5 Players that Transcended the Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

mcphee said:
Kovy,you sort of have this 'if I like it it must be the best' thing going on. Personally,I wouldn't watch F1 if I was a homeless guy living in a drainage ditch on Ile Notre Dame, and it's the 1 weekend of the year that I avoid Mtl. You couldn't get me to a Nascar race to rescue my kidnapped children.I'd much rather be at my seat in McGill Stadium and watch CFL football. I don't think anybody's stupid for feeling differently though.

Mcphee I never called anyone stupid for feeling differently. I only disagreed with his post because he thinks that if someone isn't popular in the USA then he's not popular in the world. I was just making a point that USA is just a country like every other one in the world.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
Mcphee I never called anyone stupid for feeling differently. I only disagreed with his post because he thinks that if someone isn't popular in the USA then he's not popular in the world. I was just making a point that USA is just a country like every other one in the world.
True, you didn't. GBC did point out that he was referring to North America, I believe. What the heck, the last race I watched was the drag race at the end of American Graffiti.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nowhere did I say that just because Senna wasn't popular in the U.S. that he isn't popular in the rest of the world. I am well aware that F1 drivers are vastly superior to NASCAR's band of guys who can't make right hand turns. I am well aware that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, and the winner of the F1 world series is the true world motorsports champion.

I am also well aware of the high regard that Senna is held globally, especially in his native Brazil. The three days after his death are the three days with the lowest crime rates in the history of the country. The entire country essentially shut down for the day of his funeral. It's probably the greatest outpouring of mourning and support for a deceased athlete that I have ever seen. (Roberto Clemente would be close). F1 is incredibly popular in Brazil (I think it trails only soccer in terms of popularity), and Senna was the greatest of Brazil's many great F1 drivers. (Piquet, Emerson Fittipaldi, etc.) If not for the crash, he probably would have broken Juan Fangio's record for most career world championships. (A mark that Michael Schumacher has since surpassed, although with little competition).

KOVALEV10*

God Bless Canada said:
Nowhere did I say that just because Senna wasn't popular in the U.S. that he isn't popular in the rest of the world. I am well aware that F1 drivers are vastly superior to NASCAR's band of guys who can't make right hand turns. I am well aware that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, and the winner of the F1 world series is the true world motorsports champion.

I am also well aware of the high regard that Senna is held globally, especially in his native Brazil. The three days after his death are the three days with the lowest crime rates in the history of the country. The entire country essentially shut down for the day of his funeral. It's probably the greatest outpouring of mourning and support for a deceased athlete that I have ever seen. (Roberto Clemente would be close). F1 is incredibly popular in Brazil (I think it trails only soccer in terms of popularity), and Senna was the greatest of Brazil's many great F1 drivers. (Piquet, Emerson Fittipaldi, etc.) If not for the crash, he probably would have broken Juan Fangio's record for most career world championships. (A mark that Michael Schumacher has since surpassed, although with little competition).

Oh sorry if I misunderstood you then I completely agree with your post.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
About Senna.. who cares if the americans dont know him. USA isn't the only country in the world you know. All of Europe knows who Senna is. Americans could watch there stupid Nascar all they want, Formula 1 is the flagship of racing.

Your diplomacy is stunning.. Ever considered offering your skills for political office?

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Your diplomacy is stunning.. Ever considered offering your skills for political office?

Yeah at least when I feel something I dont hide it I say it to their face. I've met a lot of people like you trying to make it sound like they're the good guy. Quit quoting my posts you ignorant fool you're ruining the once great hockey history forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->