets polish in the other apsects of his game, and develops more strength, his talent may flourish.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ikonen will either go the Collberg route or he will become a skilled top 6er.

Wouldn't be surprised with either outcome but happy we gambled on talent. Won't be mad if he Collbergs.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I agree Ikonen was worth the gamble where he was selected, but (and I've held this opinion since pre-draft) I don't think he's anything special. I think he's going to end up a guy who plays an offensive role on a bottom 6 line ala Hudon. Not a true top 6er, but a skilled NHLer none the less.

Reactions: dralaf

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Wouldn't be surprised with either outcome but happy we gambled on talent. Won't be mad if he Collbergs.

Same here. Great pick when we did it. Sucks that this kid is not in the CHL. Really can't believe, unless it's his choice, that we can't come to an agreement sending him to a place he can play and grow. Those teams don't need him at all. He was loaned. And to the place he was loaned, he's not playing. Insane.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree Ikonen was worth the gamble where he was selected, but (and I've held this opinion since pre-draft) I don't think he's anything special. I think he's going to end up a guy who plays an offensive role on a bottom 6 line ala Hudon. Not a true top 6er, but a skilled NHLer none the less.

You had seen him play? It doesn't make as much sense to have a definite opinion on a kid not even 1 year after his draft, playing in a league extremely tough to play in. He'd be in the CHL and he'd be PPG and we would drool over him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You had seen him play? It doesn't make as much sense to have a definite opinion on a kid not even 1 year after his draft, playing in a league extremely tough to play in. He'd be in the CHL and he'd be PPG and we would drool over him.
Guys like him, who are his size and play like he does, rarely are able to do those things in the NHL on a consistent basis. If they are, they are special, special players. Clayton Keller is one guy who I thought was the real deal in recent years, we ended up not even having a chance to draft him, but those guys are very rare. This is just my observation from observing the draft over the last 15 years.

But to be clear, definitely worth the risk where we took him and I'd be happy if he ends up a Hudon type.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Guys like him, who are his size and play like he does, rarely are able to do those things in the NHL on a consistent basis. If they are, they are special, special players. Clayton Keller is one guy who I thought was the real deal in recent years, we ended up not even having a chance to draft him, but those guys are very rare. This is just my observation from observing the draft over the last 15 years.

But to be clear, definitely worth the risk where we took him and I'd be happy if he ends up a Hudon type.

The league is changing year by year. It's becoming more and more of a speed and skill game. A lot more smaller players are succeeding.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not worried about him, he's got skill and speed, he's either going to figure it out over the next few years or he won't. I don't think it's a bad move for him to be in liiga unless his icetime drops very low and stays that way.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not worried about him, he's got skill and speed, he's either going to figure it out over the next few years or he won't. I don't think it's a bad move for him to be in liiga unless his icetime drops very low and stays that way.
He's on a bit of an upswing now that they've put him back on a line with Texier . His minutes are up a bit and he's looked a lot better all around. His last game against Jukurit might have been the best I've seen him play this year, he made a lot of nice plays and could have easily ended the game with a couple more points. So there's been some improvement at least, with Lavoie leaving the team he might get a bit more PP time too which will help, until Kalpa brings a new vet in.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's on a bit of an upswing now that they've put him back on a line with Texier . His minutes are up a bit and he's looked a lot better all around. His last game against Jukurit might have been the best I've seen him play this year, he made a lot of nice plays and could have easily ended the game with a couple more points. So there's been some improvement at least, with Lavoie leaving the team he might get a bit more PP time too which will help, until Kalpa brings a new vet in.

To add to this, losing Lavoie is addition by subtraction. I have seen Ikonen feed Lavoie with a fair number of chances in the slot to see them shanked off a shin pad or blasted high and wide. With Texier at least he has someone to defer to, which is a big part of the young man's game in Liiga.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
To add to this, losing Lavoie is addition by subtraction. I have seen Ikonen feed Lavoie with a fair number of chances in the slot to see them shanked off a shin pad or blasted high and wide. With Texier at least he has someone to defer to, which is a big part of the young man's game in Liiga.
Lavoie has puzzled me a lot, at the beginning of the year I liked his game enough to hope the Habs would keep an eye on him as a free agent. Sadly he REALLY cooled off after a few games, to the point where he was a complete depth guy the last few weeks. He was way better in the allsvenskan last year.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He has average speed.. maybe it will improve but his lack of size and speed is the main reason why he is struggling to adjust to Pro level hockey.. I was expecting a rough first year in the Pro even before the season starts and it looks like I was bang on..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I laughed at all the people claiming Ikonen was a superior prospect to Poehling following the draft. Now maybe they will listen in the future.

Not dismissing Ikonen by any means but there are significant improvements needed on his part. He needs to gain a little power in his stride and really needs to learn how to play the pro game. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that his current approach will be successful at higher levels.. With this being said, these are common deficiencies in most prospects. I like the pick but it was ridiculous how the majority of this fan base rated him above Poehling. He is likely a 5 year project, but may very well be worth it in the end as he does have top six potential.

Reactions: Hansman

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
And your last sentence is why I like the pick. Top 6 potential. You can't internally add top 6 players unless you draft kids with that potential.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

You must be coming around to Poehling. I could see you still preferring the Ikonen pick, and it still is very early, but could you really lopsidedly still think the Ikonen pick is so much better than the Poehling pick?

It's really just looking to me that Ikonen could very well still has higher upside but it's not by much and it's not by so much that it overshadows how much more of a sure thing Poehling is.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I still think he's got more skill than Lehkonen and hence a higher ceiling. But Lehkonen has an impressive all around game that few players, including Ikonen, have. I like Ikonen's ceiling. Let's just be patient with him, and our other raw talent, Scherbak, as they mature mentally and physically. With raw talents like them, who are on the lanky side, we have to give them time develop physically.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I laughed at all the people claiming Ikonen was a superior prospect to Poehling following the draft. Now maybe they will listen in the future.

Not dismissing Ikonen by any means but there are significant improvements needed on his part. He needs to gain a little power in his stride and really needs to learn how to play the pro game. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that his current approach will be successful at higher levels.. With this being said, these are common deficiencies in most prospects. I like the pick but it was ridiculous how the majority of this fan base rated him above Poehling. He is likely a 5 year project, but may very well be worth it in the end as he does have top six potential.

I think after the McCarron, De la Rose, and Crisp picks, people were worried we were just reaching for size for size's sake with Poehling. But he's apparently playing really well. From all reports it sounds like he's our #1 prospect. Poehling sounds like a Pacioretty type prospect - a big NCAA forward that was more under the radar than he should have been pre-draft.

But if Scherbak graduates and Ikonen makes something happen in the second half of the season this year, Ikonen could be our #2 best prospect. He stood out big time at development camp this year. That's something I only remember good players like Hudon, Sergachev, Gallagher, and Latendresse doing. It's a really good sign. But like you said, we will have to be patient with him. He has to develop physically and prove his work ethic.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't Lehkonen start off slowly one year after he was drafted and then pick it up? Hopefully Ikonen can find his groove.

he had some injury problems I believe. But they just don't compare well, Lehkonen at 16 played 18 games in Liiga, at 17 he had 30 pts in 45 games, played for Team Finland at both the U-18's and WJC's (9 pts in 7 games @ U-18, 4 pts in 6 games WJC's) at 17 Ikonen did pick up 8 pts in 7 games at the U-18's.

To me Lehkonen at least appears to be on just another level then Ikonen, he was likely a 1st round pick that only fell due to his concussion and lack of size. We'll see what Ikonen turns into though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->