Prospect Info: #53 Filip Hronek

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think the CHL would be good for him, have to think he will be selected right?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

I think the CHL would be good for him, have to think he will be selected right?

Picked by Saginaw at #14. Clearly the Wings try to find a place close by for these guys, similar to Saarijärvi last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Picked by Saginaw at #14. Clearly the Wings try to find a place close by for these guys, similar to Saarijärvi last year.

Awesome!

I know they already have Niemalainen and Middleton, hopefully he can carve out some minutes. Hope he gets some healthy PP time, more than anything.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Awesome!

I know they already have Niemalainen and Middleton, hopefully he can carve out some minutes. Hope he gets some healthy PP time, more than anything.

He'd automatically be the best defenseman for Saginaw, probably him and Nemo would be even. By the descriptions, him and Middelton would pair well. Middleton being the big stay at home type with Hronek being the puck mover. Would assume as well him and Nemo would also be the PP QB's as well. I'm sure he'll get his minutes if he comes to Saginaw.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Is Saginaw having any issues getting players to sign and report? I heard that Niemelainen may not be returning.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This is the pick I'm most nervous about. Way more than Smith.

Glad I'll be able to have an informed opinion on him sooner than later, because he'll be easy to see in Saginaw.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Is Saginaw having any issues getting players to sign and report? I heard that Niemelainen may not be returning.

The issue with Nemo is he's technically on loan. Think Julis Jonka here. So the CHL/NHL agreement is kinda out the window. So he could head to Europe, AHL, ECHL, OHL. But OHL is still best for him. Not ready to play against grown men yet.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Main prospect boards had him ranked as the top European defender of the draft. He must have some good tools.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
European located defender?

Tough think this guy is better than Juolevi or Sergachev.

Those guys arent considered European skaters for the scouting services because they spent their draft years in North America. Hronek was the top ranked guy for all dmen playing in Europe.

Obviously hes not better than the guys that went like top 5 or 10 in the draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Believe he was the first drafted player taken in the CHL Draft. Have a good feeling about this kid.

“To get him over on a North American rink, on the smaller ice surface, will be very beneficial,†Wings assistant general manager Ryan Martin told the Free Press. “He's a good skater and he moves the puck well, but on a smaller ice surface, the timing is different. So this will be really beneficial for his development as he prepares to turn pro.â€

It will be good for Hronek linguistically as he doesn't speak English, and for him physically as he needs to grow his 6-foot, 160-odd-pound frame.

“He needs to get stronger, and being right up the road, he'll get visits from our director of player development,†Martin said, referring to Jiri Fischer, who conveniently is Czech.

“We have a good relationship with the people in Saginaw, so that's a positive, too,†Martin said.

Sounds like a great situation for his development, like that Fischer will be checking up on him.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/28/detroit-red-wings-filip-hronek/86492642/

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Just noticed for people scared about his production. In tournaments for the Czech he has 2-3 points in 5 games in two of them

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay, Guy comes in and impresses right from the start.

This is what we need our prospects to do. Larkin did the same from first look.

He's freaking 18-year old, weak as hell and plays best. Challenges bigger guys.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...016_pick_filip.html#incart_river_mobile_index

From old article, Hronek was exactly what Tyler Wrigth describes him.

Tyler Wright, the Red Wings director of amateur scouting, said of Hronek after the club selected him: "We had him extremely high. He's a very good skater, has very good hockey sense, a very good puck-mover. He can run a power play. He plays with a little bit of a bite. He's not the biggest guy, which is a little bit of a downside, but everything else he did well for us to not overlook."

How did you others felt about him?

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
He was and probably remains a bit of an enigma, given the lack of footage around.

But, there's not much more he could have done so far. He's come in undersized against bigger guys and demonstrated his great hockey IQ.

I think that description is pretty spot on too, particularly the part about playing with bite. He has some aggression in his game, it's nice to see.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Shame that he's going to the OHL next season. I think he's going to be far too good for that league. He'll be 19 in four weeks. I assume there's not much room in GR for him to play significant minutes, though, so it's probably a better option.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What the hell is the point of being on a bench and not the pressbox at 3:11 and 8:26 minutes a night?...

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
The raw potential is definitely there. He didn't look out of place skating. He made some nice reads. He had a power play where he looked super slick, and one where he looked a little less comfortable. He's definitely going to have to work on getting stronger but I really think he looks like he is a gem in the works. His defensive positioning was great, and he will only get better when he adds that strength to go along with it. He and Renouf looked like a really savvy pairing altogether.

I'm not an expert, of course.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Shame that he's going to the OHL next season. I think he's going to be far too good for that league. He'll be 19 in four weeks. I assume there's not much room in GR for him to play significant minutes, though, so it's probably a better option.

OHL is the best fit for him right now. He had literally never even played on NA ice until a month or two ago.

He needs to get stronger and continue to learn how to play on smaller ice before playing AHL hockey. He also needs to log big minutes, as you said, because last year he played like 4 minutes a game in the extraliga.

Playing this year in the OHL and Saginaw is the ideal fit for him right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What the hell is the point of being on a bench and not the pressbox at 3:11 and 8:26 minutes a night?...

Why the hell would the pressbox be better than getting some action in preseason games?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
OHL is the best fit for him right now. He had literally never even played on NA ice until a month or two ago.

He needs to get stronger and continue to learn how to play on smaller ice before playing AHL hockey. He also needs to log big minutes, as you said, because last year he played like 4 minutes a game in the extraliga.

Playing this year in the OHL and Saginaw is the ideal fit for him right now.

Was that Saginaw defence rumoured to be somewhat stacked? It will be very interesting to see if Hronek starts outplaying some higher touted prospects inside the team...

Will be close-watched guy at becomin season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad