50/50 in the OHL changing.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
I saw a tweet the other day about 50/50 draws and that several OHL teams are now going to use 5050 Central. it is used in the W and Q

http://5050central.com/news_story.html?id=229

I inquired about it and the Frontenacs and 5050 Central sent me this.

Now the old way in kingston was a couple of tables and cash only returns, my issue with this is that winner is paid in cash, many eyes are on the winner and the people in charge of the 50/50 always ask if the winner has accompaniment to get to their car.

This new way looks good

https://t.co/mqmipxlNNO

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I saw a tweet the other day about 50/50 draws and that several OHL teams are now going to use 5050 Central. it is used in the W and Q

Now the old way in kingston was a couple of tables and cash only returns, my issue with this is that winner is paid in cash, many eyes are on the winner and the people in charge of the 50/50 always ask if the winner has accompaniment to get to their car.

This new way looks good

This is the same way they do it at the Jays' games. I think it's a great idea.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Is crime really that bad in Kingston that people can't carry some money to the parking lot? This isn't an issue in the Soo, so it's probably why they are one of the few teams to not adopt the new system.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
In Kingston, no, but being cautious is not a bad thing even in the Soo, but carrying $2500+ in cash with ones name announced and all would be a tempting target for some.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

This new way looks good

This system was introduced during the Memorial Cup in Windsor. I was told it will continue into the future.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I know the Ti-Cats have switched to an electronic 50/50 system this season, and given by the Hamilton Bulldogs Foundation logo at the bottom of the tickets, I suspect they have an arrangement with the Bulldogs to share it in some form. Not sure though if it is the same company.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As someone who rarely buys a 50/50 ticket at a hockey game but knows several other fans who do the idea appears to be a very modern way for 50/50 draws to be handled next season. The only thing I can really say that is a big question is that beyond the new system on how the fan can get their 505/50 tickets would that change prices and in turn when the tickets are drawn in a given market or would that be up to the clubs themselves still when they draw. For example OS would generally announce the winning ticket number at the first stoppage of the 3rd period in any given game or would they have to be drawn at a specific time in a sequence due to the number of teams that would be using that system in a sequence??

Can anyone shine some light on this ???

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As someone who rarely buys a 50/50 ticket at a hockey game but knows several other fans who do the idea appears to be a very modern way for 50/50 draws to be handled next season. The only thing I can really say that is a big question is that beyond the new system on how the fan can get their 505/50 tickets would that change prices and in turn when the tickets are drawn in a given market or would that be up to the clubs themselves still when they draw. For example OS would generally announce the winning ticket number at the first stoppage of the 3rd period in any given game or would they have to be drawn at a specific time in a sequence due to the number of teams that would be using that system in a sequence??

Can anyone shine some light on this ???

Each team will continue to hold their own in house draw.
Not sure what cut the ticketing system will get.

The attraction is the value of the prize will be posted as it increases, hopefully driving sales even higher.
I think the team will continue to dictate when the draw rakes place.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wondering what other thought's are on this?

I think it would be a great idea if there was a 50/50 system that allowed fans at one game to purchase ticket to not only that game but any other game being played that evening in the OHL.

Ex; I buy $10 worth of 50/50 tickets at the game I am at, Kitchener vs. Barrie.
There are 4 other games being played throughout the league that night and I am able to buy 50/50 tickets for any of those games as well. So I spend $5 on the Kingston vs. Ottawa game and $10 on the London vs. Windsor game. There would be an update on all games 50/50 prizes as they increase throughout the evening until a given draw time early in the third period. The rising $$ amounts would be shown at all arenas on the score clock or a TV monitor for each and every game being played that night. IMO this may spur more interest in 50/50 sales league wide and create more revenue for clubs/charities as well.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
I lived in Regina for a time and the Pats started using this. I found that it drove up the interest in buying tickets as people could see the pot rise on the scoreboard. Every draw was easily over 10k!

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
Wondering what other thought's are on this?

I think it would be a great idea if there was a 50/50 system that allowed fans at one game to purchase ticket to not only that game but any other game being played that evening in the OHL.

Ex; I buy $10 worth of 50/50 tickets at the game I am at, Kitchener vs. Barrie.
There are 4 other games being played throughout the league that night and I am able to buy 50/50 tickets for any of those games as well. So I spend $5 on the Kingston vs. Ottawa game and $10 on the London vs. Windsor game. There would be an update on all games 50/50 prizes as they increase throughout the evening until a given draw time early in the third period. The rising $$ amounts would be shown at all arenas on the score clock or a TV monitor for each and every game being played that night. IMO this may spur more interest in 50/50 sales league wide and create more revenue for clubs/charities as well.

Cool idea, but I see one problem with this. The bigger pots will get bigger, and the smaller pots will be forgotten. So let's say I am in a small market (ie. Sudbury). Instead of buying a Subury Wolves 50/50 ticket, I will instead buy one for the London game since it has a bigger pot, and thus lowering the amount the Wolves/Wolves charity would get.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Thanks for the response.
I did think of the same thing but also thought - the loyal fan base will always support their local/home team, maybe even more so with the smaller market's in mind. You might just see a spike in 50/50 sales from sport's fans that like the allure of the gaming/pro-line feel to it.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
Thanks for the response.
I did think of the same thing but also thought - the loyal fan base will always support their local/home team, maybe even more so with the smaller market's in mind. You might just see a spike in 50/50 sales from sport's fans that like the allure of the gaming/pro-line feel to it.

That very well could happen. It would certainly be interesting to see!

For the sake of my wallet... I hope it doesn't haha

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
lol... I hear you there!
I tend to buy 50/50 tickets when/where ever they are available - sports games, carnivals, fairs, ribfest etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->