Line Combos: 5 man units?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I’m not sure if Babcock ever has or ever would entertain this idea, but what if the Leafs went to using 5-man units rather than thinking of the forward lines and defense pairings separately?

I get the challenges (more forward lines than defense pairings, forwards take shorter shifts), but it’s been done before. The Red Wings did it back in the 90s when they had their “Russian 5”. Their chemistry was magical as depicted in the documentary called “Red Army” (which by the way is a very good documentary for any hockey fan, if you haven’t seen it already).

We likely lack the proper line up to do it, and Babcock probably wouldn’t ever go down that road anyways, but it’s interesting to think about.

Maybe what I’m really hoping for is our top up-tempo style of play forwards to be out there with our top up-tempo style defensemen (i.e. Reilly-Matthews) as much as possible. I feel like there is chemistry to be had there, just like there’s chemistry between forwards.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It was a thing with the Russian 5 in Detroit but I don't think that happens anymore.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How Babs rolls ...
  • Babs uses Rielly/Hainsey on road with the Matthews line, for support.
  • Babs uses Rielly/Hainsey at home with the Kadri line, for defensive support.

Last edited:

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Im pretty sure Babs does this much more than other coaches already. Kadri's line and Reilly's pairing almost played the whole game against Crosby's line at home for example.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Maybe what I’m really hoping for is our top up-tempo style of play forwards to be out there with our top up-tempo style defensemen (i.e. Reilly-Matthews) as much as possible. I feel like there is chemistry to be had there, just like there’s chemistry between forwards.

I'd like to see more as well. I find myself a little amazed by how boring and blunt we can look given the talent out there. But Babcock's "ways" kind of leaned themselves to that. I mean team Canada in Sochi was quite boring considering it was a $150m super team.

With Babcock - his persistence with the match-ups preclude any possibility of having his own "Russian 5" type of line. Also he loves his 4th line which would mess things ups as well.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well you do have 4 forward lines and 3 defence pairs., so that doesn't work And PP and PK screws up the personnel.
And if you're a line or dman matcher like Babcock, it's impossible to have a set five.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
How Babs rolls ...
  • Babs uses Rielly/Hainsey on road with the Matthews line, for support.
  • Babs uses Rielly/Hainsey at home with the Kadri line, for defensive support.
Ok, well if that’s the case, then I guess I’m only hoping for more Rielly with the Matthews line at home. And also for them to get the most minutes. Hopefully Babcock has a plan in place to ramp up their ice time as we get closer to the post season. Less Komarov and Gardiner, more Matthews and Reilly.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I'd like to see more as well. I find myself a little amazed by how boring and blunt we can look given the talent out there. But Babcock's "ways" kind of leaned themselves to that. I mean team Canada in Sochi was quite boring considering it was a $150m super team.

With Babcock - his persistence with the match-ups preclude any possibility of having his own "Russian 5" type of line. Also he loves his 4th line which would mess things ups as well.

Yeah I figure the constant line matching by Babs doesn’t allow for a set 5 and we probably won’t see it as long as he’s coach. And maybe that’s the right approach with this lineup at this time, I don’t know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad